Author Topic: viva la difference (a calm cool collected skinners perspective on the new version)  (Read 1078 times)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
I don't see a big difference between the old and new. I like the look of the new terrain.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
viva la difference
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
I don't see a big difference between the old and new. I like the look of the new terrain.

how can you miss it, its like black is to white....

the pool table constant green should differ a bit too, browner patches of grass, the odd field boundaries etc.. even on the standard green tile. AH world needs population also... like little villages or something

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
viva la difference
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
Originally posted by Anyone
how can you miss it, its like black is to white....

Hehe, that's the joy of the PC world. No two computers are the same. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:19:14 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Hehe, that's the joy of the PC world. No two computers are the same. :)
Yup, mine looks great! I can understand seeing some of the pics on here. But on my PC everything is pretty bright, looks real nice.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
Man...looking at the old and new side by side, I'd prefer to have the old back. This new stuff just doesnt look good. I thought it may be my end, but seeing what folks have posted I see they have the same view.

Its got the same darkness now that to it WW2OL has had. I know it must be disappointing to them, but somebody should have said something about this during testing.

~AoM~

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
viva la difference
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 09:12:09 PM »
Well the question is, where is HTC and what are they going to do? Leave it as it is, or go back to the old? On my end everything looks great. Like a few others said, I can see the difference between the pictures Fester posted, but honestly to me its not that big of a difference to really demand a change, but then again I'm not puting all the time in doing the skins either.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:19 AM »
Fester bear with the changes.  This was a pretty drastic change to the terrain effects they made, and I'm sure they will tweak it so the colors match better.  It's far too dark now, and I'd be shocked if the colors aren't adjusted even in the patch they're working on.

Right, Waffle?

;)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
viva la difference
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »
I don't mind the new terrain coloring so much, it looks like a very well watered Ireland.  Maybe a little lighter would be better just enough where you can have a little depth perception.  The sheep stand out well.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
viva la difference
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 09:55:21 AM »
I think a lot of it is going to come down to real terrain artists laying out the terrains. I suspect the current terrains got run through a "converter" which replaced the old textures with the new. Thats never going to look as good as a terrain which is lovingly laid down tile by tile.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
viva la difference
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
Originally posted by PK1Mw
Well the question is, where is HTC and what are they going to do? Leave it as it is, or go back to the old?  

The groundwork is layed (Literally) for the new terrain, so going back i don't think is an option.  

I'm betting they'll release a few more patches with the tweaks that make this one much better than old one we're all used to.

IMO once it's a little brighter, and we're able to see that the ground isn't all solid green, it will look finished.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
viva la difference
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36:42 AM »
Citabria

Plane skins aside and only speaking for the terrain itself.

Would you agree that part of the problem with the terrain "carpet" or "Pool table" effect is the lack of some subtle shadowing marking terrain elevation differences. (smaller rolling hills) and such.

The shadowing seems perfect when your in a GV Thus my claim that in the ground the terrains look fantastic.

They just dont seem to be present when your airborn thus giving that carpet effect.

Next the Water. Looks almost muddy, like churned water near the shoreline just beyond the waves

Seem the new water color would be better if used as a line right next to the breaking waves. then getting progressively more blue and darker the farther out to sea you go

BTW (and slightly off topic)I miss that tropical map you did a couple versions ago.

IMO it was the most visually stunning of all the maps we've ever had.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 10:44:26 AM »
THere are no grass clumps!  I think it would be helpful if there were grass clumps to help give the terrain a slight texture!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
viva la difference
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
anyone been to the training arena since the new version?
the suns shining on some tiles :D

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
viva la difference
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »
Fester, check your PMs :)