Author Topic: Why GVers are lame.........  (Read 2455 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Why GVers are lame.........
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »
Originally posted by Gloves
I find it interesting this bug is offensive to you humble, yet you talked about landing many kills yourself using the smoke bug and how it was so much fun to you.  I may be wrong, but to me, you're not being consistent.

Sorry if I have misinterpretted what you're saying.

Glove

I think the difference in the smoke "bug" if it is a bug, is I think HT meant for it to work the way it does.

I think if you couldn't see through it at short range then you would end up running into things while moving. So it gives good cover at a distance but if you are close to it, you can see through it and the enemy can also see through it at short range.

Another issue is with 3d modeling to have the smoke show the same on both sides would require twice the amount of polygons per smoke cloud. A texture will only show on one side of a polygon. (hence the reason if you get inside a building you no longer see any walls.

Now I will admit I use smoke while at TT but it's not the same as hiding behind a wall that no one can shoot you.  If you hide behind smoke you can still die and the other GV's can still see you or they can also puff their own smoke. So the only real bug I see in regards to smoke is that some guys with certain video cards don't see the smoke at all.
"strafing"

Offline Stoliman

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »
What about the bug/glitch/whatever that allows a jeep to drive into a tank and kill it with the machine gun?  That has obviously been allowed over time.
Tour 74-122:  Stoliman
Tour 123 - now:  Deke

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
They can't have GV collisions enabled due to various problems. Thus, no collisions, thus you can drive through other GVs. Not really a bug as much as it is a side effect from a compromise.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »
Originally posted by Gloves
I find it interesting this bug is offensive to you humble, yet you talked about landing many kills yourself using the smoke bug and how it was so much fun to you.  I may be wrong, but to me, you're not being consistent.

Sorry if I have misinterpretted what you're saying.

Glove

The smoke on the sherman is identical to the smoke on the PZ in its effects. I have successfully employed the same tactics with the PZ as the sherman. In some ways this goes to the heart of the post....using smoke and topography is as esential to "tanking" as the hi/low yoyo is to ACM. Properly fighting your tank isnt cheating anymore then using ACM is. This is a small part of what i'm learning & absorbing GV wise. I did in fact post a question regarding the smoke....since I was a "noob" with regard to GV's I assumed "this cant be right"....but in effect serious GVers have used smoke correctly long before the sherman came along. The fact that someone like me can gain a basic "skill level" that translates to better performance shows that tanking is in fact more "skill based" {especially with the M-4 equalizer:)} then I thought.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Anyone who does this is exploting a bug thats all.

But exploiting a bug is considered cheating in virtually all MMO's on the market.  Anytime a player uses a bug to gain an unfair advantage over another player is considered Exploiting and as I just mentioned, a violation of the Terms of Service for virtually all MMO's.

How is this act an unfair advantage for the guy hiding in the windmill?  By exploiting the bug that allows him to clip into the windmill prevent others from being able to hit him while he can fire at will with little or no threat of being hit by retun fire.

Had that screenshot been taken in the MMO game I work with and a GM was able to witness the violation, that player would have been given an automatic 3 day vacation from the game while we review his account for termination.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
you didn't read the entire thing...

"Other types of wallhack include "wallwalk", in which players become able to see through and walk through walls. Sometimes referred to as "ghostmode", this hack enables sneak attacks on anyone walking by the wall, as the player inside the wall is essentially invisible."

While the fence deal isn't exactlly this it's pretty much the same because they can't be shot unless you also use the same glitch. However the windmill bug anbd the other building bugs are this same thing.

If you don't like that then call it maphack as I also posted..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maphack  I don't care what it's called but it's still cheating in my book.

Lusche is correct, it's not a hack, it's an exploit caused by a flaw in the game code which is a bug.

A hack would be something like a speed cheat program that would allow you to move faster than what normal game mechanics would allow or a warp cheat that would teleport you from one location to another, or it could be a wire frame cheat that allows you to use wire frames instead of 3d models.  Those are hacks because they change the game client, exploits do not.

The term "hack" has been hijacked as reference to almost all forms of cheating.

ack-ack

Offline CarlsBee

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »
Quote:
The pic above is from a guy in the Rook TT spawn windmill. In this case it happens to be a rook defending...when I was on a little while ago Carlsbee was back in there. So he's almost right on the rook spawn. Exactly how do you suggest the rooks avoid him....

Well put, this is the point.  If it is on my side - defending from cheaters, if it is on their side - pure cheating.
Please notice that the poor guy defending from cheaters even leaves his fat arse out, just to make sure its a fair fight.
:D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
you didn't read the entire thing...

"Other types of wallhack include "wallwalk", in which players become able to see through and walk through walls. Sometimes referred to as "ghostmode", this hack enables sneak attacks on anyone walking by the wall, as the player inside the wall is essentially invisible."

While the fence deal isn't exactlly this it's pretty much the same because they can't be shot unless you also use the same glitch. However the windmill bug anbd the other building bugs are this same thing.

If you don't like that then call it maphack as I also posted..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maphack  I don't care what it's called but it's still cheating in my book.

I did read the entire thing. Actually I read every word.
So call the windmill thing exploit, call it cheap, call it lame... but dont call it hack because no one changes code or anything. "Hack" is a term for doing right that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »
Looks like I need some Don Quixote nose art for my D-40, gonna start a windmill bombing campaign in TT.

They may be giants after all.  :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:31:33 PM by Flatbar »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »
Originally posted by CarlsBee
Quote:
The pic above is from a guy in the Rook TT spawn windmill. In this case it happens to be a rook defending...when I was on a little while ago Carlsbee was back in there. So he's almost right on the rook spawn. Exactly how do you suggest the rooks avoid him....

Well put, this is the point.  If it is on my side - defending from cheaters, if it is on their side - pure cheating.
Please notice that the poor guy defending from cheaters even leaves his fat arse out, just to make sure its a fair fight.
:D

I have a picture of your "fat arse" hanging out of the same windmill...and its cheating either way IMO...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »
i have just about given up on tt for now, havent been in there in a week.  Its a shame the windmill bugs are being used so much.  I have never used them nor did I know they existed until I read this post.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »
Originally posted by Rondar
Its a shame the windmill bugs are being used so much.

Because it is all they have Rondar.   They NEED bugs to land spawncamp kills and "get their name in lights".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
I BROUGHT JB SOME SUPPLIES LAST NIGHT AND HE WASNT IN ANY WINDMILL,PLUS I BACKED UP TO THE ONE BEHIND THE BISH SPAWN AND WAS KILLED AFTER 17 KILLS SO HMM

also the thing with the fence is a good glitch until someone finds the way to kill them,and there is just ask snoopy1 easy kill if done right,tt has been great as of late!!1
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline redneb

• Zinc Member
Windmill bug
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2007, 06:52:26 PM »
I'm not going anywhere near a windmill.  It would be just my luck this tour to be sitting in one, HTC would fix the bug, and I'd be stuck in there forever:lol

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
Smart move since I'm sure now that the windmills around TT will be bombed regularly.

ack-ack