Author Topic: He made it home.  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
He made it home.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
to quote Krusty the Clown, "These are the jokes kid, make wit' da laughing!"

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
He made it home.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
From Warren Bodie's book on the P38.  Of course some seem to believe the 38 was fragile, but I digress :)

No ailerons, canopy top gone, 4 foot hold in the wing, left engine dead and most of the spinner missing, etc etc.

Nothing compares for P-38 surviving to land then what Ken Sparks did with the P-38F; when he rammed the Zero and brought the bird back.  Left otbd wing bent back almost 45 degrees, left prop missing, chunks out of right wing.  Yet it still flew back.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
He made it home.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 07:57:47 AM »
Nothing compares for P-38 surviving to land then what Ken Sparks did with the P-38F

one wing
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Bingolong

• Copper Member
He made it home.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:54:41 AM »
There was a legend in the 8th Air Force about a Flying Fortress with the call sign George 309.

After a raid deep into Germany, cut off from the rest of its formation, slashed and battered, the lone straggling Fortress crawled through the air back to England. Approaching its home base the pilot radioed the control tower:

"Hello, Lazy Fox. This is G for George, 309, calling Lazy Fox. Will you give me landing instructions please? Pilot and copilot dead, two engines feathered, fire in the radio room, vertical stabilizer gone, no flaps, no hydraulics, no brakes, control cables shot away, crew bailed out, bombardier wounded and flying the ship. Give me landing instructions."

After a brief pause the tower replied:
"I hear you, G for George. Here are your landing instructions. Repeat slowly, please, repeat slowly...

"Our Father who art in heaven......."

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
He made it home.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »
Woa, that's amazing! I've heard bomber crews were given basic flying lessons (often by their own pilots) but it's amazing he could fly that!
Did he make it?

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
He made it home.
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 02:25:25 PM »
Originally posted by Dantoo
one wing

OMG! That story is unbelievable! :eek:
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
He made it home.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
Mosquito PR.Mk XVI:

Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
Re: He made it home.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
Originally posted by parin
Was able to fly home safely.

Thats the same skin as the default in the game.

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
He made it home.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 04:13:31 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Mosquito PR.Mk XVI:

Hmmmm.  And a 50 cal sets my mossie on fire?
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
He made it home.
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »
Just looked at the thread again and realised  you could easily miss the link in my post.  I'll make it stand out.

Nobody has survived more damage than this and flown home.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
He made it home.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »
Yeah but you gotta understand, if we could go 500+ with one wing we too could fly home.

The f15's body is flat so at high speeds its like a rocket.
Its a shame all ww2 fighters has a oval or round shape to the body.

"dont gripe i know not all did but dang it 80% or more did :P"

Cool video,thanks.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Leayme

• Copper Member
He made it home.
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Mosquito PR.Mk XVI:

I would be willing to bet if anyone had been there to see it (other than the participants), that mosquito would probably looked like it was warping across the sky like someone with a bad internet connection.

Man can you imagine it, you need to reach deep,  when you are facing an aircraft that totally outclasses you and all you can do is, play dodge ball.

DFC Indeed, I think for that display of skill a VC for the pilot would have been more appropriate.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
He made it home.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 08:44:36 PM »
The photo below demonstrates how tough and well engineered the P-38 was.

In February of 1944, a 10th Photo Group F-5B (photo-recon version of the P-38J) was returning from a post-strike mission, descending through a heavy overcast over the Channel just after sunset. In the darkness and murk of the cloud cover, the Lightning collided nearly head-on with a Bomber Command Halifax heavy bomber climbing out as part of bomber mission to Germany.

Despite horrific damage, the pilot of the F-5B pilot somehow managed to nurse his plane to a safe landing, in the dark...

Embedded in the left outer wing is a complete vertical stabilizer of the Halifax. The right wing is bent back almost 30 degrees, with the leading edge flattened. In addition, the right side prop is badly mangled and it's obvious that the engine stopped on the spot. The right rudder is also badly damaged. The fact that the aircraft survived is amazing as it suffered incredible damage.

The fate of the Halifax is uncertain. Seven of the bombers failed to return from the mission. Of those that did, none was missing a vertical stabilizer. It is assumed that it went down as a result of the mid air collision, crashing into the channel.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:22:37 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
He made it home.
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
my parents were still in army when that happend(f15 landing) was like :O  and i felt proud was pretty funny acutally dude passed out once inside the debreif
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
He made it home.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 09:00:41 PM »
Widewing, what did he do, fly right between the stabs on the tail?? I notice all the damage is on the opposite side from the one with the stabilizer jammed in it!

:confused:

He must have flown right between them, smashed into one, ripped off the other!