Author Topic: Whats the best hotas stick?  (Read 270 times)

Offline INSANO2

• Zinc Member
Whats the best hotas stick?
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
I have been using a Saitak x-45 for awhile now and want to know what is the best setup and $ is not a concern. Is the Cougar by Thrustmaster or the CH Fightersticks better. Is there something better than those. I like gadgets and button. I got a couple of sim magazines and none advertise anything for AHII, Just IL-2 and Flightsim. Thanks  Capt. Insano:confused:

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
At the top end of the market there are the options you pointed out CH and Thrustmaster. People who have one will swear that theirs is better than the others. Most havent tried the other, so true comparisons are harder to come by.

I have a full CH setup and love it. Nothing has ever gone wrong with them, except i replaced the pots in my pedals about 4 years ago after having them 2 1/2 years or so. CH gear is tough plastic in construction and built very well, and ive never heard of anyone ever breaking them. Some people say the CH stick is too tall to reach the hat switch - guess it depends on your hand size etc. I have no probs and i think my hands are pretty average in size. Between the stick and throttle i have over 32 buttons at my disposal. CH has reasonably good customer service and theres a good number of replacement parts should you need em off their website.

Thrustmaster is all metal construction, but the chief complaint is that the spring tension is too high and the mid-zone 'clunks' through when transiting the JS forward-back/left-right etc. Apart from that i dont know much about the Thrustmaster sticks, but im sure someone else will chip in.

As for the software which comes with them, i cant comment as i dont use em. I just use the AH joystick mapping software - its plenty good enough.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I've been running Thrustmaster joystick/throttles, with CH Pro Rudders since day one, and I love them. Never did like the Thrustmaster rudders though, but the joystick/Throttle combo's have been fantastic for me.

When I re-signed up for Aces High this year, I picked up a cougar. After flying with it for 3-4 months, I still love it. You get used to the heavy pull after a bit. I've never noticed the chunkyness on mine at all.

There are a number of after-market upgrades, some of which, are very expensive. I've heard good things about them, but I'm too cheap/poor to invest in one at this time.

So far I'm completely happy with my Cougar. If you have the money, I'd reccommend the cougar any day.  Use it with the CH Pro Rudders and you can't go wrong. If you want to cut costs, then the CH products would be my next choice.

wabbit
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
If you want to work on your joystick , get Thrustmaster . If you don't , get CH .

I have had both plus many many others , I use CH products .
My current Ace's High handle is spro