Author Topic: Joystick Problem  (Read 445 times)

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Joystick Problem
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
I'm pretty new to this online gaming thing.  Aces High is my 1st online adventure.  I've been here a couple months.  I've played plenty offline with various flight sims since the mid-1980's.

Yesterday I was playing around in the training area in F4 mode out the chase view end.  Whenever I pitched forward in "Y" I noticed I also skid a wee bit to the right, tail goes left.  I've got a Saitek AV8R-01 "twisty" joystick, USB plug.  I think I spent $50.  I didn't want to spend more money on a joystick as I wasn't sure if I was sticking around here very long.  Well, I'm hooked.  

My observation with the sliding effect is, cheap joystick and rudder control is bleeding into pitch control.  I dropped my firewall as I thought that might be the issue, but still the problem.

(Previous joystick was Logitech Attack3, but I had no HAT button and no rudder control.)

I setup to calibrate 1st in Control Panel, I have XP Home, then calibrate in the clipboard in mapping or whatever it is called.  I setup the advanced mode in the defalut scaling for Y, X, and Z twisty.  The motion is better, not great.  I probably need a better stick and separate rudder pedals.  I've read the training sites (both) literature online about joystick setup, but the scaling process is all new to me.

I just wanted opinions from guys with more experience at it than my own experiments.

Also, notice, in internal cockpit view out the front, I jump around a little bit after a stick move.  What needs to be adjusted?

This experiment I was using the Spit VIII as an example.  A real hassle aiming guns.

Thanks for any help,

Daubie

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »
On the clipboard where you entered advanced mode and scaled the axis you'll see two sliders.

One says Damping and the other is Dead Band.

I'd play with the Dead Band for the Rudder axis and see if that helps.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Joystick Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
Blooz nailed it IMO.

Raise deadband for rudder. Makes so that you have to twist the stick farther before it sends input for rudder. Not so likely to do it without meaning to.

Had to do the same for my MS sidewinder.

Easy way to test if its right.

Jump into a big bomber, takeoff, jump into tailgun.

Move & pan the gun around, if the plane moves (do to rudder input) you don't have enough yet. If you can gun without getting unintended rudder then you should be good to go.

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
Hi to Blooz & Ghosth,

I'll give that a go.  Thanks for the input.

Man, Ghosth I've been into the archives here.  You and a hand full of others have been here since about day one, I think 1999.

I tried WarBirds, but Aces High is much, much better.  I get a very hesitant screen to WB, not here.  It's like the buffer has to reset to catch up every 10 seconds or so.  My WBIII cd works beautiful, but not online.

Daubie

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »
I have been playing with the AV8R for over a year. Its a better stick for me than the x52 our the x45 and i never liked pedals in my life.  I have purchased just about every product that you can manage and my best set up so far is:

Nostromo) For throttle and programed buttons
AV8R) I take it back to the store every 3 months for a new one.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »
It sounds to me like propwash, P-factor, and gyroscopic effect.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:50:10 AM »
Look to me parasite rudder input like Blooz said add a bit of dead band to the rudder axis (do not change the scaling yet).

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »
Originally posted by FX1
I have been playing with the AV8R for over a year.  I take it back to the store every 3 months for a new one.

Used to have the Evo, which always seemed to develop nose bounce after 3 - 6 months. The Best Buy replacement warranty is a wunderful thang! Do you find the AV8R to have the same issue?

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Joystick Problem
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Used to have the Evo, which always seemed to develop nose bounce after 3 - 6 months. The Best Buy replacement warranty is a wunderful thang! Do you find the AV8R to have the same issue?

Its almost the same stick.. When its new out of the box their great but after a couple hard months it will develop dead spots.

Compusa is less than 2 miles from my house so I have no problems returning them as i see fit.

Also i took the EVO hand rest off and taped it to the AV8. The AV8 is just a stick with no hand rest and i could see using it without a hand rest.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Re: Joystick Problem
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by Daubie
Whenever I pitched forward in "Y" I noticed I also skid a wee bit to the right, tail goes left.

I repeat, this sounds to me like normal gyroscopic effect.  Are you familiar with this?

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Hi Benny Moore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
Gyroscopic action?

I am familiar with engine turn/slipstream effect.  None of all the other sims I have done is anything like Aces High II.  I've watched WWI bi-planes taxi and takeoff via You-Tube and after playing around here, understand a bit more what goes on in real life.

I've read of forums here, the training pages to Aces High and netAces.  I did not yet have my current Saitek twisty for rudder control.  I have a filing cabinet drawer of printed out pages of stuff I've found helpful, indexed, as my reference material from my readings here.  I had a Logitech Attack 3 joystick and rudder control was the keyboard.  I was taxing from hangar, via taxi-way to the end of runway by the resupply area.  Why?  Because I wanted to.  Taking off without auto-takeoff ain't so easy!  I read about the why the need of applying rudder and how to lock the tail wheel.  For 2 months I've flown just about all the planes.  I've been self taught until a day or two ago.

I did a training session with Ren yesterday.  I had my dampening(?) set too low, it is the right side vertical bar, whatever it is labelled, in Advanced mode, scaling turned on.  He advised 3/4 of an inch above the bottom setting and that seems to have fixed it.  I used a ruler to set it on screen.

Thanks for your advice.  If you want to explain it yourself, please do.

Daubie