Author Topic: bmp Map artist  (Read 821 times)

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
bmp Map artist
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
Greetings,

I am doing my best at modifying the generated .bmp map.  However, it  looks like....uh well, . . . not good.  I am currently using Gimp 2.0 to try and refine it.  What programs to y'all use?

Regards,

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
bmp Map artist
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:37:57 AM »
The 3D relief CB maps such as the one in Compello are done with Photoshop. It's a somewhat involved process using the elevation BMP that becomes easy once you've done it a couple of times.

The color CB maps such as the one in Montis are done with a program which I do not have permission to distribute.

If you're ready to submit your terrain, I'd send it and let Skuzzy fix the CB map.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:43:52 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
bmp Map artist
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:58 AM »
I didn't modify the map generated by the TE at all.

I used Gimp, coupled with a program I wrote that will let me convert a greyscale bitmap to a indexed color bmp using the color palette of my choice, which I ran against *(an appropriately sized version of) the heightmap for my terrain to make a color terrain map to use as the graphic for my in-game map.

Then, in Gimp, I layered on markers for fields, bridges, and rivers, as well as the grid and the grid cell numbers, and saved the composite to a indexed bitmap.

I'm not quite sold on my current color scheme for the terrain map, and had intended to refine the color choices before submission so they don't look quite so "harsh", but generally am sastisfied with the process if not yet the results.  

Guy

*(If you are making a 256 mile map, you have to cut out the center of the heightmap, scale it by 2, and use that, since the ingame map is a 1024x1024 indexed bmp).
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
bmp Map artist
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:11 AM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
Then, in Gimp, I layered on markers for fields, bridges, and rivers, as well as the grid and the grid cell numbers, and saved the composite to a indexed bitmap.
A small word of caution might be in order. Watch that your sector grid lines align with the bar dar sectors.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
bmp Map artist
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
Ok, I will.  

Funny you mention that, because I had trouble with alignment when I created a grid myself in Gimp (and I wasn't sure why), so instead I stole them off of an "empty" 256 mile water-only terrain that I created just for the purpose.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
bmp Map artist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
Ok, I will.  

Funny you mention that, because I had trouble with alignment when I created a grid myself in Gimp (and I wasn't sure why), so instead I stole them off of an "empty" 256 mile water-only terrain that I created just for the purpose.

I did just that with my Malta terrain (Made for H2H). Had no issues with the grid and the Dar Bars were showing in the correct places.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.