Author Topic: Bug in Damage Model to Drone Buffs?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Bug in Damage Model to Drone Buffs?
« on: May 02, 2007, 06:47:32 PM »
I was in LW Blue just now, and shot up 2 of a B-24 formations' drones really well in Spit IX.  They were warping ALL over the place because they were in catch-up mode to the lead but i registered many hits on my end on both of the drones.  

At least one should have died from my hits, the other probably not.

When they finally stopped warping, i immediately lost a wing as the buffs shifted about 300 yards to my right (they were 100 or less in front of me) and out of vision.  I Bailed out of the plane and got no kills, no assists as two other guys finished the buffs off.

Possible bug in the damage model?  

Definitely something goofy with the warping drones in catchup mode...they were shifting hundreds of yards as i gained and fired from their six to the left, right and ahead in distance.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:32:25 AM »
I think there are nothing wrong in drones dm, you just didnt score enough hits.

Warping drones is another question.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I think what you are saying Casper is that while the drones were playing warpy catch up, you landed hits on the stragglers that you feel would be sufficient to down at least the one drone.

Are you suggesting that while the drones are catching up and warping they seem to be invulnerable? That is how im reading it. My apoligies if this isnt what you mean.

In my own experience, weird things DO happen when you choose to attack one of the straggler drones. I attacked a dron in a formation of lancasters a little while ago in a typhoon and lit the plane up landing at least 10 hits to center fuse and left wing. I too couldnt believe that i hadnt even scratched the bomber.

But, there was no damage apparent to the drone UNTIL it warped about 700 yards back into formation position. It then began smoking and leaking fuel from the left wing. It seems that the drone had to catch up, THEN receive the damge I had inflicted. It prolly isnt much different for the damage it inflicted on you if the gunner or pilot happened to have switched to that lagging bomber to gun directly.

The thing I dont understand about warping drones is why enemy drones seem to warp around so terribly, but friendlies dont.  Point in case: I see a enemy bomber formation take off in line formation, then the drones jump-warp into their positions at 1-2, 1-3, after take off. However I take off in a large group of say 12 bomber formations (many players, many planes, much lag right?) and after take off my drones and all the other players in the flight's drones smoothly take up position. No jumping, no warping. Is packet priority assigned to yourself and friendlies first? Dunno.

(shrug)

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
Originally posted by Oleg
I think there are nothing wrong in drones dm, you just didnt score enough hits.

Warping drones is another question.

My main concern was that i received NO assist notif ications when the buffs died...and I should have has at least 2 such notifications for damaging them.  This leads me to thinking somethign is awry.

loser - You are correct - the drones seemed invulnerable in addition to insanely warpy.  I have also seen enemy drones jump-warp straight off the end of a runway when they were launchign at a field i was attacking (i actually dies from colliding with said jump-warping buff drone)

Offline devild0g

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:32 PM »
... thats nothing i was on a b24 400 out and aiming for engine's hit 2 of the engines on lead and 3rd was smoking than he does some attempted upside down thing.... the drones lag SHOOT BACKWARDS hit my plane's right wing off than rebound back towards lead and knock tail off.... Now that is what you call crazy.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:32:36 PM »
I always go for the leader only if any sort maneuvers are going on
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »
Originally posted by bj229r
I always go for the leader only if any sort maneuvers are going on

I found it even more dangerous. I might kill him, so that the drones will insta-warp to his position. I'm often getting in their way...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:58:02 AM »
Originally posted by Casper1
My main concern was that i received NO assist notif ications when the buffs died...and I should have has at least 2 such notifications for damaging them.  This leads me to thinking somethign is awry.

You got nothing because you died (bailed) before bombers died.

Originally posted by Casper1
loser - You are correct - the drones seemed invulnerable in addition to insanely warpy.  I have also seen enemy drones jump-warp straight off the end of a runway when they were launchign at a field i was attacking (i actually dies from colliding with said jump-warping buff drone)

Drones are not invulnerable no matter how warpy or not they are. I often shoot drones first and never had problems with them.

btw, film your sorties.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
Hmm - maybe you're right Oleg...but i could've sworn i've gotten kill notifications from bailing before...maybe i'm wrong.  

Anyways...ill leave this as only a bug with he drones catch up being extremely warpy.

btw - dont tell me how to fill up my hard drive space...