Author Topic: Why are "some" good sticks bad losers ?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Why are good sticks bad losers ?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 06:22:58 AM »
Generally, because they are wannabe's with loud mouths to begin with.  

And because they are loud and obnoxious and in your face, it's harder to notice the guys that have class in all the "noise".

edit ->

A good pilot will admit and salute his defeated pilot ! Right ?

Not necessarily - I don't salute a pilot I've defeated.  Too many people are touchy, and some construe a Salute after being shot down as "Ha-ha I got you."   Since you can never tell, I just don't.  

(In another sim I played for a long time, the dot command to send was  ".s", and when I first started playing AH I'd accidentally salute when I meant to pm people, which is how I know for sure that some don't take it kindly.)

If it was a good fight (and I can spare the time and attention!), I'll private text message a compliment.  But if I send a ".s", it's only in response to the downed pilot's ".s".

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:52:15 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 06:58:14 AM »
In my very first week of AH, I was guilty of what I now know is a classic newb maneuver - I upped and flew a whole sector and HOed the first plane I saw, which turned out to be Shane. You should have seen his rant. :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 07:17:49 AM »
The truly great sticks are almost never vocal. They simply don't have to be, they've been there and done that and yes they do remember.

Its the wannabe's & the fragile ego's that are mouthy on 200 when they lose.
They can't accept that THEY did something wrong, so they need someone to "blame" things on. If your still flying and they are dieing guess what, no matter what they say. You won.

So treat Channel 200 as what it is, the cheapest live comedy show you will ever see. Its open mic night at Aces High, everyone gets to say his bit. Its a laugh a minute and worth what you pay for the game all in itself.  :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »
If I get killed it's only my fault.
Crappy ACM, lack of SA, accepting a HO, flying into an enemy horde or just upping at a bad day.

For some people, it's always someone else' fault.
And if they are running ot of arguments... well, there is always HTC who "should really fix (collisions, FM, guns lethality or whatever)" ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
If I get killed it's only my fault.
Crappy ACM, lack of SA, accepting a HO, flying into an enemy horde or just upping at a bad day.

For some people, it's always someone else' fault.
And if they are running ot of arguments... well, there is always HTC who "should really fix (collisions, FM, guns lethality or whatever)" ;)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
Agree with Dano.  Generally you will improve further and quicker if you are a bad loser/determined, because it gives you the motivation to better yourself, and that is true with any walk of life.

There are alternative views.  

Bad losers are making excuses, rather than learning from their errors.  Possibly it makes them feel better about themselves, but it hardly spurs improvement.

I agree with Phil's point that it's important to remember that the new guy you shot is (usually) trying hard, and benefits from encouragement, rather that taunting.  

I except from the foregoing those who vulch and or gang.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Bad losers are making excuses, rather than learning from their errors.  Possibly it makes them feel better about themselves, but it hardly spurs improvement.

Agree 100%
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 07:49:32 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
If I get a kill then that part is over and done with. I've already forgotten about it and moved on to the next fight. If I lose a fight or die because of inattention to SA then I kick myself and grab another drink or p break while I climb out of a field to do battle again.

I agree with Ren, especially this part. I also agree that being competitive will make you better and I am very competitive, but in this game I am not competing against other players I am competing against myself to be better every time I play. I am a very bad loser, but when I lose I am not mad at the other player I am mad that I did something stupid to lose the fight. It is misplaced anger to aim it at the other player in this game, if they shoot you down they are doing what they are supposed to do.

The guys that do complain after you shoot them down, send them a salute anyway and move on to the next fight. They are not worth stressing over.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 07:50:23 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
The truly great sticks are almost never vocal.

Absolutely. Brings to mind a squaddie, KITE777. He was always a good sport about winning or losing, and didn't say much. He was a very good stick and it was entertaining to watch him blaze through the bad guys like a knife through butter. He unfortunately hasn't played at all since HTC changed the arena layout.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 08:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
I agree with Ren, especially this part. I also agree that being competitive will make you better and I am very competitive, but in this game I am not competing against other players I am competing against myself to be better every time I play. I am a very bad loser, but when I lose I am not mad at the other player I am mad that I did something stupid to lose the fight. It is misplaced anger to aim it at the other player in this game, if they shoot you down they are doing what they are supposed to do.

The guys that do complain after you shoot them down, send them a salute anyway and move on to the next fight. They are not worth stressing over.

Well said. Probably accounts for most of the rants.

Now...if we could just get some GOOD sticks in here to get their side of it! :P

~AoM~

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why are "some" good sticks bad losers ?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
Originally posted by Phil
Gentlemen

Been at it for over 8mths.

Well, if you think that high ranking players can actually hold their own 1 vs 1, you have long ways to go before reaching average :p
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »
I normally ignore the text buffer but I do catch it every once in a while.  Most times if someone whines at me on 200 I send them a thx or ty acknowleding that I heard the whine but taking it in a complimentary way.  That usually elicits a further response which I ignore.

I do send 's if I think I've just had a fun fight, win or lose and will return one if I see it, win or lose.

That said I rarely see a whine against me on 200 (maybe once a month if that) and I've only ever been PM'd once.  It surpises me because, while I spend plenty of time fighting "straight up"; honest and honerably, I also do all the "bad" things to people if it's to my advantage, I HO, vulch, cherry-pick, drag guys into ack, etc., etc., etc.  

Because I rarely see whines I remember most of them and therefor was surprised to read the following:

Originally posted by DamnedRen
Speaking for myself, win or lose, I feel what happened in the fight rests squarely on my shoulders. Knowing the "why and how" means I don't need to spend alot of time discussing it. If I get a kill then that part is over and done with. I've already forgotten about it and moved on to the next fight. If I lose a fight or die because of inattention to SA then I kick myself and grab another drink or p break while I climb out of a field to do battle again. Again that doesn't require alot of chatter on 200.

This obviously wasn't the case a few months ago when you flew straight at me, Spit vs Spit, lost the HO and went on a 200 tirade for the next 30 minutes.  It was the second most amount of 200 abuse against me that I've seen in all my time playung this game.  Not that I care but please don't come here preaching until you practice what you preach.  Oh... and ty.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 09:29:48 AM »
"Not that I care but please don't come here preaching until you practice what you preach."

i whole heartedly agree, Baldeagl.
some people spend too much time talking the talk on the forums and no where near enough time walking the walk in the arenas.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Why are "some" good sticks bad losers ?
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Well, if you think that high ranking players can actually hold their own 1 vs 1, you have long ways to go before reaching average :p

Whilst not considering myself one of the "Good sticks" I am above average and my high rank, due to game style makes me somewhat of a target:D

When it comes to salutes there's salutes:aok  and there's piss takers which makes me :furious.

If I shoot a guy down and he salutes me me I will try to salute back but I won't if still engaged in combat.  They may have all the time in the world whilst in the tower but DBT shouldn't be my reward for being polite.

If the guy is a numbers guys or has an obscure abbreviated name or a name mixed in with numbers then they can basically forget it.  They wanna get all fancy pants with spelling that's their business.  Mine isn't trawling through the roster to be polite.  

Sometimes I'm not aware that I have been saluted.  Text can roll quick when coordinating or if it's a busy weekend.  

NOW the BIGGY..... I often not always take offence to a salute being given to me by the guy that shot me down.  He's plain a simple going "hahaha".
You know when a guy is saluting a good fight and when he's taking the piss.  

Newbies make mistakes but saluting back a mistake won't teach them the correct etiquette so I'll tell them.  i.e a tempest HO'ed my HurriC the other day....he lost and saluted me:rolleyes: Irrespective of planes a HO in my opinion, is not worthy of a salute by either party.

If I fight 2,3 or 4 guys and give them a good run for their money and they salute me, usually 2 or 3 salutes from the guys in that fight, then I see no reason to salute back.  They are simply acknowledging my spirited performance and rightly so :D

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 09:49:35 AM »
lol LYNX.  What you wrote . . . . .  . what I wrote . . . . . . yeah, hmmm, I'm trying but cant see what the connection is :lol

Just in case, I ll translate what I said.  He siad he checks the score when he has been killed by someone good.  Then he sees the score of the "ace" and he assumes that because of the high rank the guy can actually fight.  He also thinks he is average.  Sooooo, given that the top ranking pilits area average at best, and that he gets killed by them, I would say that he is not average yet. lol.

Just messing with ya, but not wih the score HOs lol.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.