Author Topic: Operation Husky -- the next scenario  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Operation Husky -- the next scenario
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »
I just spent an hour scouring the net.  Jeez, it's hard to find enough info on Formidable and Indomitable!  Initially (from most references) it looked like the two carriers had mostly Martlets, but I kept digging and found that it seems like, during the Operation Husky timeframe, Formidable had mostly Martlets and Indomitable had mostly Seafires.

I'll ask Newman (the scenario designer for this one) if he wants to have the RN contingent split up into two forces.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:41:16 PM by Brooke »

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »
Brooke is correct, and it's hard info to find!

The Martlet is being used because it's range with drops is superior to a Seafire.

If you want to fly a Spit, the Spit V is available for pilots.

SALUTE!

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »
Newman we had a question when a object is destroyed lets say a fighter hanger will that fighter hanger stay down all frame or for the whole scenario?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 11:02:55 PM »
2/3rds of the RN force (4 of 6 squads) had Seafires during Husky, with only 2 squads using Martlets:

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Ships/Indomitable.html

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Ships/FORMIDABLE.html

They have drop tanks, btw.

...the defalt Seafire skin in the game is an 885 Sqn a/c used during Husky.

I will leave it at that, not going to labor the point...but its not a big deal to have both I dont think, since the Spit V is already in the setup.

I can appreciate that some info is hard to find, its not an easy task.

Regards.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »
Originally, the Martlet was being used due to it's superior range. In my offline testing, the Seafire would likely not make it home in frame 1.

If the Allies are OK with that possibility, I'm OK with adding the Seafire to the CV main ride pool.

SALUTE!

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 02:20:28 AM »
Rules writeup is updated.  The Indomitable now has Seafires.  :aok

Newman is right, though -- Seafire pilots should defnitely think about ways to get range.  The CV's start quite a ways out from Sicily.

Squire, cool! -- those are the same references I found in my poking around!  Now I feel inept, though, as I have the feeling it didn't take you an hour to find them. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:34:45 AM by Brooke »

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »
When will sides be assigned a CM?  How long is registration?  Do we get a list of objectives for each frame similar to FSO or just the overall objective stated in the Operation writeup?

Just a few questions I had.

Thanks,

Gaidin
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 07:23:40 AM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Rules writeup is updated.  The Indomitable now has Seafires.  :aok

Newman is right, though -- Seafire pilots should defnitely think about ways to get range.  The CV's start quite a ways out from Sicily.

Squire, cool! -- those are the same references I found in my poking around!  Now I feel inept, though, as I have the feeling it didn't take you an hour to find them. :)

Thank you Brooke.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »
Thanks.

Not so much flying the "Best" aircraft but when most squads get a chance to fly their Historical aircaft in a Historical setting like the scenarios they like to have that option. Mark it up to a matter of PRIDE.  

Thanks again for adding the SEAFIRE to the carriers.  :aok

!
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »
Shifty and Jester I assume you will want to fly the seafire?:)  Any chance one of you two might want GL or FL?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »
I'll do an FL if you need it. I can get a flight to follow me, but I don't have enough money to bribe a whole group.;)

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »
Shifty any chance anyone from the 880th that is good with leading would be interested in a GL position for the indomitable CV?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 03:14:33 PM »
Originally posted by Gaidin
When will sides be assigned a CM?  How long is registration?  Do we get a list of objectives for each frame similar to FSO or just the overall objective stated in the Operation writeup?

Just a few questions I had.

Thanks,

Gaidin

Roscoroo is signed up for the allied side and ROC is signed up for the axis side, so it looks like you can consult with ROC.  Also, the axis side has its share of very-experienced and talented non-CM scenario participants who have signed up, including the Finns.  You will have plenty of good advice available.

Registration will run until both sides are full or until just a little before frame 1, whichever comes first.

The rules writeup is the only provided objective.  It lists how victory conditions are judged, and you are free to operate anywhere inside the constraints given with the resources given to achieve glorious victory! :)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 04:42:09 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Shifty any chance anyone from the 880th that is good with leading would be interested in a GL position for the indomitable CV?

We're threatening victims, umm I mean interviewing applicants in 880 right now Husky. I'll see if we can have you a pigeon, err I mean a GL in the morning sir. :aok

Honestly I would volunteer, but I still have a couple of family issues that could hit me unexpectedly. We'll try and get a GL for the Indomitable squared away .

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01

Exactly what does being the "GL" for HMS INDOMITABLE intale? PLEASE ADVISE. I don't have much time in the scenarios so I am kind-of blank on this subject.

!  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"