Author Topic: Turning up the Gamma  (Read 247 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Turning up the Gamma
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:42:31 PM »
I know that turning up the gamma setting on the video card in the Nvidia control panel will eventually ruin your monitor. My question is, will the same thing happen if I use the in-game gamma slider?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Turning up the Gamma
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:43:30 PM »
No, and no.

Turning up gamma (or brightness in any fashion, really) may cause a CRT to "wear out" faster than at lower brightness, but it won't ruin it.  (At least not in the sense thay one day it will just go "kablooey").  

And it won't affect the life of LCD's at all.  

I don't know with certainty regarding a plasma screen.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Turning up the Gamma
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
Turning up gamma (or brightness in any fashion, really) may cause a CRT to "wear out" faster than at lower brightness, but it won't ruin it.

Thats what I was trying to ask. Thanks for the answer. I have a CRT monitor so I guess I'll have to be careful with turning up the gamma in the game.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.