Author Topic: Karelia - setup starting on the 30th  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Karelia - setup starting on the 30th
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Sheesh Slash your nose just got longer.:confused:

ssshhh!!!:furious

:D

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Tired of Peek A Boo.....
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Dont think your frustration has not been felt by others in the AvA including those on the staff. We are players first. But let me ask you this Chilli, is it the base taking settings only thats bothering you or the stance on base taking from the staff? If you want to take undefended bases with settings like the MA you are barking up the wrong tree.

My solution?:confused:   I only offer my opinion.  That opinion is to give a somewhat reasonable downtime on objects (default times should be adequate - but that is where someone feels they  need to exert some control).  :cool:   What is bothering me, is that no one is on to "dogfight" and 30 second downtimes make it a futile journey to up any vehicle (in hopes of drawing the attention of a possible combatant).:mad:

Look, I am available most days EST while most of you are at work and might  see a different community.  If you would like to bring me into your area of management, I would welcome the responsibility.:p  

To make a guess as to what  can be done, I would need more information.:noid  I don't need the secret to Windows Vista or Hitech's password for his laptop.  (The location of the keys to his Porche would be cool:aok).

I really, don't want to be too abrasive on BBS.  If I am, it is a sign of my frustration.  I would welcome a further discussion away from BBS, feel free to PM me.  :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:18:25 PM by Chilli »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »
Just my opinon................

A few years ago the AVA or CT as it was called then, had a bigger following. You could usually find 20 or so on a week night, with as many as 50 or more during the peak Tuesday/ Thursday night squad meets.

The difference then and now?

There were bases to capture. This isnt a slap at the staff, just an observation. I understand arena porking is a problem with no immeiate fix.

However the AVA seems to become the home to the cult of the individual fight. It had more people when there were more options. Bases that could be taken, buff missions that meant something, GV battles ect. There was a time when some actually complained because of the squadrons that populated the arena were too dominate.  Now there never seems to be enough people in at one time to support even a small squadron. When theres a few people in AVA it's as fun as it ever was, but it's hard to find anybody in the arena.

I appreciate all you staffers try to do to get the numbers up. It seems to me like the more you devote the AVA to the pure dogfight the less people use it. I thought the day would never come when I would prefer the MA to the AVA, but the lack of people in the arena has done just that for me anyway.

Again just an opinon, no criticism intended.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
I agree
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »
I want to put those Panzerkampfwagens and T34/76's to use!

:D

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »
Shifty, the bases are capturable now, just require double the troops. Didn't seem to bother the people capturing the bases while we were having a furball over the area today. (edit: 20 of us Finns furballing over some area while one of the bases underneath was captured... speak about target fixation ;))

, say hi to your son.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:35:33 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
Shifty, the bases are capturable now, just require double the troops. Didn't seem to bother the people capturing the bases while we were having a furball over the area today. (edit: 20 of us Finns furballing over some area while one of the bases underneath was captured... speak about target fixation ;))

, say hi to your son.

I think that's a good step upping the troop requirements.
I'll tell Thomas you said hello, I'm hoping to have him fighting with us here before too long. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Just my opinon................

A few years ago the AVA or CT as it was called then, had a bigger following. You could usually find 20 or so on a week night, with as many as 50 or more during the peak Tuesday/ Thursday night squad meets.

The difference then and now?

There were bases to capture. This isnt a slap at the staff, just an observation. I understand arena porking is a problem with no immeiate fix.

However the AVA seems to become the home to the cult of the individual fight. It had more people when there were more options. Bases that could be taken, buff missions that meant something, GV battles ect. There was a time when some actually complained because of the squadrons that populated the arena were too dominate.  Now there never seems to be enough people in at one time to support even a small squadron. When theres a few people in AVA it's as fun as it ever was, but it's hard to find anybody in the arena.

I appreciate all you staffers try to do to get the numbers up. It seems to me like the more you devote the AVA to the pure dogfight the less people use it. I thought the day would never come when I would prefer the MA to the AVA, but the lack of people in the arena has done just that for me anyway.

Again just an opinon, no criticism intended.

Well spoken and although I am not certain that base capture is the key.  I agree with everything you said.  The foundation for the AvA is most definitely the historical based squadrons.  Their departure is what has brought the AvA to the ghost town that it has become.  For the AvA to prosper, we have to get them back.  I have my opinions and in the past have been quite vocal about them, so no need to go into much detail about what I think would work.  But I do know that an arena setting isn't going to be the fix.  It is the community that existed in the CT that made it strong.  Catering to the "individual fight", imo is just a by product of the decomposition of the community.  My hope is things like this upcoming HARM mission, will help bring the squads back.  Not just on Sunday nights but all week long.

I have to stop there, because that is all that the judge allows me to post per day on the AvA forum. :aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »
Originally posted by TheBug
But I do know that an arena setting isn't going to be the fix.  

No one said it was.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
No one said it was.

Was referring to whether or not base capture was on having a great impact upon the population of the arena.  Along those lines I believe a couple have.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »
Originally posted by TheBug
Was referring to whether or not base capture was on having a great impact upon the population of the arena.  Along those lines I believe a couple have.

From our end it was not intended as a fix I should have said..

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
From our end it was not intended as a fix I should have said..

Rgr that!  Sorry didn't mean to imply that I thought the Staff intended that as a fix, which I of course don't think you did.   Was thinking doesn't matter which way you set it, it won't have an impact upon the AvA's population.  But that is purely just my opinion.  But I can very much see how the elimination of base capture can make arena maintenance  a bit easier.  Heaven knows we ain't short of yahoos in this game.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 12:46:13 AM »
They are hard at work resetting the map as we speak.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Relief
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 07:49:45 AM »
:aok  Relieved to see arena settings for "downtime" have been adjusted.

So, much discussion about gameplay, I didn't get to give enough praise for the excellent map.  It was actually fun looking for the ack guns hidden in the bunkers.  If you haven't seen this map you have to check it out:D

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »
I just spent 20 minutes in a freakin 109 lining up for the furball tailing storch and republic and got HCL

AUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Nite all :mad:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 10:14:37 AM »
Arena has been reset for new tour, I reloaded the settings, let me know if something's gone totally wrong.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3