Author Topic: How to determine cheaters?  (Read 675 times)

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
How to determine cheaters?
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
This is not a flame, accusation, or troll.

How can you tell when somebody is tweaking the game, pulling cords, using aim bots, yadda yadda, and not just 'normal' lag skips or whatever?

What should I (we) look for to  hit alt R and make the effort to bring scummy behaviour to the attention of HTC?

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
there is a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

if you suspect something fishy, film it and send it in.
don't ask here because it will just get locked.
oh and don't wait for answers. they won't answer.

just film it.
send it in.
and forget about it.
they will do the rest.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
If you think you see something weird, film it and send it to HTC. End of story. They will not contact you about it, but if something is found they will deal with it directly.

Having said that I can say that I don't believe it is even possible to "cheat" in this game. Those people that think they see someone cheating are way to paranoid and have been playing other cheap games for way to long.

By the way.......IN!!!!
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Keeler101

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »
Yee Haw Im In

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
IN teresting
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
that's the thing...I don't want to innundate HTC with e-mails just because some guy had a couple of crappy internet packets.

I personally have zipped across 2 sectors in 5 sec for no unknown reason...well...lost UDP switching to TCP....I guess that'll to it.

But where is the line between smells like fish and ridden hard, put away wet?

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:03:46 PM »
IN
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:06:19 PM »
I imagine one of the reasons there is a don't ask don't tell policy is because it would be tempting for others to get hold of said "cheats" and use them.

Any game can be hacked, anyone with the right knowledge can make cheats for a game.

Take Counterstrike for example, I have played it since very early on in its life. In the beginning there were cheaters but weren't often known, and were few and far between because pretty much no-one knew about them.

Then the lid got blown of the cheats and they started circulation files like mad. Now there are many cheats a lot of them blatant, I preferred the old days.

"Ignorance is bliss" never had a more true meaning.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »
Film it, send it IN and forget about it.  HTC will take care of it.  Don't try to ask how people cheat because they don't want to give anyone any ideas.  And the old timers on this board won't tell you either.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »
There is no line. I can say this was brought up at the last con and what I got out of the entire discussion from HiTech is that it is almost impossible to manipulate the game the way people think happens.

I left convinced from the guy who wrote the game that it doesn't happen like people think it does.

Again though, if you see something weird, film it and send it in. If your seeing weird stuff all the time, it might be your connection or hardware that's causing the issue. Something to keep in mind. I know I've seen alot less warping of players since I got my new computer, but I expected that after spending $3500 on the thing.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
IN

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 04:16:41 PM »
Originally posted by ridley1
that's the thing...I don't want to innundate HTC with e-mails just because some guy had a couple of crappy internet packets.

I personally have zipped across 2 sectors in 5 sec for no unknown reason...well...lost UDP switching to TCP....I guess that'll to it.

But where is the line between smells like fish and ridden hard, put away wet?

they rather have emails with these questions, than have it on the board for all to see.

answer to email, I would guess, be the same.

film it.
send it.
forget it.
they will do the rest.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
Most suspicious activity is derived from players who do not understand something they see.  As such, they make accusations. There can be many reasons things happen the way they do.

But HTC is the only resource who can actually determine what happened where something is not understood.

To immediately accuse others of cheating is wrong.  It is wrong as there is not a player in the game who can make that determination.  So what you do when you make that accusation is foster paranoia.  This side effect is far worse than the accusation itself as it lingers.  It festers.  It can become a cancer.  

It is the reason why we are very agressive about following up when a player sends us a film of suspicious activity.  And as we are the only ones who can accurately make the determination, we shut down any discussions of it between the community members as all it can do is foster paranoia.

If you have a film of something you beleive to be suspicious, or do not udnerstand, then your recourse is to email it to us.  Do not let paranoia run amok.  There is no reason to do so.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com