Author Topic: P-39 Needed  (Read 1751 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
P-39 Needed
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
In my reading about the Pacific theater of WW2, I've been quite surprised at how prominently the P-39 was featured, even well into the late war.

I'd like to see the P-39, but like many other planes, I think it would be more of a sideshow for hot sticks, or for AvA setups.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
P-39 Needed
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
Originally posted by Knegel
And also the P40B miss oponents, the flying tigers dont had Zeros as opponent, they fought Ki-27´s and Ki-43-I´s mainly.
For 1942-45 we have many planes available, thats why i would prefer more early planes at 1st.

If HTC was going to release several EW planes together ..... Brewster Buffalo, Gee Bee R-1, Fiat G.50, Macchi MC.200, Nakajima Ki-27,  I-16 ..... , sure that'd be fun on various levels.  

But, as new plane additions to the game are very few and far between, and since the majority of the players stay in the two LW arenas, and as adding game content is generally important to keeping players interested in paying the monthly fee to keep playing, and there are many FM updates still pending to be made to existing plane set, it's kind of hard for me to argue to additional EW planes getting any kind of priority.  

And although Nate and Oscar would be the historical foes for P-40's in the Rangoon snapshot, the original rules call for a 40% Allied, 60% Axis split (IIRC) to reflect Axis superior numbers ---- what USUALLY happens is the Allies have more initial pilots --- or at best you get a 50/50 split ---- as most walk on events have the Allies favored by the players joining up to play because of the planes available.

Now, take away the Zeke, give the Axis the even more under-gunned and flimsy Nate or Oscar... you'll be very hard pressed to get enough pilots to fly Axis.... and the Axis will need their historical numbers advantage even more to make for a decent match.  What is "historical" doesn't always translate well into an online game and it's player's group dynamics.

I'd love to see an influx of planes into AHII, especially the non-American and non-British planesets.  The reality is this game has been around a long time.  How much longer it will be around is one for marketing.  How much HTC invests into the game in the future depends on expected revenues and how long things can continue.  Are there any competitors our there that may introduce their own online WWII air combat game in the future?  Is there an AHIII on the horizon?  Will ToD see the light of day, and will it be a success or failure?  

A lot of unknowns out there from our point of view as the player..

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
P-39 Needed
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »
Originally posted by morfiend
I believe it use an Oldsmobile built 37 mm cannon

But,I'd like to see a 20mm optional loadout:aok

Yep, IIRC it was the Olds built cannon, and it had a bad tendency to jam up on the pilot (something we don't experience playing the game fortunately).

Also, to maintain the CG, expended brass casing from that 37mm (and probably the 20mm's too) was kept onboard the plane.  In transport/ferry flights, ballast was loaded into the ammo bins.  If these things were not done, the P-39 had a higher chance of getting into a flat spin that was all but unrecoverable.

I'd settle for the 37mm if it were a P-39N with 2 X .50's (nose) and 4 X .30's (wings) , or the P-39Q with 4 X .50's (nose and wings).