Author Topic: Need help getting AH2 to run on my computer  (Read 932 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Need help getting AH2 to run on my computer
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 01:27:10 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I believe it reads the actual frequency, from memory it listed my DDR400 as "200".

Well if thats the case, we know the CPU frequency is correct also.

So it could be -
a) Multiplier
b) Needs an updated BIOS to correctly configure/recognize the CPU.

Have a better idea when he posts screenies (including the mainboard screen)
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline coinbird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »
AMD by default has a lower clockspeed then intel simply in the way its designed, but if what he states is acurrate it is much too low.

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »
We hope so. We need to wait and see.

You may use the equivelant of 1GHz for AH, but how do you know? How much other GHz are being used to run windows in the background?

I know for a fact that AH has a lower limit. I was below it for a while. Used to be I could just barely run AH1 on a PIII 650MHz, then AH2 came out and it just wasn't even remotely possible. I'm guessing 1.5-2.0 is the reasonable "above 15fps" point for the lower limit, now.

There is no way you can compare CPU cycles on a PIII (ancient) with a Athlon X2! Not only are today's processors clocked much higher, they also do a lot more useful work for each cycle. In addition a 1GHz X2 does 2 G cycles in a second (two cores).

I know the Windows (and all crap running on it) draws less than 1%, since that is what the process manager reports.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 12:38:13 AM »
OMG don't listen to any of these guys they don't know anything about AMD cpu's it seems.

Folks, most laptops have AMD Cool&Quiet enabled which will throttle the CPU speed down to a minimum when power is not needed for applications. This makes my 3000+ (2Ghz at full load) show 750Mhz in the panel. Immediately when a game etc. is launched the speed pops to maximum.

This is perfectly normal and as it _should_ be because it reduces heat.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 03:16:37 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
OMG don't listen to any of these guys they don't know anything about AMD cpu's it seems.

Folks, most laptops have AMD Cool&Quiet enabled which will throttle the CPU speed down to a minimum when power is not needed for applications. This makes my 3000+ (2Ghz at full load) show 750Mhz in the panel. Immediately when a game etc. is launched the speed pops to maximum.

Just for your information: I have already mentioned this.
Now, Cool&Quiet can have bad effects on AH, so may need to be disabled.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 06:00:39 AM »
Originally posted by airhog99
Just for your information: I have already mentioned this.
Now, Cool&Quiet can have bad effects on AH, so may need to be disabled.

Looks like that, I was basing on the last replies which completely ignored that. I personally haven't had problems with C&Q and AH2. It's generally a bad idea to turn it off on a laptop.

Result is increased power usage/lower battery life and increased heat / increased noise from cooling fans. Not something you want in a lappy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:02:50 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 06:50:48 AM »
Looks like that, I was basing on the last replies which completely ignored that. I personally haven't had problems with C&Q and AH2. It's generally a bad idea to turn it off on a laptop.

Result is increased power usage/lower battery life and increased heat / increased noise from cooling fans. Not something you want in a lappy.

It is possible that C&Q has been blamed for problems due to other issues, which have now been corrected with AMD's patches.

For some reason I can't enable C&Q in XP Pro SP2 on my desktop PC. Any ideas? (It worked before under Windows 2000. Processor is Athlon X2, 65W version)

Regards

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 07:40:32 AM »
It's supposed to work built in the new Athlon driver so it doesn't need the separate application like w98/w2k did.

So in order for it to work you should download the latest processor driver from AMD website and set powersaving options to 'minimal power management'.

Then you can monitor CPU clock speed, if the driver works like supposed, you should see 3/4 reduction on CPU speed when machine is at idle state.

Offline ScorpCH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »
im still not sure how to get the screen shot to post, not sure what 'paint prog'....

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »

Are you sure about that? That doesn't seem right. I've known quite a few folks that had/have AMD chips now, and have never heard this.

That much on-the-fly underclocking can't be good for the chip. Not to mention the reason we have variable speed fans is so you don't need to underclock the chip...

Is this only for laptop chips, or something?? :huh

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »
Are you sure about that? That doesn't seem right. I've known quite a few folks that had/have AMD chips now, and have never heard this.

That much on-the-fly underclocking can't be good for the chip. Not to mention the reason we have variable speed fans is so you don't need to underclock the chip...

It's standard on all newer AMD Athlons.
Of course "underclocking" will greatly reduce heat dissipation from the chip, which in turn allows reducing fan speed.  Since the chip is designed to do this it will work perfectly (less likely to go wrong than if running at max speed all the time).

BTW, it is not a good idea to run a CPU at max clock frequency all the time given how much energy will go to waste.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2007, 04:31:17 AM »

This is for everyone who has installed the XP driver from AMD website. The technology is designed to keep power usage to a minimum. In practise that means a cooler and more silent PC. It's a huge benefit when the CPU doesn't put out full heat all the time - the cooling fan literally stops completely as the fins are enough to disspate the heat.

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 05:20:26 AM »
It's supposed to work built in the new Athlon driver so it doesn't need the separate application like w98/w2k did.

So in order for it to work you should download the latest processor driver from AMD website and set powersaving options to 'minimal power management'.

Then you can monitor CPU clock speed, if the driver works like supposed, you should see 3/4 reduction on CPU speed when machine is at idle state.

Ahh.. so that was it! It's on "minimal power management" now, and C&Q is now active again. According to AMD Dashboard my 4200+ throttles back to 1GHz, and lowers the voltage from 1.2 to 1.1 volts.

I had this notion that a separate AMD specific power scheme had to show up in the list when this was working (perhaps i got the idea from Win2k).

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
Just enabled the minimal power management on my box.

As soon as I did this & started C&Q proggie, my FX-60 throttled back to 1200MHz & 1.104 volts.

But as soon as I start anything CPU intensive she throttles up to full speed-2600MHz & 1.36 volts.

Thanks, I never knew that!

:D
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »
Gets better with 'Barcelona'. (K-10)

Each individual core can throttle back independently.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory