Author Topic: 80 days after the attack.  (Read 1560 times)

Offline 68Boomer

• Zinc Member
80 days after the attack.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 11:31:41 AM »
Obvious testiment to the "Never say Die" spirit of the American Fighting Man/Woman.

Offline Ongurth

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.christiancs.com
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
very impressive.

please tell him thank you for his service to this great nation!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Don't know if you already covered this in the other thread, but will they be giving him prosthetics, or will he be using a chair? Just curious.

Glad to see he's already in PT!

Krusty,

Yes they will be giving him prosthetics. It's a long process for guys who have lost both legs above the knee as is the case with Thomas. Even having one knee is a huge advantage I'm told. However Thomas doesn't have that option.

They have already started working the right side for a prosthetic. It was actually the side with the most damage, the left side still needs to heal a bit more before working it.  Also I'm pretty sure even with todays advances he will still spend a lot of time in a chair. I think bilatteral above the knee injuries like his cannot spend as much time on their prosthetics, as the guys that still have knees. I could be wrong though, I'm heading back down to San Antonio this weekend. I'll PM you when I have a firm answer.

There's still a lot of work ahead for him before he walks again. I have every confidence he'll make it though.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »
Heckuva kid you have their Shifty :)  

Thanks for the update
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
Great job he's doing there. Stud indeed. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »
Again I can not say it enough...... Thank Your Son for his service to our Country, also my Family Thanks you and the rest of your Family.

God Bless Them
<>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
to your Son, Shifty.

With that kind of determination in so short a time, I think he will continue to overcome and excel.  I'm also thankful that he has apparently not run into some of the admin problems some soldiers are facing, and getting the first rate care that the medical personnel are well known for.  

- from a SSG and former 1st Cav Trooper

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
to your Son, Shifty.

With that kind of determination in so short a time, I think he will continue to overcome and excel.  I'm also thankful that he has apparently not run into some of the admin problems some soldiers are facing, and getting the first rate care that the medical personnel are well known for.  

- from a SSG and former 1st Cav Trooper

Tedrbr,

I've not wittnessed any big problems for anyone at BAMC. Now I have seen a couple of folks try and make big problems out of small problems. Of course a lot of this was due to stress and missunderstanding. I was down at BAMC with Thomas when the Walter Reed thing broke. If anything I saw the staff, civilians and military alike re-double their efforts to care for the wounded Soldiers, and Marines there.

Thomas was fortunate that being a 1st Cav Trooper Ft Hood is just a couple of hours down the road. Weekly 1st Cav Officers were there checking on the welfare of the CAV guys. I think both he our family is very fortunate he was shipped to BAMC. I don't think there could be a better facility for injuries like his.

Thank all of you for your well wishes.
To Tebrbr, and you other vets. and Thank You.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline allmetal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
when he is able to walk with the prosthetics will he be able to return to the army in any kind of limited duty?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
Originally posted by allmetal
when he is able to walk with the prosthetics will he be able to return to the army in any kind of limited duty?

Actually yes, they are trying to retain him and the other soldiers missing limbs. He hasn't made his mind up just yet.

Offline Boozebag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
Tuff kid. He has the gratitude and admiration of this former jarhead. We must support our troops. Freedom is by no means Free.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 03:23:00 PM by Boozebag »
Boozebag, NDM Parachute Instructor  OS:W 7
MB:EVGA 780i SLI FTW~CPU:Q9550@3.4~Cooler
Zealman 9700~Mem:Crucial Ballistix 800 4 2GX1~
GPU:EVGA GTX285 FTW~HD Main:2 150G VelociRaptor RAID 0~PSU:Corsair CMPSU-HX1000

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
You have an amazing son there shifty. Truely inspiring.
What great spirit and determination he has.

All my best bud.
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
It is not in the realm of my vocabulary to properly express the gratitude and admiration i feel in my heart for your brave son and all his fellow soldiers.

So let me just say, the photos you have so graciously shared with us and all the updates you have given us, stand witness to your sons sence of duty, patriotism and heroism.

He is a credit to you, your family, his unit, the united States Army and our great nation as a whole.  His determination to overcome and adapt in the face of such personal pain and loss is a shineing example of everything an American soldier should be.

Please give him my personal thanks.
From my family to yours, God bless you all.

Yanksfan       {Don}
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline EsX_Raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »
to him from all the way down here in Venezuela.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 08:37:17 PM »
This civilian very humbly salutes Thomas.