Author Topic: First Build!  (Read 1145 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
First Build!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 07:12:16 AM »
Just a notice:

You don't need two harddrives on your computer if you want to spare yourself of total format. Just partition the drive to 2 or more partitions. That's what I always do and it's a breeze to dump the OS partition and make a fresh install.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
HeHe, I have 2 320s in Raid 1 with 4 partitions and a 160 for backups.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
First Build!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
well well....I'm cooler cuz I use an older computer as a NAS (Network Area Storage) with FTP access that stores backups!  Freenas.org!
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
First Build!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
well well....I'm cooler cuz I use an older computer as a NAS (Network Area Storage) with FTP access that stores backups!  Freenas.org!

Bah that's nothing I back up my personal files on haxx0red Nasa mainframes. Last week I uploaded Debby does Dallas over the Mars Explorer commo source. Man I wanted to see their faces when they opened up the line the next morning. :rolleyes:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
Built it yesterday!

First thing I did was bust a couple of lugs on the front panel of the case trying to get it off! 'Good omen' I thought! But mostly everything else went well and after about 5 hours it was time to fire it up. Hit the on button... Nothing! Check all power leads, main mother board power supply not in properly, push it in, fire up and bingo it posts!!! Yippeee!

As we say over here - 'Its the dogs b@ll@cks!'

Now I have no excuse for being crap! :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
First Build!
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »
5 hours?  

Well I guess the first computer I built took about that long.  Once you have several more system under your belt, you can do a brand new comp in well less than an hour*.

*Granted the manuals you have for the parts were not written in less than 30 seconds and caused you a 45 minute headache.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:34:48 PM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
Hehe, I wanted to make sure I go it right! Im well chuffed with it!

Manuals and me don't get on, I can't make head nor tail of em usually, but I made sure I understood everything - hence the time taken.

Cheers

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
First Build!
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »
good job baggy.

Have you thought about what monitor to get?

A new machine is no good if you havent got a big bellybutton screen.  :t

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
Hi Bruv,

Yes,  a new monitor would help and new joystick and rudder pedals too!

Any suggestions on a decent budget monitor - 20-22" widescreen?

Watching the final tomorrow...

Come on you Pensioners! Stuff the Mancs :-)

Strange how both sets of fans will be from Chelsea!

Cheers

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
First Build!
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
Baggy,why that antec case???? they have a much better,big tho,server case with a 550 psu 1050b I think.
 the psu is very good for it's wattage.....

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
First Build!
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 01:42:49 AM »
5 hours is good.  It took me over 10 hours.  I like to take my time and make it look/function good.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 04:05:27 AM »
Cost was the factor Morfiend! I would have like to have spent more but wifey was already questioning the need for a new pc! :0).

That Antec combination got good reviews and the guys on here gave it the thumbs up.

The one niggly thing at the moment is the temps seem a bit high. Seems to idle in the mid 40s and when playing AH can get up to the late 60s so I'm about to have a look at the heatsink fan (stock fan) to see if its seated correctly and possible replace it and get some better thermal paste. Read that the CPU may be concave and some people lap them? Not sure I'm up to that!

Any thoughts?

I didnt rush it Kermit, being my first build like you say, I wanted to get it all in correctly and neatly. Apart from this temp business, it looks and runs very well.

Cheers

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
Originally posted by Baggy

The one niggly thing at the moment is the temps seem a bit high. Seems to idle in the mid 40s and when playing AH can get up to the late 60s .
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Somethings not right.  

Even when playing AH my cpu won't go past 40*c

High 60's for a conroe can damage it, so i'd try and fix it before continuing to push it.  I read that 60.5* is the temp at which things start breaking down.

You sure you have enough air circulation?  I also recommend a blow hole up top
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
First Build!
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »
At different times I monitor temps on two different Conroe machines with no special cooling. The temps range between 40 and 43C on both of them. I'd get kind of excited if they got close to 60C. You may want to redo the thermal paste application. If you do a search for "arctic silver application" you'll get a detailed, illustrated set of instructions. The procedure requires only a small amount of paste applied in a specific way.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:18:37 AM by Irwink! »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
Baggy, we have nearly the same systems. Mine idles between 30 and 32, running AH for hours it might hit 39 on a bad day. That's using the stock cooler and thermal compound that came with the CPU.

Since the thermal grease is already on the cooler when you get it, you may have put the cooler on in the wrong direction.

The real difference might be in our cases. I have 2 120mm fans and it does have a side air duct for the CPU.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:13:48 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.