Author Topic: tips for wing rockets and bombing  (Read 790 times)

Offline yyrkoon

• Zinc Member
tips for wing rockets and bombing
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
I have been tooling around in my p-38 and p-51 in the offline practice... need to get my leet skillz back before I show people at the bar whats going on...

anyway, was wondering if there were any good links or tips for using these devices... the way i see it, drunks love to blow stuff up, so this would be a point of interest.... :cool:

I know i use my backspace key to toggle between rockets or bombs and my guns and use the secondary guns trigger to fire them.... but i cannot seem to get a divebomb site or anyy site for the rockets... it seems they are more a spray and pray thing... oh, and do the divebrakes on the 38 work?

thanks for the feedback.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
where in Michigan are you?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:20:05 PM »
If you're talking about ground targets, the steeper the dive angle, generally, the more accurate you will be.

Try aiming just above the target, just a tiny bit, with a normal sight. It works for me.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »
I believe in the offline mode there's a command that will bring up a floating bomb or rocket reticle, which will give you an indication of where you're going to hit. Don't remember the command though, sorry. :)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
I think you can set it up offline, and I think it may already be enabled in the TA, but there used to be a leadcomputing cursor of sorts to help you figure out how to aim ordnance more precisely.

Short of that, it really is just a "feel" you get from doing it often enough. Lots of practice, and setting up for your run in the same manner (alt, angle, speed). At least that's how I went about it. I can hit the ground with unerring accuracy with all kinds of ord, and I can sometimes even hit the things I'm aiming for. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »
Yeah, what Hubs said. Although, to this day I have no idea how people can accurately hit moving, swerving GVs with wing rockets. Baffles me.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
Rockets in a p-38....

In a 45 degree dive, the little level ball - contained in the fixing for the gunsight - is pretty much your point of reference. That's what I use anyway. Never failed me.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Rockets in a p-38....

In a 45 degree dive, the little level ball - contained in the fixing for the gunsight - is pretty much your point of reference.  

Tinman are you referring to the center dot in any gunsite?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »
No. There's a turn bank indicator on the gunsight. EDIT: Sorry, not a bank indicator, a slip indicator.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »
There ya go, turn bank indicator, new it had to have a real name, though I prefer "level bubble thinger".
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
"level bubble thinger".

Clearly the more scientific term!
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline yyrkoon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
where in Michigan are you?

I live in holly, but the bar is in Flint.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Here are the sights that I use now. They are alpha (illuminated) sights.

You place both the ???.bmp and ???_alpha.bmp into the HTC\Aces High\sights directory and when choosing the sight in AH setup, you chose the ???.bmp

Fighter: Carefull here because it is named "default". This should automatically change all plane gunsights to this sight without a lot of effort

default.bmp

default_alpha.bmp

Jabo: For this sight I explicitly go into the AH setup and choose this one for all the planes that I use for JABO. The bottom dot is what I use to line up the bomb drop on. Usually try to get 45 degree angle on drop using the lower dot. This dot can also be used for planes that carry rockets. Same degree angle of attack ... I can let them go from 1.5 to 2K out and hit with reasonable accuracy.

default2.bmp

default2_alpha.bmp

Just right click on the images and download them.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 03:03:11 PM »
in the clipboard, go to Arena Settings (options, prefrences or some such thing) and under FlightModelFlags you will find the computer generated thingy you want)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
Plus, reading this articles may help you grasp the basics of A2G attacks with a fixed gunsight:

Air to ground basics, part I. Bombing
Air to ground basics, part II. Bombing
Air to ground basics, part III. Rockets and guns
Live to fly, fly to live!