Author Topic: lag(again)  (Read 418 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
lag(again)
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »
My ping times to htc are good they average about 250ms yet im still dealing with lag. Running only 21 processes per task mgr. Still getting sawtooth pattern at baseline(varience in delay). Any suggestions.

p.s. Is limewire shareware.

Offline Domin

• Copper Member
Re: lag(again)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
Originally posted by df54
My ping times to htc are good they average about 250ms yet im still dealing with lag. Running only 21 processes per task mgr. Still getting sawtooth pattern at baseline(varience in delay). Any suggestions.

Limewire should be shareware (you can pay for a pro version as well). Do you mean does it contain spyware? Any way if you have it running during game play, that is probably one of your problems.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:35:53 PM by Domin »

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
lag(again)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »
250 ping isn't good.  I scowl when I see 250 ping by my name.  Any more than 300 and I stop playing, at least if it's a shooter.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
Any suggestions.

for every individual I have known to put limeware on their computers, when they tried to remove it, it left behind residual files, only true way to be sure it is all gone is to reformat!!!

I am not suggesting you do that, just letting you know that thes P2P programs will play HAVOC with your game connection. You should never be downloading P2P files/music mp3s, WMAs, any type of files while playing Aces High.

Also, if you was previously logged in on a P2P Program ( Limeware, WAREZP2P, BitTorrent, Napster, etc etc etc) Most times your internet connection is going to be so messed up with congestion that you should wait 4 HRs + until deciding to play Aces High, if you want a stable ping time/variance, game connect....

Read up about all this in the Tech Support Forum right below this Forum Room....

edit: also when playing Aces High, make sure any P2P program u may use, is completely blocked from internet access ( example setup a exception rule in your firewall, or make it where u can block it  from accessing the internet via any ports )

hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:05:31 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
lag(again)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »
most of the p2p , torrents, fileshare programs leave your connection under distress ...as for they hold your file residually for up to 48 hrs in some cases .

so now after using a p2p program your getting pinged like crazy and this ruins your connect . this applys to all the pc's on your network . if one uses it they all can suffer from it.

limewire is about the least abtrusive of the programs ive found .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
lag(again)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:09:10 AM »
My ping rates are normally in the 40-60 range.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
lag(again)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:28:32 AM »
Just to add...

Sawtooth means something is firing off in the background of your computer.

Couple things that might help...

1) FSAutoStart.  It launches AH for you, stops/restarts any services that you don't need while playing AH, and can defrag your memory.  Great app.  It was designed for flight sims.  AND it's free.

2) HijackThis.  Ok, HJT can be dangerous, so be super careful when using it.  HJT will show you what all is set to launch and run in the background when you start your computer.  Best thing to do with HJT is after you run it, if you do not know what the instance is, Google it.  See if it something you want running the in background all the time, and keep/disable it.  

Example...  MSOffice runs in the background.  You dont' really NEED it always running the background.  By disablin' it, you can still launch any MSOffice app, but it will take a second (ish) longer to load.

I would also recom. downloading Spybot Search and Destroy (free) and AdAware (also free) and probably one more and do some scans.  Most anti-spyware programs only find SOME of the spyware.  It takes 3 (or more) of 'em to do a full scan on your system.

Good Luck!!
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »

It sounds like you need to clean up your system.  21 processes is a lot.  Here's what i do on a regular basis:

1.  Run disc clean-up.  Delete everything identified.  
2.  Run scan-disc (files and folders only)
3.  Go to your windows/temp folder and delete everyhing inside it.
4.  Open your web browser, hit tools, options, internet options and clear cookies and file cache.
5.  Update your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and run both.  Delete any unwanted programs identified.
6.  Run disc de-frag on all hard drives.
7.  Go to start/run, type in msconfig and hit enter.  Select the start menu tab.  Turn off automatic scanning and updating of any anti-spyware/anti-virus/anti-adware programs on your system.  From now on you'll have to manually update them and run them on a periodic basis (monthly for me).  Leave your firewall running.  Also check for and turn off other programs that you can identify that are automatically loading in the start menu (be sure you know what you're turning off before you do, don't turn off any system files).

If you do this monthly you'll have a clean smooth running system.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
lag(again)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:04:41 AM »
if you have a firewall...that could be trying to block AHII i learned that...try turning it down some and limewire only cuts into AHII if your downloading a heck of a lot at once
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
lag(again)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »
Originally posted by trigger2
limewire only cuts into AHII if your downloading a heck of a lot at once

I suggest you newer players read up on HTC's ( Skuzzy's thoughts & testing  of connection to the game )

Originally posted by Skuzzy
KAZAA AND FILE SHARING PROGRAMS

If you run any file sharing program, you might as well get use to the fact that you will never have a decent connection to the servers.
Turning off those programs after they have been running for any period of time at all does not stop the users on the Internet from pounding on your connection.
This will cause lost packets, switches from UDP to TCP, and just generally lousy connections to the servers.
My testing shows, that after the program has been running longer than 3 hours, it takes over 24 hours for your Internet connection to return to normal.

can find the whole thread at the below link:
Internet Connection Hints/Tips  by Skuzzy
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68316
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:21:57 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC