Author Topic: X52 Gurus check this out please  (Read 263 times)

Online Max

• Platinum Member
X52 Gurus check this out please
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »
My AH rig is a eMachine laptop
AMD 64 3000+ 1.6 Mhz
767 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility card

The Hotas is a full Saitek X52 including Pro Flight peds. The X and Y axis are scaled. Each begin around 50% and reach 100% about 2/3rds across the top of the scales. Rudder input begins around 30%

The input response on both X and Y axis seems a bit quick and jerky, especially in a close-up turn fight. I've tried the X & Y axis defaults as well as adding a little damping; doesn't make much difference. And yes, I calibrate before taking off.

Now if I fly the same rig on my kids computer, the responses seem to be more smooth and user friendly...no nose bounce or herky-jerky moves. His system is:

Dell Dimension 4800
P4 2.8 Ghz
1 gig RAM
Radeon X300 card

Is it possible that the computer itself can determine the difference in joystick input? Granted the kid's system has a bit more horsepower than my laptop but I'm puzzled as to the difference.

Any suggestions? Workarounds? Thanks! :aok

Offline THO673

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
are both running the same operating system? if not that could be the problem, also i have seen several people discuss the power supply amount for the usb port the device is connected to being the problem due to under powering. hope that gives you a couple of possible quick fixes.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
After the CH thread, and Skuzzy's remarks on USB sticks in general, I'd snag one of those Belkin hubs and see what happens.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
Yup, both rigs use XP Home.

The laptop system specs do not list any power supply references. I do use it with an AC adaptor. I'll give the Belkin hub a shot tho I doubt that's causing the problem.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »
The emachine is cheap. Very cheap. That's why they exist: to provide low cost devices. That means they skimp on a special area: The PSU.

It could very well just be the power supply getting to the joystick. Try getting a self-powered USB hub (one that plugs into the wall) as mentioned in the CH thread Hub refered to.

EDIT: Had a thought.. You're on a laptop. Look for settings that "powersave" on peripherals, including USB devices. It could be that the laptop is trying to save power somehow.

EDIT2: If I recall you can go to the device manager and check the hardware properties. I seem to recall there's some option on the USB ports regarding power or something.