Author Topic: Saitek, X52 Setup Instructions  (Read 4800 times)

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
Saitek, X52 Setup Instructions
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »
Have you, or anyone esle, been able to set up the SST software with Vista? I lost the "magic mouse" and "magic keyboard" when I upgraded and I don't seem to be able to install the SST software again.

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
You may want to check out the "beta" drivers and software.  It, in my opinion, works much better than the standard CD software and drivers.  Many more options :)

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
Originally posted by iaqmya
You may want to check out the "beta" drivers and software.  It, in my opinion, works much better than the standard CD software and drivers.  Many more options :)

I agree, I happened upon the beta after constantly getting the BSOD (blue error screen to those that don't know) and tracking it down to the joystick drivers.  I used the beta and haven't had a problem since, and prefer the beta setup.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 01:06:57 AM »
Dang, I hope you still read this thread. I posted this at the Saitek Forums.

My first X-52 (and all X-45 sticks I had) I could map views for a flight sim (Aces High) to the hat switch on the stick, then map a button on the throttle to look straight up. That way, I could rotate the hat switch for one set of 8 views, then hit the button on the throttle and rotate the hat switch on the stick for 8 more views.

I've recently had to replace my original X-52 because it died. (Plays the Taps)

The replacement X-52....it no longer lets me have 2 sets of views as described above. It will let me use one *secondary* view at a time, but I have to release the button mapped to *look up*, move the hat switch on the stick, then hit the *look up* button again. It no longer lets me cycle through the second set of views while holding down the *look up* button on the throttle.

I took that stick back to Best Buy thinking it was as defective as a 3 dollar bill. Same issue with the new one. This issue shows up in Windows as well, so it's not an issue with the game.

Has something been changed with the X-52 stick so that this no longer works? I tryed to use the throttle hat and the same button for the *look up* command, and that actually works in Windows. Only problem is, Aces High only recognizes that hat as a 4 way hat and not 8 way.

I don't use the profiler software since Aces High has a very nice stick mapping solution and besides, this issue is also in Windows.

Ideas? Suggestions?

*edit* btw, I would love to use the rotary switches on the throttle to adjust elevator and aileron trim. Every time I try, I only get movement one way. For example, I map one of the rotary switches to elevator trim and I can only move the elevators up. The last time I tryed to figure this out, after mapping elevator trim, my elevators were stuck in the up position, nothing I did allowed me to trim them down.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:10:17 AM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 05:09:33 AM »
ahhh..... beta drivers did it for me. Thank you, gentlemen:aok

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
elfie,

use the sst program and you won't have any of those problems.  I know the idea of programming the functions looks daunting, but it's quite easy once you play with it a bit.

I only have the axis mapped in the game, every other button is programmed through SST.  Works like a charm, try it.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kami
elfie,

use the sst program and you won't have any of those problems.  I know the idea of programming the functions looks daunting, but it's quite easy once you play with it a bit.

I only have the axis mapped in the game, every other button is programmed through SST.  Works like a charm, try it.

Will that cure the problem in Windows as well?
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »
I just installed the SST program and this problem still persists in Windows:

The replacement X-52....it no longer lets me have 2 sets of views as described above. It will let me use one *secondary* view at a time, but I have to release the button mapped to *look up*, move the hat switch on the stick, then hit the *look up* button again. It no longer lets me cycle through the second set of views while holding down the *look up* button on the throttle.

This is my primary issue, I can continue using the second hat on the stick for trim tabs.

Also, I have never had to install the SST program in order to map a *look up* button on the throttle to get a second set of views while using the hat on the stick. I have used X-45 and X-52 sticks for some time now and never saw this issue before in the game or in Windows. Now 2 sticks in a row this is an issue.

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
I'll need to check mine out, but there is an option that lets you apply multiple key sequences at the same time, not just one at a time i.e.

your doing this:

8 down 8 up
5 down 5 up

and it should instead look like this:

8 down 5 down
5 up 8 up

just like you'd really do it on a keyboard.  I'll look in the program to see if they call a macro or something else.  Either way it works great for shift buttons

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:29 PM »
just so you know, I use the x52 and for my views i have

closest hat to thumb on j/s is my 360
hat on back of throttle is my up/down view

i hold up on throttle hat and then use j/s hat to see 360 up

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 07:58:33 PM »
Originally posted by Kami
just so you know, I use the x52 and for my views i have

closest hat to thumb on j/s is my 360
hat on back of throttle is my up/down view

i hold up on throttle hat and then use j/s hat to see 360 up

I got the forward/up view issue figured out, I was pressing 8 and 5 (as I should have) I just wasn't pressing them at the exact same time. (I don't think I was very clear in how I was doing that)

I think you are using the same hat that I used to use for my views, the one directly in line with the perpedicular center line on the stick. That is the one that I can no longer combine with another button (in my case, the Fire D button on the throttle) to get the second combination of views. ie...back/up, back left/up etc. Interesting that either one of the other 2 hats this works.

Like I said before, my first X-52 all 3 hats did work that way. I'm wondering if I just have a bad stick? Although it would be pretty wierd if I got 2 bad sticks in a row with the same problem.

And still no answer from the folks at Saitek on the Saitek boards.

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
Hey Elfie - Just picked up an X52 and had the 45 previously.  Sounds like I use the hats the exact same way you do and I also am having the same problem.  

The other problem I'm having is  I can't map the mouse control on the throttle at all.  All I can get it to do is move the cursor around with it.  On the old 45 I had it set to move my veiw forward and back.  

Third problem is the mode selector on the stick works like a button, I had some functions mapped to it and it worked..  Changed my screen resolution and now those controls are not working.

Going to mess with the software that came with it and see what happens as suggested by Kami
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil1
Hey Elfie - Just picked up an X52 and had the 45 previously.  Sounds like I use the hats the exact same way you do and I also am having the same problem.  

The other problem I'm having is  I can't map the mouse control on the throttle at all.  All I can get it to do is move the cursor around with it.  On the old 45 I had it set to move my veiw forward and back.  

Third problem is the mode selector on the stick works like a button, I had some functions mapped to it and it worked..  Changed my screen resolution and now those controls are not working.

Going to mess with the software that came with it and see what happens as suggested by Kami

Ya, use the SST software.  The mouse is regular for me in mode 1, but mode 1 w/ pinkie it allows padlock friendly, enemies, and switching.  You'd be surprised by just how much you can do with SST

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »
btw im really new to this game, but I used to play competition in another game and I have found that setup of controls is crucial.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil1

If you figure out how to get the main hat working with a button on the throttle for combo views let me know please. I still haven't figured that out.

Still no answer on the Saitek boards either, I might email their tech support and see what happens.