Author Topic: everyone loves the ww2online lack of 6 view  (Read 3964 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
everyone loves the ww2online lack of 6 view
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
Me thinks somebody has taken the worm and is now running that line to the far end of a deeeep lake...  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
"Take your head and turn it 90 degrees to the left of center.  Then, turn your eyes as far left as they can go.  Through the miracle known as peripheral vision, you actually can see behind you without literally turning your head all the way around Linda Blair-style."

Add in that WWII piltos had shoulder movement and they could move thier torso too.  

The WW2O six view implementation is about as bogus a feature as I've seen anywhere. Same with thier cockpit gauge view. It's obvious a  n artificial gameplay crutch to suit the B&Z types which... surprise, surprise, is what most of the CRS folks were when they were players.

If you fly with a wingy and stay high and fast you're untouchable as most opponants can't see you due to the artificial "blind" imposed on them.

On the other hand a "Linda Blair" view is just as bad. Take up a 109 or P-47D11 in AH and there is no such thing. But I do think you should not be able to go from a 7 view straight over to a 5 view without having come all the way around front first.

-Westy

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
WWIIOnline does the realism of disallowing the 6 view (at this point how do we know they didn't just run out of time to put it in and made that story up?  :)), and even to model the rear view mirror, but not make it work?  :rolleyes:

Yeah, you see me practically standing in line for that kind of realism.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
LOL... "realism" for some guys is to substitute skill for sneaking up in a fast plane.   If they can't do that then the views are "unrealistic".   forget that every fact contradicts their idea of the "no view six view".

My uncle in law flew Hellcats off carriers.  He gave me the strangest look when I asked him if he could see behind him in the Hellcat (one of the more restrictive planes)  "you just turned around and looked.  There was no problem seeing behind you".   Ask any pilot at an airshow and they will tell you that it is easy to see the rear stabilizers of Corsairs.   It is easier to see with a bubble top but that's all, just easier.  

The no six view morons must have neck injuries and are sure to be a menace in cars.  Anyone advocating no six view should not be allowed to drive.   The evidence is overwhelming that six views like WB and WWII online are simply wrong and most likely exist due to lack of programing ability and laziness not, any sort of nod to "realism".   AH may be too easy to look around in but... It has no rear view mirrors or peripheral vision so it's probly a wash.  Still head and shoulders above anything else out there.
lazs

Offline SB

• Administrator
      • http://home.swbell.net/hmason
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
I'll post my CH Pro Throttle USB review in the hardware forum but here's the view part. You want realistic views? Grab you a the new throttle and map your pan views to the mini joystick on the throttle. Your view movement is a full 360 degree circle but you have to go right to get the right back view if you looked back by looking left. You want to just peek down a hair to check a gauge you can't see in the normal front view, no problem. You want to look up, front, left? Again a small movement with your thumb will do it for you. No more multiple keypresses to get it done. This view system rocks! It will take some time to get used to it but I think it is really worth it. FWIW I have my head movement keys mapped to the 8-way hat right behind the view stick. Only gripe is that the F8 pan mode can't be chosen as a default and I have to switch for each view change.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
"Grab you a the new throttle and map your pan views to the mini joystick on the throttle"

THAT was one of the first thoughts and wonders about the new USB PRo-Throttle I had a year ago. Glad to hear that it rocks SB. Thanks!

-Westy

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2001, 03:38:00 AM »
Couldn't say that WWII OL's rear view is that much realistic..
but you cant see directly to your high 6, which I think is realistic.
Could be perhaps bit more leaning allowed for 6 view.
but then again, AH has too generous like on said.

In air combat of WWII OL, its fun when you have to be very close to hit something and people can lose you in the terrain (even though that anti-aircraft roundel, but that fades slowly so it doesnt help that much.. and its useful when it becomes to low FPS and can't track target that well)

Now we just have to wait they get the FM tweaked a little more.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »
I guess not "everyone loves the ww2online lack of six view" huh?

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2001, 05:29:00 AM »
Talking about realism. I know there are a lot of real pilots here. How many of you, tightly tied in your belts, are able to check easily at 5 or 7 o clock? I'm talking about aerobatics not cross-country flying  ;)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
I can gatt ..

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
How many real pilots have a 90 degree field of view packed into a 17" square, no peripheral vision, and no depth perception?

Hell, you would never be alowed to pilot a plane in "real life" if your sight was as restricted as what we have in these "sims".  The view system has to be much more flexible than your head positions in "real life" to make up for the poor excuse for eyeballs that we have to deal with in a computer monitor.

Restricting the viewing system too much is far more "un realistic" than the awesome flexible system we have in AH now.  The AH view system is flexible, configurable, and demonstrates the advantages and disadvatages of the various planes in terms of how easy it was to see out of them.  That really is the point... to have the plane's attributes in terms of vision restrictions matter in the game.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
:::chuckles:::  Now that Ram has left for WWII Online, I guess we'll have start having "When is Citabria going to have his next embolism" pools.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
I can do it pretty easy in a Vultee BT-13 Gat. I'd say that has a cockpit/canopy that's fairly representative of WW2 single engine aircraft.

The only thing that really makes looking around hard is negative G.   :D The positives (withing reason)aren't a major problem.

BTW, Leph, that is an excellent summary.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Gatt wrote:  
How many of you, tightly tied in your belts, are able to check easily at 5 or 7 o clock?

Ummm I did.

In fact thats where you are the most misinformed. When I took my aerobatic AT6 Texan flight I left my harness what I felt was "very loose", but the instructor pilot told me that I had it "too tight".

And I could still very easily check my six under up too 5 G's with very little effort.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn:
How many real pilots have a 90 degree field of view packed into a 17" square, no peripheral vision, and no depth perception?

Hell, you would never be alowed to pilot a plane in "real life" if your sight was as restricted as what we have in these "sims".  The view system has to be much more flexible than your head positions in "real life" to make up for the poor excuse for eyeballs that we have to deal with in a computer monitor.

Restricting the viewing system too much is far more "un realistic" than the awesome flexible system we have in AH now.  The AH view system is flexible, configurable, and demonstrates the advantages and disadvatages of the various planes in terms of how easy it was to see out of them.  That really is the point... to have the plane's attributes in terms of vision restrictions matter in the game.

Absolutely the way I see it as well, too much realism on a 2D monitor takes the fun out of it, unless you LIKE having no fight, and simly being an alt monkey until a hapless victim comes by and doesn't see you...some like it like that, right Cita?  ;)