Author Topic: Why I'll never own a Pit Bull  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Why I'll never own a Pit Bull
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
and these two dogs are pit bulls because the owners have papers from the adba and they can trace the dog's lineage back to how many matches the parents won?

there are no more purebred pit bulls left to be had.

like always, these dogs are just scatter bred american stafforshire terriers.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »
Vudak, a dog like a pitbull will not give you time to swing more than a few times.. first hand experience. :)
You may hurt it, but most of the time you don't deminish its determination or physical ability enough to make a difference before something like a bat stops being useful.  The safest bet is something that either hurts enough to discourage it, or guarantees critical damage, e.g. articulations or eyes put out of service, etc.
A regular bat is too soft for that.

Personaly, I think I'd go with the most powerful tazer I could find.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Vudak, a dog like a pitbull will not give you time to swing more than a few times.. first hand experience. :)
You may hurt it, but most of the time you don't deminish its determination or physical ability enough to make a difference before something like a bat stops being useful.  The safest bet is something that either hurts enough to discourage it, or guarantees critical damage, e.g. articulations or eyes put out of service, etc.
A regular bat is too soft for that.

Personaly, I think I'd go with the most powerful tazer I could find.

I dunno.  Americans with baseball bats are like the old Huns with horses :D  Taught from a very young age how to swing that thing around - we'll get 'em :)

(This is not a serious argument haha)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »
I am not at all suprised about George's response when the kids were in danger.  Growing up, I had a Jack Russell Terrior.  (my mom still does, 15 years old and still crazy as can be).  He may only be a dog that stands 8 inches high, by a foot and a half long, but in his mind, he is a german shepherd and will do anything to protect his pack.  I remember as a kid I was playing outside with my dad and Pete (the dog), and a coyote comes walking through my backyard.  As soon as Pete saw the thing he darted at it, barking his brains out.  The coyote took off in a hurry to say the least.  Regardless of size, a little white missile running directly at you will get your heart pumping! lol.....

Way to go Jack russels!  Awesome dogs!  They may be annoying as hell the first five years (YAP YAP YAP, JUMP, YAP, JUMP HIGHER, YAP), they are the best!

And Seagoon-  You said it brotha.  I know so many people who have bought pit bulls because it's cool, and just totally neglect to take care of them.

I recently bought an Eastern Blood Line GSD.  I understand the responsibility of owning a large aggressive dog, and I make sure that as a puppy, he is around as many people and dogs as possible, so he isn't aggressive (when he shouldn't be) when he is fully grown.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
A friend of mine had to shoot a pit a few years ago. The neighbors two houses down had two, they liked to jump the fences alot. They got into my friends back yard and Mauled their Rottwieler and one of their two labs.

The Rotty who was a sweet dog had to be put down. The lab still has scars on its face.

The owner nor animal control bothered to do anything. My friend has 3 year old daughter.

The next time it happend they shot  both pits in his backyard, and the cops wanted to arrest him.

Nor did they want to give the gun back.

Californa law states you can shoot a dangerous animal that is a threat, so in the end he got his firearms back and no charges where filed.

One pit lived.  The owner keeps it chained now. Personaly I would have fed it poison by now.  By my friend and her hubby are nicer then I am.

I don't have a problem with the Dogs per say, but most pit owners are *******s.  Most should be put down with their worthless dogs.

There was a pit wondering around my complex one morning acting aggressive and chassed my dog and I too the door.

By the time I got my Sig and got back outside it was gone. In this case the owner was a hot chick, but thats no exscuse for letting a aggressive dog loose.

Trying to fight a pit with a baseball bat is a mistake, if you have never played with a friendly one and seen how strong they are, you may think thats a good idea, but I wouldnt want to have to deal with one without at least a .45 or .357 pistol.  A shotgun would be better.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »
A knife works well if your willing to let the dog snatch your arm so you can stick it in his neck.  A good friend of mine ended up having to do that when his car broke down and he had to walk to the gas station on a country road.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »
Dogs like people come in a lot of varieties and much of their behavior depends how they were raised.  I had a terrific Parsons Jack Russell terrier for 15 years but fortunately never had him in any kind of fight, although there was never any doubt he would give his all for his family.

Our neighbor has a female pit bull which she has raised and trained very carefully to be friendly.  Have never had a problem with the pit bull (she's about seven years old now).  But ... you never want to get any formidable dog excited, particularly if it's with another dog (she has a german shepherd playmate), or worst of all, with several other dogs (the proverbial pack mentality).

It's always a challenge to be sufficiently prepared for a dog attack anywhere.  If the dog is large enough or determined enough, and particularly if there is more than one, any target would be fortunate to escape unscathed.  

In theory (never had to use it), I've found the most politically acceptable and most unobtrusive defense while taking a walk or hiking is a 4-inch folding knife (Gerber E-Z Out Serrated) with serrated edge (boxcutter).  As others have mentioned, with such a short blade I probably would sustain injuries, but if I could get that blade near eyes or throat, the dog would lose.  

In more remote terrain, my Marine K-Bar fighting knife with 7-inch blade, partially serrated, is a welcome companion.  

If I had to respond from my house to a dog attack on someone else, I'd grab my Springfield XD .45 ACP with 10 rounds and deal with the immediate problem before worrying about any second guessing.  

I also have a double-barrel coach shotgun, but I feel safest with the firepower and versatility of that XD .45, particularly in less than optimum light (it has a Glock laser/light mounted).
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
It is beyond my comprehension why people just have to have a pitbull. I guess it's a ghetto status symbol. I can honestly say every pitbull owner I have met was pure white trash. You know, the type that would be sporting a rebel flag t-shirt with the sleeves cut off and a mullet to match. It makes them feel like a man or think they have a larger Johnson than they do.

I also shoot any stray I find on my property regardless of the breed.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »
NZ allows you to kill the animal while it is on your property without hassle. We had a case a few years back just around the corner from us where pitbull bit a little girl. Luckily the father was nearby, he overpowered the animal (think big islander guy) and  was smart enough to know his rights, he slit its throat on the spot.

I believe this dog had been a problem before, so maybe he'd done some research into his rights earlier :)

Anyway, we seem to have a problem at the moment here with these types of dogs:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4044544a6660.html

The death of a Murupara woman following an attack by dogs has invoked horrors of previous menacings and how dangerous breeds can fit into society, writes Review Editor Phil Campbell.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4041837a6442.html

Five people, including two children and an elderly woman, were attacked by dogs in separate incidents in the North Island yesterday.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
snip
I also shoot any stray I find on my property regardless of the breed.

Me, too. I'm a dog lover, but rabies is a legitimate problem where I live.

Based on my experience, I have to say the most reliable weapon in terms of "one shot one kill" in close range situations is the 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot. Among the dozens of dogs I've shot over the years (including 4 pit bulls) that weapon has been the most consistent in "they dropped without a twitch" results.
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
that's my big reason for not owning a Pit Bull too: Too many sensless attacks on them by Jack Russels. When will people learn that just because a dog looks cute on a sitcom, that doesn't make it an ideal pet.

-Sik

Typical response from you.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Me, too. I'm a dog lover, but rabies is a legitimate problem where I live.

Based on my experience, I have to say the most reliable weapon in terms of "one shot one kill" in close range situations is the 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot. Among the dozens of dogs I've shot over the years (including 4 pit bulls) that weapon has been the most consistent in "they dropped without a twitch" results.

Do you guys make sure they don't at least have a collar?  Doesn't seem very neighborly :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 07:44:59 PM »
to the yippy dog!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 07:45:03 PM »
Petey was a pit bull...

Stymie, Buckwheat and Alfalfa never had any problems with Petey...

There are no bad dogs... only bad dog owners.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
Its not the breed, its the owner.

I have owned APBT exclusively my whole life. My dogs have never attacked anyone. My female is an excellent judge of character, and if she doesnt like you for ANY reason, neither do I.

My Male is a great family dog, but I will admit he is a bit overprotective when we have male visitors he doesn't know, especially if they are tall or he cant see there eyes(sunglasses, hooded sweatshirts, motorcycle helmets etc.).  I simply put him in our room and the problem is solved.

These dogs do excellent when raised as a part of the family, but they do very poorly when neglected or abused. Unfortunately, a loving APBT doesnt sell many papers or get people to tune in for the film at 11.

Generalizations are bad-
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*