Author Topic: Question for the pilots from Texas  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Question for the pilots from Texas
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
if your not allergic to mountain cedar you really can't go wrong in that area.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »
RonnyNelson@gmail.com

40k for lake front on LBJ?

I will take them all!!

That sounds like a lot across the street from the lake.

I have been specializing on the highland lakes for the last 5 years. That is for sure my favorite part of my job.

Remember we do have property tax in Texas (:

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Re: Question for the pilots from Texas
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:57:38 PM »
Originally posted by 1ijac
I saw a TV commercial advertising property on a lake about 60 miles outside of Austin, TX.  It was called Horseshoe Bay.  I was wondering what anyone that knows of the place thought about it.  What the plusses and minuses were about the region.  Thanks in advance.

Jim  1i

Yeah, it's super painful to dive into a bay filled with horseshoes.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »
Stick with FX1's post.

I play golf there from time to time and have spent some time there fishing and camping in that area.

Beautiful area. Worth looking in to I would say.

Austin is growing like crazy. As well as the surrounding areas. Round Rock , Georgetown , Cedar Park , Pflugerville , Oak Hill , Hutto , Leander and a few more.

Best of Luck and Welcome to Texas if you should happen to move here.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 12:48:49 AM »
Thanks again!

Jim  1i
"One-Eye"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 01:15:50 AM »
The Sandyland Resort, Kingsland, Texas.

I spent many summers there with my family in the 70's for family reunions.  My grandfather had a lakehouse a couple miles from it.  Some of my best memories are from there.

I just may have to go revisit it soon.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »
If you move to Austin the traffic will make you feel right back in California. The main city is very congested and there are too few highways / freeways to move traffic, especially in an East to West direction. Even in the middle of the day you can still get to a significant slowdown and a ton of congestion. It's also a high cost of living area for Texas, may be considered quite moderate to a Southern Californian.

The Hill country is indeed nice and there are some really nice roads for motorcycling in the area. Once you ge away from the major cities traffic eases up and you can enjoy the drive. While the winters don't have a significant amount of snow there can be ice storms that will be rather nasty.

Property values are getting very pricey and it's a buyers market right now. Our friends here are waiting for the market to turn a bit before they downsize their house in Round Rock. ( A REALLY neat little town and friendly) There is almost anyting you might want in a store or entertainment in the area. Several wineries are in a short drive around the city.

We've been in Round Rock for a week now and will stay for at least a couple more days before heading to Houston.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 11:01:13 AM »
Mav,

If you get a chance to eat some Tex Mex....There is a small restaurant in Hutto near the Home Depot.....Great food. Cant for the life of me think of the name.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 12:09:55 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
RonnyNelson@gmail.com

Remember we do have property tax in Texas (:

Yeah, keep an eye on the tax burden if you're doing this as an investment. Not that you need me to tell you that, especially if you're already investing in California land.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline SH33P

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 03:39:25 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
Texas hill country.  Good choice.  I can't live there because the mountain ceder would kill me.

ALLERGIES ARE HORRIBLE,

I've been here less than a year and I have been plagues with red cedar sickness! The trees literally "EXPLODE" and plumes of yellow pollen will fill the area when they pop. If your standing next to one of the cedars when this happend you can hear the popping sound. It's enough to scare the bejebus out of you if you've never experienced it. If you have sinus problems don't move here!

Yes the deer love headlights too. I live in North Austin at the Austin/Round Rock city limit and the deer are always wandering on the roads and into our apartment complex. It was awesome to watch them trying to walk on ice during the December ice storm.

Other than this and the high cost of living it is a beautiful place to live.