Author Topic: Terragen to TE  (Read 658 times)

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
What is the process of creating  a bmp file from the Terragen program.
I thought it would fairly straight foward on the Terragen end.....wrong. I cant find the the command to create a bmp file.:(

Also how do I translate that into the TE?

Thanks,

Ryan
CFYA

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »
I have gotten the TileSetter and looks fairly straight foward.

However.....

I when I go to use the terragen *.ter file it will not allow me to use the file. It gives me an error message saying "please choose a *.elv file". I clicked the box for using a elavation file with the *.ter sufix.

What am I missing?

Thanks

CFYA

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
Never mind figured that out. You replace the ter file in the map file correct?

The tile setter doesnt seem to be changing the map tho?

CFYA
Ryan

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:28:04 AM »
Yes, the TG file has to be in the same folder as your .elv file.

So far as not changing the TE file, are you setting the tiles or just importing the TG file?

If you're just importing the TG file the terrain will still be all water.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:35:39 AM »
Oh, one more little hint...

Remember Terragen deals with elevations both above and below sea level. The TE only works with elevations above sea level.

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 01:30:01 PM »
I have been using the min/max elevation feature on the Terragen program so there shouldnt be anythign below sea level.

I have an unregister version of terragen. I noticed that the help file with the tilesetter is looking for a 1024x1024 file. I am using a 512 (highest available unregistered) setting. Will this cause a problem?

I know what you mean about the tiles still being water but the elevations arent changing. This could be caused by the above situation. Registration is a C note. :eek: I am hoping that its not an issue....setting tiles by hand will be a real pain!

Thanks again...

Ryan

CFYA

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »
Yes it will be a problem. None of the elevations will import properly at the 512 TG file size.

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Figured as much.:(

I registered Terragen so I will give that a try now.

I think the name of the game when creating terrains is headaches!

Thanks...

Ryan

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
Originally posted by CFYA
Figured as much.:(

I registered Terragen so I will give that a try now.

I think the name of the game when creating terrains is headaches!

Thanks...

Ryan
You're learning. ;)

Now, another hint. Set your variables in TG so you have the metric equivalents of what the terrain will actually be.

By the way.... I despise TG. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:44:06 PM by NHawk »

Offline CFYA

• Copper Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:06 AM »
I could never guess why! lol

Maybe you could have some input on this.

Is there a way to modify the .TER from the TG program by hand in another program......ie photoshop?

I want to be able to map out an island setup and transfer my lake/ocean to the terrain.

FYI Everything is good now.....does everything as advertised. I love you NHawk/Machnix!!:D

Thanks again

Ryan

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Terragen to TE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »
Why not import the TG file into the TE then export the elevation .bmp from the TE so you can edit it in Photoshop?

Or, and I'd have to fire up my old system to check if this can be done...Export the elevation .bmp directly from TG and edit it.