Author Topic: Some Fun Fights  (Read 511 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Some Fun Fights
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »
Once in a while, one the better MA regulars will stop by the Training Arena and offer an opportunity to duel. I generally jump at the offer as it helps me keep my edge.

Over the past week, Platano and Sonic22 dropped in and we had quite a bit of fun. Below are links to films of the fights. Glean what you can from the films. There are very few mistakes made, and the better airplane usually prevails. You will see virtually every textbook maneuver and a few not in the book. Both Platano and Sonic22 are among the better Aces High pilots. Both are very tough fights and if you make a mistake or misjudgement, both will make you pay. to both for taking the time to come to the TA.

This first film is of a match-up between the F4U-1A and the Bf 109F-4. The film opens with the initial merge. Platano carries more speed into the merge and performs a double immelmann, which I cannot follow with the heavy Corsair. I manage to evade his attack and work at equalizing E states. Once that happens, the 109F-4 is at the mercy of the Hog.

109F-4 vs F4U-1A

This next fight is interesting in that you will see how capable the F4Us (in this case, the F4U-4) are in a slow turning fight with the FM-2. In a straight-up turning contest, the FM-2 can turn slightly smaller circles, but the Corsair has a much faster turn rate. Thus, it can gain angles and get shots that most pilots will not believe are possible. Eventually, I push too hard and contact the ground, but not before Platano becomes a believer.

FM-2 vs F4U-4

This next film shows a duel between a pair of F4U-4s. Platano does an excellent job right until the end, where we were both laughing hysterically at a noob who was broadcasting over vox. I edited out the noob as he was rather annoying prior to that point.

F4u-4 vs F4U-4

Next up is a duel between my F4U-4 and Platano's Ki-84. We start with Platano carrying much greater E into the merge. Once again he does a double immelmann. But, this time I don't do as of a good job in evading and collect some hits. As with the 109F, once I get the E states equalized, the Ki-84 is toast, being unable to match the performance of the SuperHog.

Ki-84 vs F4U-4

The next film switches to Sonic22. Sonic likes to duel in his favorite ride; the Spitfire Mk.XVI. I rarely fly the Spit16, but accept that disadvantage as it's a challange worth the trouble. From the merge, the fight is dead even, with neither pilot able to get a guns solution. In the end, my lack of experience in the Spit16 bites me and I manage to get into a flat spin and run out of altitude before I can fully recover.

Spit16 vs Spit16

The final film resumes my duels with Sonic22. This time, after augering the Spit16 twice, I try a Spit8. I fly the Spit8 often enough to know its habits. In this fight, the Spit8 gradually gains the advantage until it is in control of the fight. Sonic runs out of fuel at a critical point and augers. In my opinion, the Spit8 is the better dogfighter. Why? Because, it is more stable at the limit and turns a bit better than the Spit16 when pushed to the edge.

Spit16 vs Spit8

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:31:01 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Some Fun Fights
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »
Nice vids WW! Yeah I know the response is like half a year late but....

Any Spitfire XVI's vs F4U-1A's or

Ki-84 vs. F4U-1A? I'm stuck attempting those climbing turns that seems to work for the top Hog pilots... so i always end up having the fight drag on for longer than necessary and end up short on fuel when it's over.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Some Fun Fights
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
Hey WW, i can DL the first and last AHFs but the rest are broken links for me.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Some Fun Fights
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »
Originally posted by Spatula
Hey WW, i can DL the first and last AHFs but the rest are broken links for me.

Fixed... All should be available now.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.