Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16411 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
well i gotta put out my two cents, i think you should be able to choose what you want to be ranked as...

i fly fighters so i wanna be ranked as fighter, if i fly something else it has no bearing on my rank, just stats, and of course stats from other then your ranking wont effect your rank. { does that make sense?}

i also think if the ENY is high, instead of not being able to fly a low ENY plane it should cost perks, if its already a perked plane make it tripple the cost ... at least you could fly it...if ya got the points...

hordeing suks, but thats what wins the wars...
personaly i dont care who wins the war in AH, i am here for the dogfight...the furball.... and the good company.

i dont care what "contry" you fly for, just by the fact that you injoy flying these old prop planes, makes you okay in my book.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
Originally posted by ink
i  dont care what "contry" you fly for, just by the fact that you injoy flying these old prop planes, makes you okay in my book.

Well said Ink.

Be it one MA or what we have now thats all that matters.  

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
I do not see what was wrong with the Aces High we had 4 years ago. No ENY bs, no multi-arenas, no score potatos, no dweebs running around ramming, no tiny maps played over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until we know the location of every sheep on the damn map.
 I agree HTC has screwed the pooch here. Like I have said before they turned this game into an aerial shooter. Which is fine by them because money is money and they are making plenty of it off their current creation.
 For the kids it's like Halo with wings, for the guys that have been around, we keep paying for this because, so far nothing has came out that is like AH II without all the BS. I bet if HTC had a little competition it woud light a fire under their respective asses. CT wouldn't still be four years into development, we would have it already.
 I work for a mod for BF2. http://www.pointofexistence.com/ We have guys on our team who can model, skin, texture and code an aircraft in a matter of days. Why is it that it takes months for HTC to do this? I am simply a Military Advisor and I do alittle sound work for the team. But how is it a bunch of guys that do this part time and for free can spit out things faster than a team whos only job is to work on a game? Hell we were so good we won mod of the year last year.
 Now I know BF2 is not AH. I understand that. My point is, things move far to slow over here. Changes are made to game play for no real reason. You are never going to be able to curb the horde. It has been part of game play since I started in this game. Just like fish, in AH there is safety in numbers. In an attempt to stop the natrual flow of the game HTC has neutered what this game is all about. I miss the days flying over tank town in Trinity, flying CAP. I miss being able to fly for over an hour without landing because of fuel.
 At the end of the day we will still end up paying our 15$ a month. Because this is the only thing out there that fills our intrests. HTC has no competition, they most likely never will. So they can do pretty much whatever they want. But I would like to point out that it is pretty sad when you have guys that have been here for a long time, who have been loyal are saying they are fed up with the way things are, that they want change and you guys do not even respond, that is the saddest part of it all.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »
Originally posted by BBBB
I bet if HTC had a little competition it woud light a fire under their respective asses. CT wouldn't still be four years into development, we would have it already.

Although the concept of a small staff evolving a game is fascinating in a way, I still think it creates problems with the amount of time it takes to develop a new branch-off of the game. I am purely speculating here as I have no experience or interest in game development, so please forgive my ignorance.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
But I would like to point out that it is pretty sad when you have guys that have been here for a long time, who have been loyal are saying they are fed up with the way things are, that they want change and you guys do not even respond, that is the saddest part of it all.

Yeah ... longevity playing an MMOG game give us better insight on how run a company such as HTC. Any one of us could do a better job than HiTech.

Any change that I have seen in my 5+ years has been a result of "what they want". I can't think of one change that was made in all these years that came just from HTC without some sort of input from this BBS.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
You need to look at the context in which people want a change.

Is that change wanted for the whole or is it just because someone had a bad day?

There's nothing wrong with the way things are.

Shawk has 135 hours in game as I write this and is ranked #1.

Why the heck would anyone want to change that?
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »
Originally posted by Blooz
You need to look at the context in which people want a change.

Is that change wanted for the whole or is it just because someone had a bad day?

There's nothing wrong with the way things are.

Shawk has 135 hours in game as I write this and is ranked #1.

Why the heck would anyone want to change that?

MUAHAHAHAHAHA! No offfence but 135 hours? That's 3.4 weeks of 8 hour days out of a month. :)

I have 20 hours or so. I  think I average about 15-20 hours. I guess I spend too much time in the TA.

Sky...do you do anything besides sit in front of your computer? I'm not trying to offend or anything but there is a world out there with blue sky and green grass and all.

Ren
The Damned

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
Combine Early and Mid arenas into one arena... hmmm... did I say that again :rolleyes:

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Re: Re: Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I can understand a noob going into to practice killing a CV or something, but I saw one squad with 3 guys in there that captured two undefended V bases within the 20  to 30 mins I was in that arena.

I see this alot and that is the main problem with the EW/MW Arenas.  I wil long in to check sound packs, gunsights, etc. (Yeah I could just go offline and try things out, but if I jump in the game I get the itch to fly and just do it that way.) and will see a few people on and I get the text message: "He, let's do some base capture's".  No I don't know if this was this guys best pick up line or not, but the fact of the matter is it was 2 Knights, 9 Rooks and 0 Bish.  He wanted the Bish bases for a reset... Gee, wonder why?  
As far a score/rank go, it is pretty bad when Squads of 2 or 3 guys (No offense 999 & TaterTot), can outrun full squads pushing 32 players that have some of the best 'overall' players in the game and have played way longer.  You have these squads pushing up GV ranks with 60-100 field captures!  Bombers damage points pushing 18 million.  Come on! WTF is that?  It is easy, go in the EW/MW arena's and start milking, pad your score and your squads and poof... your squad is ranked number 1.  While the other top 20 squads or so will walk all over you any day of the week because you don't get your score by shooting down anyone good.  You getti it hitting strat targets and undefended cv's all day, and vulch your buddy on the runway.  
SHawk has many good points to his post, and I would like to see maybe the EW/MW combined and have one LW (with big maps of course) :aok
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Nope.

ENY is there to prevent one side of both having numbers AND flying the monster planes at the same time. It may not be perfect (and suerly never will be), but generally it does a fine job at that.

Nobody ever believed that people would even sides just because of ENY, so it cannot fail at that. As you said, it's only an encouragement - not the main goal.

Isn't that what I said - It was an encouragement?

Main point is - EVERYTHING that has been tried in the quest for the holy "even sides" nirvana HAS FAILED.

You'd think by now someone might have realised, people aren't going to switch, at least not in enough numbers to make any differenece.

People make the analogy of using a team sport game to illustrate even sides, but they forget one important point -

You can guarentee that the players are there, actively taking part.

An example - few weeks ago early morning, there were 12 Bish on, and I think 6 each on the other two sides.
ENY was ridiculous.
Out of the 12 Bish only 5 or 6 were actaully doing anything, the rest were AFK, or had remained logged in to 'reserve' their place in the arena and had gone to sleep.

Thats where ENY falls down, it makes doesn't distinguish between active and non active players.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
I agree, I've always thought that was the biggest problem with eny, it need to be based on how many are in the air, not how many are on.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline shooter1cac

• Zinc Member
      • http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3707/sapplf6.jpg
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
Yup...the numbers cap is frustrating..especially when you see multiple players in one arena..and a handful sprinkled in the others. However as there seems to be no way to make everyone happy I figure that things will just continue to be the way they are. So I just go and make a ham samich and make airplane noises when I'm bringing it up for a bite.

However...my only idea for a fix in this is to bring up the minimum cap numbers in ALL the arenas. That way if everyone decides to play in one arena..so be it. If ya wanna go play in another have at it Billy Bob..knock yourself out. That's why they're there.

I still support the ham samich with airplane noises approach though.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2007, 04:17:31 PM »
Originally posted by detch01
Stampf - relaxed realism was an AirWarrior thing, it reduced the flight model to eliminate spins, blackouts, etc. IMO it was necessary in AW because the fm was not very good. In AH the fm is great and a relaxed realism arena would likely split the community. The upside is that the... well, there is no upside.

More accurately, Relaxed Realism was the 'original' game. Full Realism used a new more 'realistic' flight model. Funny thing, when FR started, Kesmai couldn't get people to use it. Then one Saturday afternoon, Moggy "accidently" tripped over a power cable and the RR arena went down!!! From then on, FR did just fine. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
Originally posted by SHawk
 The Early and Mid war arenas are nothing but a milking tool  for lamers.
If ya don't believe me, check it out sometime. Twice this week I've been sitting in there and seen 12 or 13 kills landed in a p-40b, only to check the roster and see 2 squaddies on opposite sides. Check stats on those 2 vs each other and sure enough, vulching each other in a jeep or something.
Got film if ya wanna see it.

SO LETS HEAR THOSE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that separate arenas should be established solely to address the number of players in an arena.  The rank/score of a player should not be carried into another arena.  Each arena should have it's own rank/score based on play in that particular arena.   If the same aircraft were available in all arenas, I believe a "player base" could be established in each arena based on the player's preference.  If the rank/score of the player was based on his play in that arena and would not be carried into another arena, then that player would most likely remain in his chosen arena.  Established Squads could chose their arenas of play so that all members of the squad would just logged onto that arena.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
wow i read this thread 4 years ago..