Author Topic: Win2K frame rate unplayable  (Read 681 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Win2K frame rate unplayable
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2000, 03:52:00 PM »
Just spotted that you're running W2K *Server*.

Quite simply, forget it!

Install W2K Workstation.

Dhog

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
hmmm, I dunno, guys, I'm running Win2k Server on a 200MHZ Pent Pro with 128Meg; I run a Viper 550 tnt video. I typically get 20 fps, which drops to 10 when around a main field and especially when in smoke. All-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance considering the hardware. BTW, this is approximately the same performance I get when I boot on Win98.

Dhog out.

thufir

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2000, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks Dhog! Did you do anything to minimize running processes?
I was getting ~24 FPS with this same H/W setup under Win98. I was sure W2k was sucking extra CPU...so much for that.
Pentium Pro 200???? Does your video card do all it's own CPU work?
You mention behavior that counts as duplicating the problem as far as I'm concerned...start at 22 and loose half in the most hectic of graphics. I'm loosing 75% from tower view just watching the field pass me by as I take-off.

The attempted CPU upgrade was unsuccessful after running the VPD update and installing the Celery and got a 060 CPU error-lock upon startup.
The BIOS flash (VPD update) seemed to have no real effect: BIOS date did not change, though the serial/model#s matched. This update came from IBM and has a file-date of 2000, the current BIOS date is 1998, which makes me think the flash didn't ~take~. We'll see.
Onward

Dhog

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2000, 06:31:00 PM »
I haven't even looked at my processes until now... since you mentioned it. I have the following running ALL THE TIME while flying...
1) Seti at Home screen saver
2) Black Ice (firewall software)
3) ICQ
 Since you asked, my system is running 2% busy right now while I type this, and my memory usage is 16k available (Netscape active). I don't know what it is when flying, but may check it later.
I don't think Win2k is bad at all and compares favorably with Win98 performance wise.
Remember, this is with a PentiumPro 200 MHZ running Win2k Server. Yes the Nvidia TNT chip does a lot, but not nearly as much as some of the newer chips.

If you have slow performance, I'd look elsewhere, Win2k is pretty solid.

Dhog out.