Author Topic: Falwell Dead  (Read 3367 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Falwell Dead
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »
Originally posted by 68Hawk
If you think this is taken out of context, your damn wrong.  I've seen the wider video too, which used to be more readily available.

-edit-
The video won't link right (damn CNN).  Follow this link to the news story and click the 'watch Falwell blame pagans' link in the text near the bottom.
link
-edit-

Anyone who blames 9/11 on such a wide swath of Americans just because they disagree with their 'lifestyles' is certainly a fool, probably an idiot and possibly just plain feeding you a line of crap to get you pissed off.  

What a joke of a human being.

Americans have been blamed by many for the 9/11 attack for reasons as diverse as killing and oppressing muslims to our tolerance in not killing gays in this country and many perceived crimes in between. The fact is that those who attacked the United States of America on September 11, 2001 did so for a reason and they blamed it on us. We are not a disinterested party in world affairs. If our influence embitters some we should not remain ignorant of that fact.

I think Jerry Falwell believed that America is a land of the indulgent and he believed that God did not put us here to indulge ourselves. 9/11 was a dramatic and significant event. What person who devotes himself to be an instrument of God would not consider such an event to be worthy of examination?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Falwell Dead
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »
If you think this is taken out of context, your damn wrong.  I've seen the wider video too, which used to be more readily available.

-edit-
The video won't link right (damn CNN).  Follow this link to the news story and click the 'watch Falwell blame pagans' link in the text near the bottom.
link
-edit-

Anyone who blames 9/11 on such a wide swath of Americans just because they disagree with their 'lifestyles' is certainly a fool, probably an idiot and possibly just plain feeding you a line of crap to get you pissed off.  

What a joke of a human being.

You are really quick to call a life a joke. There are so many different ways you could have put your philosophical and religious differences. To dismiss a life of honestly looking for an answer as a joke pretty much rebukes you. There are so many other ways to disagree with someone without invalidating them. Maybe in a few years you'll learn a few. Maybe not. But at this point, you are not clever.

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Falwell Dead
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »
I'm not quick to call him a joke.  That comes after many years of his own statements.  

Of course terrorists attacked us because they don't like the American way of life, largely because of our country's actions in the world.  That does not excuse, or even blend analysis with, Falwell's statement that gays, pagans and the ACLU are at fault and that God is punishing us for them.  That's really no different from the Westborogh freaks, only more temperate.  One could easily say that those fools are only "honestly looking for an answer".  That doesn't mean their views are worthy of my respect.  

This also doesn't mean I would ever advocate that they be forced to change their beliefs.  I would, however, have glady joined the veterans in driving them away from Walter Reed.  That's just plain defending the veterans.  

If you want to support statements like this I feel sorry for you.  If you want to imply that I am juvenile for taking such a strong stand against hatred, a mass categorization of 'others' in American society, and a frankly shoddy analysis of international affairs I really don't care.  Falwell was a joke, and only because he put the egg on his own face.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Falwell Dead
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »
I haven't listened to or follow Falwell in decades but I've yet to see a direct quote in which he said God punished the US for the acts of the ACLU or anyone. Perhaps he did but I think it more likely he said or insinuated that the ACLU is responsible for the attack. That's a lot different.

Ok, I looked it up. Here's what he said:

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America," he said. "I point the finger in their face and say 'You helped this happen.' "
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Falwell Dead
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »
Yeah Iron, he said that anyone who wasn't a Christian in America helped 9/11 to happen.  

and before that other statement they're warning of far worse attacks, and Falwell says, "The ACLU's got to take a lot of blame for this."

The sad part is that they're not joking.
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Falwell Dead
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »
Yeah Iron, he said that anyone who wasn't a Christian in America helped 9/11 to happen.  

and before that other statement they're warning of far worse attacks, and Falwell says, "The ACLU's got to take a lot of blame for this."

The sad part is that they're not joking.

Why is it sad? Would you rather their beliefs to be rhetoric? Jerry Falwell was an Evangelical Christian. Are YOU prepared to outlaw that or just make fun of it? Are you going to make fun of Harri Kristina's next? Muslims next week? Falwell was an Evangelical Christian that operated well within the laws of the United States. Why do you fell the need to affect he was some type of criminal? He was doing exactly what this country was established for ( at least in the press package).

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Falwell Dead
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
Please quote me if I have ever claimed that Christianity should be illegal or that Falwell should be silenced in any way.  

I believe I've been very clear in this thread that I would defend everyone's right to believe what they want, even if what they believe is as hateful as Falwell's.  Am I vilifying him?  Yes.  Am I criminalizing him?  No.
68th Lightning Lancers