Author Topic: Subs  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »
Wolf packs - just like fleets but underwater and a lot slower.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Subs
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 05:56:06 AM »
And they would be point-and-shoot subs traveling at periscope depth?

HTC would then need to model a _ton_ of things for that to work. It would take months if not years to make.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:36 AM »
Not to be a killjoy, but subs in WWII were primarly used for shipping disruption.  There isn't exactly a bustling economy of shipping to stop in AH.  And, WWII subs did not have surface to surface attack missiles so sneaking up on and banging away at a town would be out.  (If I recall correctly, and I could very well be wrong, I think most of the subs only had a single 5' gun on the deck for armament - other than the shipping torps)

So the only real target would be enemy fleets.  Can you imagine the fun and excitement of putting around for hours at 8 knots looking for a moving enemy fleet?  Some people have a hard enough time trying to find them from the air at 300mph.  So, to find the subs there would have to be a boon of spies which then ruin the other aspects of the game.

I think subs would be an interesting twist but I just don't see the utility of them in AH even if they could coad them in quickly; and, I think (my opinion) that it could even have an adverse effect on the game.

NC LawMan
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Subs
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
I myself would enjoy submarines, yet when you have task groups traveling at 50 MPH and subs only travel at 8 knots, that's not near chasing speed. Although in reality the task group was faster than the sub, the differentiation wasn't that large.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Subs
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »
killjoy :rofl
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 01:25:01 PM »
It could work. If each side had, say, a single wolfpack which spawned and behaved just like a fleet - albeit much slower, then the trick would be to vector the wolfpack close to where you think an enemy fleet might be later. Or you could use it to protect a channel or field.

Not exactly furballing - but still...

There was an idea some time ago that naval planes, such as the Condor, PBY, Sunderland etc. could 'spot' an enemy fleet. When this happens then an icon appears on everyone's map to show where the fleet was spotted. This icon would last, say, 10 minutes before disappearing. It wouldn't move with the fleet so it would become quickly out of date.

These planes, especially those equipped with the millimetric radar, could also spot a wolfpack and maybe even attack using depth charges.

This would give us a role for naval planes. Currently fleets are spotted and reported by typing usually so I can't see it unbalancing anything, although I can't see many people using these planes except in special cases anyway as they didn't carry much of a load and frankly, most of our 'seas' are pretty small and fighter cover is pretty extended.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Subs
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »
If you model subs you also need:

new maps
DC
sonar
new planes
new destroyers

Just to name a few things.

You cant just model subs and add them. Without all the rest around sub-surface warfare it would be just way to arcade-like to have point and shoot subs. How many torpedoes would they have? were would they reload after some guy has sprayed after a taskforce? Who would control them?

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 08:28:32 AM »
Subs would open up a whole new level of play for us CV people.Would be interesting to see.
"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
Of couse i would only want subs if the cv's also had depth charges

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
Subs
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
subs?

Offline CAF001

• Zinc Member
Subs
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »
no
these ones

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Subs
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
OOOH... Can I have the K19?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Subs
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
If you model subs you also need:

new maps
DC
sonar
new planes
new destroyers

Just to name a few things.

You cant just model subs and add them. Without all the rest around sub-surface warfare it would be just way to arcade-like to have point and shoot subs. How many torpedoes would they have? were would they reload after some guy has sprayed after a taskforce? Who would control them?

Not to mention you would have to redo the code for water and all water tiles to provide undersea terrain, or at least depth.

Adding subs to the current game would be a very tall order.  Don't see it happening, at least not before AH-3.  The best you could do in the current game code and mechanics would be to add surface subs and merchant shipping (and the return of the Kraken?) as randomly spawned targets that could be engaged.  I would not expect much more than that as things stand now.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Subs
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 03:53:05 AM »
They could just model the periscopes and the launching of torpedoes - but like nearly everyone else I think that would be too 'gamey', particularly as the sea surface is so flat.