Author Topic: Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off  (Read 2230 times)

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 07:24:35 AM »
In situations like this, i have to ask myself, "whats the worst thing that could happen"  He has to spend 1 min to restart AH?  I can't imagine someone quitting because a player told them to hit alt-f4 and they did it.  Maybe they learn what alt-f4 does now.  

Though i don't really find the joke that funny, guess heard it too many times, I don't really see what the fuss is about.  It's not like we are going to their house and placing Saran wrap over the toilet and greasing up the ear piece of their telephone....:noid
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 07:48:22 AM »
I am with AKAK on this. I view the Alt+F4 thing like hazing. This place is like a big family. I can think of tons of stuff that I did to my brother that was cruel when we were growing up. I can think of a lot of stuff I have done to fellow military members that was sort of mean but funny as hell. No harm, no foul. Threads like this do nothing but stir the pot.

-Sp0t

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The possibly funny thing about that is someone who reads this thread is going to wonder what that does.  Of course, being like the majority, the guy will not read the manual nor look at the keymapping but instead will actually press Enter 3 times when he's in game.  

[rant]The moral of this story and this whole thread is, READ THE MANUAL PEOPLE!

I understand that there are some questions a player has that just aren't answered by the manual but general game play questions such as "how do I drive this GV" or "How do I raise flaps" are answered in the manual and those questions make up 99.99% of the questions asked.

If the player can't take the time to read the manual on how to play this game, why should you expect someone who is playing to take their valuable time away from their enjoyment to answer questions that the new player can readily found in the manual?[/rant]

ack-ack

I am with Ack Ack and Murdr on this...

Before I even started my 2 weeks, I spent over a week reading the online documentation and practicing offline, and I still read about an hour a week on ACM.   Sure, I couldn't remember everything, but at least I knew how to out up my gear...

Maybe that's the difference between an adult and a teenager, but of course this is a generalization.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 08:06:43 AM »
I think if you have nothing helpful or constructive to offer when a person ask for help  or ask a question, then why even bother with giving someone FALSE information..........you wasted both your time and their time.........

and I would bet money if I had some, that everyone in the game does not know it all, and that if everyone was to READ THE F**K**G Manual, that everyone would learn at least 1 thing they did not know...............

so here, have a nice cup of STFU, if yyou have nothing of value to offer, and spend your time playing your game, instead of wasting your time giving false or unnecessary distracted answers when a person asks a question........which will be a waste of their time as well if they follow thru with the false answer you gave them........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
I have given the ole 'ALT-F4' to somebody before.  It's my opinion he deserved it though.  He kept begging for the AH Cheat codes.  After his 10th request, I told him to try 'ALT-F4'.  Apparently he did as his name disappeared from the roster.   Sometimes, it's just plain justifiable.  :D

Glove

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »
Originally posted by Gloves
I have given the ole 'ALT-F4' to somebody before.  It's my opinion he deserved it though.  He kept begging for the AH Cheat codes.  After his 10th request, I told him to try 'ALT-F4'.  Apparently he did as his name disappeared from the roster.   Sometimes, it's just plain justifiable.  :D

Glove

I find that you did help him, that was a validated correct answer regarding cheat codes, even better if he was on the opposing team, close to you and you got a proxie kill on him :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
Hehe, TC....you just inspired me to dream up a new "Wish List" item....

Remember the old *iwanttodie command? I think each player should get a one-time-per-campaign ability to type .iwanttodie and have it take effect.

Fog-O-War and all that, toodle pip :D
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
ok not ripping but um after 10 years who are you never have seen you in 6 :huh
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
so here, have a nice cup of STFU

Wow, your smoothness and tact is awe inspiring. I can see why you are in the AH TC. You represent the corps so well. :aok

-Sp0t

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
If they don't know the basics of computers.... because they don't read, and they don't know AH.... because they don't read, why post this thread to alert them.... they won't see it, because they don't read!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
ALT-F4 seperates the boy from the man... :D

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
i love alt F4  :aok

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
To me it's always been a 2 part deal.  I've always considered ALT+F4 to sort of a ritual, hazing, whatever you want to call it.  In the end there's really no harm done, the person has to relog into the game.  Sure it can be a little mean but it's almost like the price of admission.  The 2nd part IMHO is after you've told that helpless little noob to ALT+F4 himself, you really should take a minute to help him out.  You've played a little prank at his expense now help him into the game.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »
What pisses me off more are people that just come in the game and expect everyone else to tell them EVERYTHING about it without doing a bit of reading and/or research. These people deserve to get Alt-F4'd at least once. I don't mind helping someone out that has at least made an effort!

Get over it. :D

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
I agree with rauchen/Shmoken and others who've come down against the Alt+F4 slap.

Soulyss, it was funny when you guys were teenagers but you're more mature now and like many things in life, it's a good idea to revisit things as your viewpoint changes. What if it were your dad, granddad or uncle playing for the first time and you weren't there at his shoulder guiding him through it. This game is only another game, made fun by the people in it and if your teammates act like a bunch of jerks there's no reason to come back after being dumped to the desktop.  Not everyone attracted to a flight sim has played in the rough and tumble world of FPS and they judge games by a different set of standards.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001