Author Topic: Behold! New TG 'Skins'!  (Read 946 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
Agreed.

But, you have to admit, sometimes you just want a model to be eye-catching! Rust does that >:D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »
Teak decks...

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 04:41:59 PM »
Now Widewing there you go proving Krusty wrong again...

"treated" decks would burn easier.  Just like painted bulkheads.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 03:34:36 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Pretty sweet models, but WAY overboard on the rust. Those ships were being cleaned and painted almost CONSTANTLY when not in actual combat (the crew needed SOMETHING to do).

I remember flying off the ship after 1 month underway and as we departed in the Helo, I couldn't help but notice what a rust bucket it looked like.  They do paint the heck out of 'em, but after some time underway, she'll look like an old tin can .  Look at all the rust along the waterline on the Saratoga!

Teak is typically oiled to protect it, and it usually takes on a brownish-orange tint after a fresh application.  However, it fades after exposure (or repeated scrubbing) to the elements to a nice dull gray.  It appears pretty well in WW's photos--especially on the pic of the Saratoga where the entire spectrum of shades is represented from fore to aft.  Notice all the oil stains in the landing area.  Hard to imagine a radial throwing oil...;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:36:47 AM by Stoney74 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
Teak is typically oiled to protect it, and it usually takes on a brownish-orange tint after a fresh application.  However, it fades after exposure (or repeated scrubbing) to the elements to a nice dull gray.  It appears pretty well in WW's photos--especially on the pic of the Saratoga where the entire spectrum of shades is represented from fore to aft.  Notice all the oil stains in the landing area.  Hard to imagine a radial throwing oil...;)

Interesting info!

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 10:37:03 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Pretty sweet models, but WAY overboard on the rust. Those ships were being cleaned and painted almost CONSTANTLY when not in actual combat (the crew needed SOMETHING to do).

No, First Division was dead set on anyone sleeping during the day even though they were up all night doing whatever it is they do, so they would run needle guns on the deck over your head.  The EXCUSE was preservation, but really they were out to get me.

You might find rust on a CV, but it would either be down towards the water line or some out-of-the way place that got needle gunned, primed, and painted starting the next day.  You can watch steel rust at sea.  Pretty interesting.  They have primer on bare metal within minutes.

The decks were *NOT* teak, not on the CVs anyway.  Oregon pine or Douglas fir.  Yes, they planked them with soft wood.  The Japanese used "Ancient pine".  The British used steel.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Behold! New TG 'Skins'!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 12:23:13 AM »
Originally posted by Puck
No, First Division was dead set on anyone sleeping during the day even though they were up all night doing whatever it is they do, so they would run needle guns on the deck over your head.  The EXCUSE was preservation, but really they were out to get me.

I lived under Spot 6 on the Nassau.  Nothing like a Harrier landing at full power to heat the room 10 degrees instantly, and knock all the dust out of the ceiling.