Author Topic: Gunnery  (Read 540 times)

Offline Cyg

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:25:54 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but i'll give it a try......

I know practice makes perfect, (theoretically), and the more you fly, the better you get, but I was curious. Is there any way people practice their gunnery?

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Gunnery
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »
Go to the Training Arena and ask nicely if someone there would play the target.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline lilprop

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »
I practice mine on the drones in offline practice.  I turn on the lead computing site to help get a feel for properly leading the target.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Gunnery
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »
If you fly offline for 30 minutes using the LCGS (Lead Computed GunSight), you should do much better when you join the main arenas afterwards. I know there's one veteran pilot that does this every time to warm up.

Once you're familiar with the rear aspect shots, work on coming in at slashing angles, high or low shots, and so forth. Note where the green X is, and eventually your mind will figure things out.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Gunnery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:51:25 PM »
If I put you in a swamp with a shotgun and a whole flock of ducks fly by, what do you shoot at? The flock? Or do you pick out one duck, put bead on him, pull through and shoot?

This isn't exactly they way it works in AH but the analogy holds water.
Do you shoot at the plane? Or do you pick one point on the plane, put cross hairs on it, pull through as your firing and hit it, and knock it off?

When I have people with problems hitting I always end up in a slow plane preferably Japanese. I do slow circles as they come up behind me. I tell them pick a wingtip, now put your bullets in the red meatball on that wingtip. From ext view I can quickly see where the bullets are actually hitting, and help "guide" them into the zone.

Once you learn how to concentrate, fly small and smooth and HIT the piece your aiming at its time to go off line, and practice, practice, practice! 5-10 min every day before heading to the main will sharpen your eye. And if you challenge yourself (ie not all dead 6 shots) in time you'll turn yourself into a good if not phenomenal shot.

But, turn off tracers, lose complicated gun sights. Use either the default sight or a simple dot. The key is to watch for hit flash's, and REMEMBER how much lead you were pulling when you fired those rounds.  FYI this is the sight I use.
Its simple, it shows against virtually every background. And the dot size is pretty close to actual cone of fire at 300 yards.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Gunnery
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:12:21 PM »
Ya it's the dot of death :aok
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Cyg

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
yea, that was one thing I could not find...how do I turn on that gunsight offline?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Gunnery
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »
Never got the LCGS....I turned it on, but what does it do?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Gunnery
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »
good gunnery in aces high, rule numero uno.

"im going to make this shot, its an easy shot and theres no way im going to miss. im going to make this shot right now"

simple as that.

;)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline lilprop

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:24:51 PM »
Yeah, the LCGS is not available as a default in the offline arena.

Open the clipboard and go to:

Options>Arena Setup>Environment>Arena Settings

Select "FlightModeFlags" from the list of variables and press the "Change" button.

A box will pop up to the left of the clipboard with a number of options you can select.

Check the box next to "Lead Computed GunSight"

Make sure to save your changes if you want it available every time you fly in offline practice.

When flying, press the "tab" key on your keyboard to select or toggle between targets.  Aim at the green + to properly lead your target.

Offline Cyg

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »
Got it...thank you very much.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Gunnery
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »
I like to get so close when I fire there is no chance that I will possibly miss.

D>200
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Gunnery
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 04:26:49 AM »
Yep, two things will help your gunnery:

1 - turn off tracers, so that you won't "hosepipe" bullets on target, wasting full loads of ammo, and you'll develop the eye for the correct gunsight-target relationship in the various situations;

2 - teach yourself to open fire only when you're at close range, when hitting is easier, and set your convergence accordingly. I started with a convergence of 350 yards for all the guns, taking shots till 600/800 yards, now my convergence is set at 150 yards for MGs and 200 yards for cannons, and I rarely take shots farther than 400 yards and only at non manevuering targets

Btw, gentlemen, I made a proposal in the Wishlist forum for a tool that, IMO, would be helpful in developing a good aim. You find the link in my signature, please, give it a read and, if you find the idea worthy, post in that thread, so that it stays in the first page.
Thank you. :)
Live to fly, fly to live!