Author Topic: Long Range Tank Gunnery  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Re: Long Range Tank Gunnery
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
Kilz,

Thanks for the offer.  I will look you up in the MA.  Thanks to the rest of you for your comments and help. :salute Now if you can just tell me how to know exactly where that tiger is in the hedgerows.......
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »
Now if you can just tell me how to know exactly where that tiger is in the hedgerows.......

As soon as you drive by him you'll know.    :t
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »
Kilz,

Thanks for the offer.  I will look you up in the MA.  Thanks to the rest of you for your comments and help. :salute Now if you can just tell me how to know exactly where that tiger is in the hedgerows.......

Disable the skins and he'll be that bright orange one
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Thanks BaldEagl, but I've already learned that method.  It works well in the trees to.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
Now if you can just tell me how to know exactly where that tiger is in the hedgerows.......

One of the best things you can do to help you GV is get the Ranger sound pack.  I think it's under downloads or there is a link in the forums somewhere but it is Essential to GVers.  Vehicles have much more distinct sounds and you can often tell whats coming just by the sound.

That's also how I find a vehicle I can't see, by his sound.  In the top machine gun position (3) just pan around and listen.  I highly recommend headphones for this even some cheap walkman headphones.  You'll be able to narrow down his direction and even sometimes exactly where he is with practice.  Then go get him.

As far as some of the tricks like disabling other player's skins, I always felt that was a little like cheating, so I never do it and it only works against German vehicles anyway.  For some reason all the German vehicles have desert camo when there are no desert areas in the game.  M4s and T34s are a nice woodland green by default.

Practice a lot on ranging and have fun with the rest of us mud fighters.   :salute
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline vizwhiz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that the gunsight in my panzer will often come back and land juuuuust about the right distance to the target unless I was shooting really long rang, like off the sight.  If I'm shooting 18-20 out, and he's actually around 22, the sight will often come back and settle just around 22...I know this sounds like hokey, but watch it and see if you find it like I did.  It is almost as if there is a little "help" code in there to help you get the gun to the right range.  Reference the sight to something that isn't moving before you take the first shot, and then watch where the gun returns relative to where your shot landed, short or long...(let go of the stick if you have to).  If you were short, it will usually come back to slightly higher than your first shot, and if you shot long, it will usually come back shorter than your first shot.  It isn't perfect, but I'm a pretty good gv'er and this was kinda surprising to notice.  And no, I'm not superstitious.

I appreciate the help you guys have posted also...love a good tank battle! :salute
If I'm a "zinc" member, then I should be called "The GALVANIZER"!