Author Topic: Any training maps with pilots with AI?  (Read 474 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Any training maps with pilots with AI?
« on: May 26, 2007, 06:27:02 AM »
Hi all, just wondering whether there were any training maps with pilots with some ai (apart from flying around in circles that is). Apologies if this has been asked before, did a quick search but didnt find any answers.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:09:13 AM »
Nope

No offline ai yet. All you get is the drones that circle.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »
damn....thanks Ghost....

Wurzel

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
Re: Any training maps with pilots with AI?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:08:16 AM »
Originally posted by gpwurzel
Hi all, just wondering whether there were any training maps with pilots with some ai.
Wurzel

You might try just simply setting up some of your own, using the scenarios in the TA.  There is a lot of area there that can be worked with, target ID and asking help from the various flyers or trainers that are usually there.
:cool: :noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
Hi wurzel,

Once you get the hang of taking off and landing.  If you manage to track those drones and kill them I think your ready to try your "2week " free trial.

If you didnt want to do that go for online games then click H2H,  You may be lucky to find a decent room with decent opponents.  However, most of h2h is full of freeloaders or kids messing about with room settings.  Max player limit = 8 so its ok for practice but nothing compared to flying into a load of enemy cons.

The subscription works out about £2 pound a week which isnt much for the pleasure of playing against humans good and bad ;)

The online game has much more going on.

Maybe you know me as we live in the same city?

Bruv
~S~
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:30:16 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:03:09 AM »
Hey  Bruv, yup, already subscribed fella.....as for knowing you - possibly, pompey aint that big......but I'm not a regular online player......which is looking at being changed having spent last night just checking round the lobby and the arena's etc............it'll keep the wife happy, bless her cotton socks...lol..

Wurzel:aok

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 01:24:21 AM »
Only reason I asked is because I got talking about the game at work when a guy mentioned he was looking for a flight simulator to play.

The game has a steep learning curve and some have been here for years.  Dont get to disheartened if you jump into the main arena and get your arse handed to you.  We have all been there at some point and thats what makes the game so addictive.

You dont know how good your enemy is until your up there fighting them and the skill level varies so much.  

There are lots of things you can do to your setup and download to improve the gameplay and immersion.

If you have a good PC try looking for the Hi res pack download (makes the game look better)  and sound packs (you can replace the default sounds with way better player made ones)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:47:35 AM »
Cool beans, I'll look into those packs, but think my pc is getting on a bit now...lol......I work in IBM, if thats any help to ya......(seems like I'm never out of the place.....but could be worse......)

Wurzel

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »
Cool stuff.

I drive past pretty much everyday  I work in IT based in Fareham.

If you see a copper/orange 2.0l peugeot 206 Gti flying down the motorway tis me!

Also if you stick at it i'm sure we will run across each other in game I'm always prepared to take a British Noob under my wings.  A pompey noob even more so!

My squad The Few are all Brit/European.  Numbers a bit down at the moment, as its coming into summer, but dont go joining any squads until your ready.

Also, so you don't get into any bad habits, there are 3 countries in game that you can fly for Bishops, Knights and Rooks we are usually Rook.  Some deluded people get all country loyal and its hard to get them to swap teams.

As a minority us brits need to stick together and its hard to do this when some refuse to change countries every once and awhile to fly with friends.

Planes to start with I suggest the Spitfire mk IX.  Good all round performance and it will help you to learn turn fighting before BnZ.  Joystick and rudder pedal setup is also a bit of a minefield at first.  

All this is in store and more I could go on but i feel this is getting too long already

;)

Above all else enjoy it and have fun.  Don't get frustrated, ask questions and after a couple of months you will be killing more than what kills you.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:17:29 AM »
Thanks Fella, been chopping and changing settings to get the best of of my machine, changing planes to at least get an initial impression of how they fly etc...............and yep, learning curve seems to be a bit of a beast.......can get into the air (auto take off so veeery easy..lol.and i know....but hey)........and can keep it there, so lining up on the drones not hard, can sort of land it (but it definitely wont be flying again after I have lol)....so need to sort out some of the basics.........but I'll get there, I'm way too stubborn to give up cos it gets difficult...lol.....

If you see a black signum closing on your six on the m27, with old man music and a fat bloke at the wheel, that'll be me...lol..........

Wurzel

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 02:27:17 AM »
lol

well wait until you land your first 2 kill sortie thats when the hook really bites in.  

My best advice for landing is SPEED.  ideally you want to be between 100-80mph on touch down.  To slow down you can wiggle your rudder to bleed off energy.  Or do small scissoring movements just before you line up the runway.

Just pull one way roll the other and pull some more until your nicely slowed down  then gears and flaps.  If your too fast the gear will either not deploy at all or make a creaking noise if its out but your too fast.

You can also improve your view positions in the cockpit.  Use your numpad or joystick HAT switch.  Hold it back so your looking behind the plane then use the arrow keys to move your pilot forward then hit F10 without letting go.  This will save the head position and increase your behind view alot in certain planes.

Basically the arrow keys move your pilot about in his seat.  Page up and down move him up and down.  [ and ]  are zoom in and out for pretty much everything.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:56:14 AM »
Good tip on the looking back bit fella, found a lot of the planes have a very limited view :) :cool:

cheers fella

Wurzel

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 03:04:14 AM »
you can do this for every single head position.

So if you map look back right for the bottom right hat  edge move your pilot to the very side of his seat and forward  then f10 to save it.

I played for a whole month without knowing any of that.  Still killed a fair share tho ;)

also  for views  shift F1-F3   full vis range, short and ground vis range.

Popup trees are annoying too set the terrain distance to  MAX.

In preferences  un check the stall limiter box as this is a default setting turned on.  Whilst your completely new you might aswell turn it off now so you learn the game without it.

It acts as training wheels and forces the nose of the plane down when you reach a stall.  You can get much better performance in turns with it off.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 03:07:10 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 03:48:53 AM »
Cheers Fella, all these tips are useful, will turn off the stall limiter tonight...should be interesting...lol......alread y turned off the combat trim tab....toggle it on and off when lining up and getting ready to take a shot.....(read it on the forum..lol)....and thats pretty useful too..

Wurzel