Author Topic: 2 quick questions.  (Read 586 times)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »
Thanks alot, but sorry for wasting your time guys.  i'll thank you again in the MA or at the next SE.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:23 PM »
Ok..

Got the Ram today, plugged it in.

Plugged in the power supply.
Connected the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Went to turn on the computer, and nothing.
Well, the little blue light in the front of the case comes on for a split second but that's it.

I have 2 case fans running to the power supply, so shouldn't they at least spin?

The power supply fans don't spin either.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »
New update.. i think i fried the motherboard by connecting the wrong 4-pin connector. yayyyyy!

Just got off the phone with the guy from tech support. Found out that that your supposed to connect, the 2black/2yellow 4pin connector.

So i did what he suggested and nothing happened.  Then i did what else he said, which was to remove the power cables, then the battery, jump the cmos pins for 5 seconds, put the battery back in, and see if it works.

Negative. no dice....

Guess i have to go through the tedious process of removing everything from the motherboard, and send it back and hopefully get a new one under warranty.
Crap. i guess i wont get to play for a few more days.

Hope you guys get a laugh outa my misery, :lol

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »
I'm just wondering how many PC's you have ever built ? I suspect none because just about everyone who has, would have been in the BIOS at some stage.

I mean some things don't always get spealt out for you like using spacers to mount the motherboard. I have read about people mounting them without spacers and some who have even got away with it.

If this is your first PC build I hope you got some information about how to assemble it properly. Other simple things are the facts that most main power supply elements are frequently polarised to make sure you fit them correctly. But I have known people who have forced connections on upside down to a drive!

Get some-one who has done it before to check it over for you. Better still take the whole lot in as you have assembled it. It's all very well assuming the motherboard is dead and stripping it out, but seeing how you have built it may well prevent a repeat happening!

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 09:32:20 PM »
yeah this is my first build..

Thing is, on  the power supply the main motherboard 24- pin, and the 4-pin were wrapped up in there own seperate loom.  I figured they did that so you wouldn't accidently plug in the wrong ones.  Guess not.  The 4-pin that i was supposed to use was with all the other connectors.

I probably could get someone to build it for me, but i'd rather do it myself and even if i mess up a little along the way, i've learned something valuable for the future.

The best way to learn is to have someone show you step by step what to do, but since i don't, i've been reading web pages, and old posts from here, and asking questions.

I read about the spacers, and i even wore the funny anti-static strap throughout the build, and made sure to ground myself against the chasis and metal on the powersupply before touching any parts that were going into the box..

I'll probably wind up bringing it to the computer store by my house and see if they'll give it a look over without charging me to much.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
2 quick questions.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 07:15:46 AM »
"Guess i have to go through the tedious process of removing everything from the motherboard, and send it back and hopefully get a new one under warranty"

I might be wrong but if "U" messed up the mb they won't replace it free . The warr is for defects etc .

Yes I learned this the hardway , that's why once every 3 years isn't often enough for me to remember all the things that one's suppose to know , plus with things changeing all the time to boot .

Sorry your having problems though , hope you get it all sorted out soon .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
2 quick questions.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
what are your powersupply specs ? and is it a cheapy generic ?
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »
i wound up dropping it off at the local computer shop this morning. i asked the guy to let me know what exactly is wrong with it.  Hopefully it's just the motherboard, or power supply. I was a little discouraged and didn't want to make matters worse.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
2 quick questions.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 11:53:03 PM »
If you gave us pictures and model numbers, I'm sure we could help you put this computer together.

Example of a Watercooling Kit installation.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
2 quick questions.
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 03:18:34 AM »
The only problem with using XP for a month without activating it is you cant update it . Hopefully the disk you have already has service pack 2 atleast on it . IF not i would look at making a SP2 slipstream disk to install with . I have an older pre service pack 1 disk and it always makes me activate before i can update , but i have sp2 on a stand alone disk . While its not a huge problem , i would hate to see you have any security problems , and the pre service pack 1 xp doesnt support usb 2.0  GL  Rukee

I found a link to download stand alone version of service pack 2 , it's always usfull to burn this to a disk rather than having to go to the automatic update site .

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 10:57:53 PM »
I really appreciate all the responses and help offerings from everyone here.  You guys are great!

This time around i bit the bullet at the end and put it in the shop.

Next time around,  probably in two years, i'll take MANY pictures and ask alot more questions.

The copy of xp i ordered came in today, which was a week earlier than expected, so i don't have to worry about it now, but thanks.

I should be flying again monday.

Enjoy the holiday!

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
Just a follow up...  

The guy said i didn't seat something right.  So i'm out $50 but at least i didn't fry anything..

Ingame- Ozone