Author Topic: dying Power supply?  (Read 178 times)

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
dying Power supply?
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:50:26 PM »
The last week my PC has been acting up on me. It would run fine for 20 minutes then fps would drop in the crapper and sounds would cut out. I have done everything I can think of updating drivers defragging all the usual stuff none of it works rolling back to a month previous. In fact it has gotten worse. I am good for 1-3 minutes before performance goe to the dogs now. I even took the case off and had a fan blow on the insides hoping it was heat didnt work.

So would a power supply not giving enough juice to power my graphics card cause this?
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
dying Power supply?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:28 AM »
Have you made any physical chages to the PC? Any new cards or drives? Have you done a virus and spyware check yet?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
dying Power supply?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:50:20 AM »
nothing it just came out of the blue. I took it apart again today and gave it a nice cleaning. I am thinking its the power sure. while there was some dust fps is still way down. but not as bad as before.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
dying Power supply?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:21:39 AM »
Well, if you dont have a volt/ohm meter to test it you cant be 100% sure. that being said power supplies aren't to expensive and it sounds like that could be your problem.
Just be sure you have checked all the "usual"  suspects first
Heat
virus
spyware
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!