Author Topic: American plane  (Read 981 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
American plane
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 07:36:23 PM »
"Cripes kid, grow a pair and up a P-40B."  -'Tex' Hill
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
American plane
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:25 AM »
Ki84 soaks up the lead unless your shooting cannon it can take some hits.

Seems to depend upon circumstances. The Ki-84 is definately more robust than a Zero, but in my own experience it is also very heavily plagued by pilot wounds - any series of 50cal bursts from the rear almost always seems to hurt the pilot, especially when you were caught by 50cal fire during maneuvering.

So if you are somewhat confident in gunnery, and you are very sure you landed some good hits on the fuselage area of the Ki-84 with 50cals when it was evading, the odds are the pilot is hurt and will not be able to respond in any kind of real maneuvering contest for long.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
American plane
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Seems to depend upon circumstances. The Ki-84 is definately more robust than a Zero, but in my own experience it is also very heavily plagued by pilot wounds - any series of 50cal bursts from the rear almost always seems to hurt the pilot, especially when you were caught by 50cal fire during maneuvering.

So if you are somewhat confident in gunnery, and you are very sure you landed some good hits on the fuselage area of the Ki-84 with 50cals when it was evading, the odds are the pilot is hurt and will not be able to respond in any kind of real maneuvering contest for long.

Yeah, that's what usually does me in when I fly Ki-84.  Pilot wounded, and I do my best to ditch before I get kilt.  Often I never see the killing rounds coming due to black out.  No armor to protect the pilot.  At least it does not catch on fire as easily as the Zeke does.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
American plane
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »
FM2!

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
American plane
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »

Ditto! I fly mostly Ki84 and I'm plagued by pilot wounds.... every shot I take in fuselage, pilot's always the first thing to go... these japanese are so weak.... :D
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
American plane
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 08:36:09 AM »
While late-war Japanese fighters were definitely more robust in construction than the Zero, they lacked the level of pilot armor that American fighters were equipped with.

According to one of my sources, "Genda's Blade", diagrams of the N1K2 and Japanese pilot commentary show that it had no pilot armor, relying on passive protections such as internal equipment to provide a small measure or protection for the pilot.

I have no sources on the Ki-84, but it may have followed the same design philosophy.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
American plane
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
Alas, I can assure you it did! :p

Hey Shuckins, who founded your town? It looks like an italian name... :)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
American plane
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 12:23:44 PM »
A quick Google search revealed that the Ki-84 is equipped with a 65mm armour-glass canopy and and additional 13mm head/back armour behind the pilot's seat.

Maybe its suffering from oddities..?

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
American plane
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
Gianlupo,

I'm not a native of Monticello, Arkansas.  The family and I moved here about 12 years ago.  I always assumed that it derived its' name from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, but one should never assume.  

This is a fairly old community, by American standards, and predates the Civil War by several decades.  I have found tombstones in a local cemetery that have dates from the time of Andrew Jackson's presidency.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
American plane
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »
A quick Google search revealed that the Ki-84 is equipped with a 65mm armour-glass canopy and and additional 13mm head/back armour behind the pilot's seat.

Maybe its suffering from oddities..?

Just stating what happens to me a lot of times, Kweassa... maybe I just find sharpshooters on my way! ;)

Shuckins, I didn't know about Jefferson's plantation home... a quick search on the net took me to its website, where, about the name, it says:

«Since Monticello means "hillock" or "little mountain" in Italian, there is a logical explanation for Jefferson's choice. He could have translated into Italian the names that appear in Albemarle County Deed Books as Little Mountain and High Mountain, the latter becoming Montalto, a mountain to the southwest of Monticello that Jefferson acquired in 1777. Jefferson's interest in Italian began as early as 1764 when he purchased an Italian-English dictionary, two historical works in Italian, and the works of Machiavelli. By 1767 Jefferson had also convinced Francesco Alberti, a musician from Faenza, to move into the area so that he could study the violin with him.»

Thanks, I learned something new! :)