Author Topic: Don't take life for granted!  (Read 586 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Don't take life for granted!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 08:31:42 PM »
I'm in

Got a package going out to my brother in law on Monday.  I'm trying to convince him that we have decent GV's in this game.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 11:43:20 PM »
A few months ago the GF and I sent a buttload of stuff over. I'd be more than willing to chip in what I can.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
Please note; some of the FOB's have come a long way since the first rotation.  The larger ones have decent PX's, pizza shops, coffee shops, subway shops,... the more primitive ones don't, but the larger built up areas do.
Near the end of OIF2, you could pick up (expensive) steaks at the PX at Victory (Liverty) off BIAP and BBQ a little near your hootch.  Pirated DVD's of new movie releases were available for $5 U.S., sometimes days before their Western release dates.

It's better now to ask what they want/need rather than just ship a lot of what people were sending 3 years ago.  Sometimes you can think of something unique that can be entertaining, but just stuffing a box with jerky and wet wipes may not be the best to send over these days.

Additionally, my experiences come from BIAP, Baghdad, Taji mostly and a little from Kuwuit and Qatar.  I've no idea how Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, the Horn of Africa, and other duty locations are these days as far as creature comforts.

And there's enough trouble with alcohol that can be accessed while in-country now (mostly from Russia and Lebanon).  They really don't need it sent to them from states.

VWE

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 12:15:55 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to not being awaken by explosions...

New address for me:

SPC Skierski

Task Force Hurricane unit 42165

APO AE 09342

For those that don't know I'm Army, attached to the Navy and the web site for this group is http://c-ram.org

P.S. if send something, please no alcohol. I don't smoke or drink...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:18:05 AM by VWE »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:36 AM »
Hey Spc,

You ought to tell the folks posting about the care packages what you guys would LIKE to see in them.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »
Originally posted by VWE

Ehhh?

Understand that you don't smoke or drink but surely such products are awesome trade goods?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 07:15:39 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to not being awaken by explosions...

New address for me:

SPC Skierski

Task Force Hurricane unit 42165

APO AE 09342

For those that don't know I'm Army, attached to the Navy and the web site for this group is http://c-ram.org

anything in particular that you'd like?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Squibb

• Zinc Member
Re: Don't take life for granted!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
These are some things I took for granted prior to leaving the states:

Sex with my girlfriend, "hey babe, let me just finish flying this one sorty first then I'll be right up"... stupid, stupid, stupid.

Getting into the car and listening to the radio, unless you actually enjoy listening to music that sounds like someone threw a retard down a flight of stairs...

Weekends... weekends are made for getting out of the house and doing something, every day is Monday here.

Its the little things in life you don't really think about that makes life worth living, when those little things go away over night you too may find yourself reflecting...

feel you there bud...  had a couple friends KIA in 05, and several more WIA and doing tours over there right now... had a couple marine boot lts and an army 2lt head over the past week/month

stay safe, kick bellybutton and come home

VWE

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 10:41:55 PM »
I'm kind of a simple person myself when it comes to a care package. I like instant oatmeal or cream of wheat packages. Some single laundry detergent packages, easy to put in my ruk and a must have for doing your own wash when away from the FOB(forward operating base). Some real bubble gum, you can find Wrigleys over here but that aint bubble gum. Any old aviation magazines, any boat guys out there? I miss my Soundings... if any of you know what those are and would be willing to send me an old copy I'd love one of those too. Just keep it simple guys, I'd appriciate it...