Author Topic: Beating a dead horse.....  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Beating a dead horse.....
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I'm not staying out because I'm pissed I'm staying out to see in slash can afford to pay six months of my game.

Doesn't work that way. If you want go ahead with the bet, it's on my terms not yours.

You know how the PM's work, let me know what you decide.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:17 PM »
Originally posted by Jester

#1: Always remember Grasshopper - It takes TWO to HO.

It takes two to joust...

Anyway....

I have to admit it is kind of a fine line whenever I pull the trigger at an angle of less than 90* deflection.  I'm sure I've crossed it before, and will do so again.

But all I can say for myself is you'll never find me firing at the first merge in a 1 on 1, and I'll never understand why anyone else would want to, either.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
But all I can say for myself is you'll never find me firing at the first merge in a 1 on 1, and I'll never understand why anyone else would want to, either.

I need to clarify, I dont shoot on the first merge, but after that any shot IMO is fair game no matter what the angle. Once past the merge I will take any shot of opportunity that presents itself, especially in a swirling furball.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Not very much, sometimes not at all for weeks at a time.

Thank God for small favors eh?

storch

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 06:34:34 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Doesn't work that way. If you want go ahead with the bet, it's on my terms not yours.

You know how the PM's work, let me know what you decide.
see what I mean?  the bet was accepted days ago.  you just can't afford to pay attention let alone a bet.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 08:14:07 AM »
Originally posted by Vudak

I'm with you there, I usually refrain from HO'ing any time. The main reason is I'm so lousy at it, I'll usually lose anyway. I will never fire on the initial merge, but I always look for the other guy to, so I try to stay out of his gun cone.

I think a lot of people mistake some high angle attacks for HO's I'll know if I'm on the losing end of a hard turn and my enemy gets his nose around first and fires, it looks like a HO. It's not a HO I just got outflown.

Eagler is one of those guys who can reverse on you very quickley. He'll flip that 109 around and be right outside your gun cone, but have you well within his. Then he kills you. Your first instinct is to think you got HO'd, when in fact you just got out flown.

To me the pure HO tard is the guy that ups a gun bus and has no intention of doing anything else but shooting you in the snout. Like everybody else I get mad about. Then I get mad at myself for allowing it to happen. If a guy maintains a straight nose on course towards you in something like a 110, HurriIIc, Chog, or any other plane, you can just about bet he has HOing on his mind.

I still fall for it a lot. It always pisses me off, but I always have to ask myself.. "Why did you fall for that?" If I try to retaliate like I said earlier, I just get a quick trip back to the tower. I flew against a guy in the AVA Tuesday afternoon on the merge he Ho'd me and blew me away with a 109 . I wasn't expecting it and was being a bit lazy. It angered me so I upped a P-38 with the intention of Hoing this guy,,,, he blew me away again. Both deaths were my fault I was lazy in the first encounter, and a lousy shot in the second. I upped again and avoided his HO, after three merges I had the advantage and could tell he really had no idea what to do when he couldn't HO. I killed him and thought to myself. I shouldn't have let him kill me the first time, always expect the HO!!

Guppy, Jester, I applaud your attittudes of keeping things in perspective. This is a game and nothing like what the real guys did. Nothing at all. It takes none of the bravery, dedication, or skill of real war, or  even real flying. It also carries none of the consequences.

We throw the pilot term around pretty loosely in this game. I know there are a few others in the sim, but the only real fighter pilot I know of in here is 1Duke1.

This is competition however. Competitors are naturally aggressive, and it carries over into other areas of the sim. We lucky as hell to even have a sim like this to participate in. I think we complain too much and enjoy too little. If we can get the fights in the cartoon planes in AVA to the same intensity of the BBS and the text buffer,we'll have something.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty

Well put.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »
indeed Shifty
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Thank God for small favors eh?

Just for that I'm going to fly this weekend *****!

"I vill break yoo"

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »
Just had some good fights in there, most didn't end in my favor, but I enjoyed them none the less. Thanks to all the gentlemen in there, red25 especially, that was a fun fight - 190a5 against a p40, thanks!
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »
omg  - so there is a place where time stands still  ;)

g'day AvA peeps
I come from a land downunder

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
g'day AvA peeps
Redd! S! The skill level has gone up while the trash talk remains the same -just my opinion- but you're an welcome addition anytime, if you're planning on staying, mate! :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
...... I think we complain too much and enjoy too little. If we can get the fights in the cartoon planes in AVA to the same intensity of the BBS and the text buffer,we'll have something.

This is a real good post Shifty .  I think it is important to not only remember the ideals we chose for "fair play" in the AvA but the proper method to communicate them.  That will really lead to a great community, which in turn leads to fun for all.

I know I for one have enjoyed the fights and great attitude in there the past few weeks.  Contrary to how some may think. I believe how we conduct ourselves in the arena and how that is perceived has a great impact upon the "health" of the community.  If people are really truly committed to rebuilding this arena that is something they must always keep in mind.  A strong community will be our biggest draw over the MA.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2007, 10:53:14 PM »
Hi y'all. I'm too busy lately to fly my woobiecane. Play nice till I get back
325th Checkertails

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007, 12:41:10 AM »
Popped in for a bit again tonight (thursday).  Once again had a blast flyin' and dyin' with my usual reckless abandon.

That's two solid nights I've seen in the AvA this week.  Keep up the good show.

:)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.