Author Topic: Skin request  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:05:53 PM »
It would be awesome if any of you Master Skinners out there would take it upon yourself to make this p51b skin.

This crate has a rather unique history. Originally it was called "Z-Hub" (43-6365) and was flown by 1:st Lt Eldon E Posey (0-789342) of the 354 FG 355 FS.

During a mission close to Stettin in northern Germany, the 13th of May 1944, Lt Posey made an emergency landing, due to lack of fuel, at Rinkeby in Sweden.

Lt Posey was interred in Korsnäs in Sweden for the violation of swedish airspace, but was allowed to return to England June 7th 1944. "Z-Hub", now known as Fv26001 Vit David (White Delta),remained in sweden, sold by the US Goverment to the swedish air force.

This picture is the only one in colour i could get a hold of. The paintscheme is supposed to be an olive green with grey underside, a white "D" on the fin and a white prophub. The letters "16" are yellow and tell what field this aircraft was stationed at, in this case F16 outside Uppsala.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »
You're sure they bought it properly, and it wasn't just "captured"?

I ask because HTC won't accept "captured" skins. No red star 190Ds, and that sort of thing.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Skin request
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:08:49 PM »
That would be extremely cool, but I also can't find any records of Swedish P51s going into combat.  It seems most of them were bought as surplus after the war ended in Europe and the Army Air Corps was winding down the European stocks.

The only references I have found on Z-Hub is the interment.  That and it was retired in 1952.

Very, very nice idea, but I'm not sure it would fly.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:54:31 PM »
I am sure, I've done some extensive research on the matter. It was bought, as was three others at about the same time: "You've had it" (44-13917) ,  "Hot Pants" (43-6461) and "Mary Ann" (44-13345).

In the fall of 1944 sweden sent two officers from the air force, General Bengt Nordenskiöld and major Frank Cervell, to England to take a look at suitable aircraft for the swedish air force to buy. Upon their reccomendations the swedish government later decided for either the P47, or the p51.

In march 1945 the swedish government opted to buy 50 mustangs, and in april 43 of the mustangs were flown over to sweden from england.

Anyways, the first ones, including "Z-Hub", were the first ones to be "delivered" since they already were in sweden.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
Picture of the 51B in question.  Appears to be a silver bird not OD/Gray.

Problem is they didn't see any combat.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »
We know "seeing combat" is a criteria for adding new aircraft, but is it one for adding a skin to an existing aircraft?

That's a serious question, btw. There was an interesting canadian training skin for the C-47 I contemplated once, but it never saw combat. I'm curious what other folks think on this matter.

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »
That paintscheme came about in about 1946 or 1947, a first it was OG/G.
 As far as the combat, it's the type of aircraft that has to have seen combat, NOT the skin:)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:19:31 AM »
I don't know that it's the type of aircraft that has seen combat that allows the skin however.

I don't believe postwar schemes are allowed or we'd see all kinds of different Spitfire paint jobs for different countries.  What about Swiss birds.  They had lots of interned stuff during the war and certainly had 109s that were flying combat patrols on their borders but they were not a combatant in WW2.

I'd love to see other paint schemes but my understanding is that it needs to be a wartime combatant scheme.

THanks for the other view of that bird btw.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 03:44:32 AM »
Guppy, the Og/g paintscheme IS a wartime skin.
I understand your concern though, and I think you are right, post-wartime skins shouldnt be alllowed. This is not the case here though.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:16:20 AM »
Originally posted by Wash0ut
Guppy, the Og/g paintscheme IS a wartime skin.
I understand your concern though, and I think you are right, post-wartime skins shouldnt be alllowed. This is not the case here though.

So the question becomes then does a skin from a non-combatant country from that time frame count?

Again, using the Swiss 109s as an example.  They were up and flying border patrols during that time and guiding in damaged aircraft from both sides.  Lets face it those red trimmed Swiss 109Es would be very colorful in the AH skies.  What about Portuguese Spitfires, 190s, and their  P38 that was interned and used by their AF at the time?

Does that count?  Z Hub never saw combat in it's Swedish markings even though it did see combat in it's 354th FG markings.

I'm glad I don't have to decide :)

Interesting view of Z-Hub post interned but pre repaint.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 05:11:07 AM »
So the question becomes then does a skin from a non-combatant country from that time frame count?

Now this is a good question. Skuzzy?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:11:36 AM »
Guppy, I believe the swiss purchased the 109s, so you might see a swiss 109E skin (didn't we have one before they redid the 109s??), but no captured skins

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 02:56:36 PM »
Krusty, if that is the case, I beleive the "white delta" skin would be approved, yes?
Would you wanna take it upon yourself to make it?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skin request
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
I'll pass, but only because I have a dozen others waiting to be made. :cool:

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
Skin request
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
Anyone else wanna try their hand at it?