Author Topic: Knight Rook or Bish  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 09:08:06 AM »
Knights have the most individualistic players (despite having some very successful squads) which leads to the knits almost never really working together and almost never winning a reset--glimmers of hope are seen, but quickly get dashed much of the time.

OMG! I have never seen it put so well! I've said the same thing for a long time (being a Knit for a while I can say it with some authority), but have never yet found such perfect prose to state it!

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 09:09:12 AM »
Originally posted by redman555
well us knights dont really work well together... some ppl dont want to admit it but, atleast bish and rooks can put a mission together with more than 5 ppl, i rarely see a big goob knight mission

I'd be interested to see the squad dispersion between countries, that might indicate why knights are less able to work as a group.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 09:19:28 AM »
I have long studied the "birds of a feather flock together" phenomena in AH. Rather than write a lengthy essay on it, I will sum it up for you...

Bish Mentality: One toolshed is worth 1,000 deaths. Bish will suicide themselves in a frenzy of mindless HO'ing or pork n 'augering if it means even the tiniest hope of taking a field. There is nothing sacred to a Bish when it comes to landgrabbing, the ends justify the means. From a fighter pilot's perspective I find Bish have a much lower skill quotient in general than the other two countries.There are exceptions but if I see a swarm of HO'ing Lgay7's and Spit16s spiral diving after a wingless fuselage, I don't have to look at their icon to know they're Bish..

Knight Mentality: Knights really like to establish CAP and farm kills, not necessarily by design. A distinct lack of bomber pilots and people who generally fly heavy means long periods of vulching. Knights will tend to establish CAP over a field and vulch patiently for hours while their lone buff dude flies back and forth taking town down and fetching troops. From a fighter pilot's perspective Knights have a broad spectrum of skill levels of relatively equal proportion, from the guy who can only get kills vulching to the steeley eyed predators.

Rook Mentality: Rooks tend to be all about the furball. Base taking is completely secondary to the furball. Generally, Rooks will dogpile a good furball until the point their numbers create a situation where taking the enemy's base at the other side is the only thing left to do, so they do it. Rooks therefore tend to end up gang-banging alot, because they are individually drawn compulsively to the largest concentration of aircraft on the map. From a fighter pilot's perspective Rooks have a much higher proportion of the category I refer to as the predator, usually experienced fighter pilots who do alot of killing and relatively little dying, so tend to fly higher than average.

Zazen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:22:10 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
Here comes some hard data:

Tour 88 (the last month):

All models have 245047 Kills of Knights.
All models have 227246 Deaths by Knights

Knight K/D 0.93

All models have 259590 Kills of Bishops
All models have 229410 Deaths by Bishops

Bishop K/D 0.88

All models have 224253 Kills of Rooks
All models have 272234 Deaths by Rooks

Rook K/D 1.21

The interpretation is up to you ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
Knits:

Fight the fight. Look for a good fight. Doesn't matter if it's over a field or not. Can't take a field 19 times out of 20. Probably the best cross-section of pilots.

Bish:

Usually competent. Often more willing to fight (more aggressive) than rook. Will fight even at disadvantage, but usually steamrolls with hordes across multiple bases.

Rook:

Mindless newbies will endlessly approach at 25k to an airfield, drop bombs on it then die instantly (purposefully or not) or run like a scalded cat for 10 sectors rather than fight. Often fighters will come in with 10-15k alt advantage, make 1 pass then hit the deck (see scalded cat comment). There ARE some good pilots, but the vast majority don't want to fight. "Clog the gun barrels with corpses" is their best strategy.

P.S. As a knit, given the choice I'd rather fight a bish pilot. They actually want a fight, and will give me one. They might actually shoot me down too. If I fight rooks it's usually Marianas Turkey shoot vs a giant sea of red dots (and hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut, so they could shoot me down, but not with the level of skill a bish shows). Mind you that's all in a very general way, not specific to individual pilots.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:35:38 AM by Krusty »

storch

Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
I think all are about the same.  I just like killing BoPs

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
Originally posted by culero
Knights = Az (so, they suck)
Bish = Bz (so, they suck and swallow)
Rooks = Cz (they rool your sheep!)

Knits Bz
Bish Az
Rooks Cz

Most sides are roughly the same.  The BIG diff. you will find is time of day.  Big diff. from U.S. moring and U.S. prime time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:53:22 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 09:51:59 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
8+7 = 15

15+12 = 27

31 - 27 = 4

;)

MUAHAHAHAHA! Good one!!!

Seeing as how the flt sims haven't been on for 27 years and I'm not 31 it has as much value as trying to choose a side. IMHO, choose a side, fly with those folks, make friends and enjoy the experience, if you get the trots try another country,...lessee, fly with those folks, make friends, etc. Before you know it you'll have a lot of friends just about everywhere you look in the arenas.

It's amazing to see how some squads are so narrow minded that if one of their own flies in another country for training or to wing with a friend that it's considered the worst blasphemy, worthy of ex-communication from the squad. I hate to say it but this is supposed to be fun not your lifes endeavor.

Ren
The Thinking Out Loud Group for the Lazy

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Here comes some hard data:

Tour 88 (the last month):

All models have 245047 Kills of Knights.
All models have 227246 Deaths by Knights

Knight K/D 0.93

All models have 259590 Kills of Bishops
All models have 229410 Deaths by Bishops

Bishop K/D 0.88

All models have 224253 Kills of Rooks
All models have 272234 Deaths by Rooks

Rook K/D 1.21

The interpretation is up to you ;)

Great stuff, take a look at similiar stat driven analysis I did several years ago, notice how the data is almost identical...

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107685

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125694

The data is almost a mirror image, past and present. To have such unique data be so consistant over the years is proof that "Birds of a feather flock together". All countries are not the same, they conduct themselves differently, from the individual level to the group level.

Zazen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:59:08 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 10:29:16 AM »
As a Bish here's my perspective:

Knights:  More noobs than the other 2 countries, thus kills come easier against the Knights.  Knights also have a few veteran milk-runners who, when cornered, don't live up to their standings (rank).  Knights have a decided propensity to fight Bish, probably because Bish fight Knights because they are easier to kill than Rooks.  Knights rarely capture bases and when they do they lose them back quickly.

Rooks:  Grab the O2 mask to fight these guys.  Just when you thought 20K was safe you'll meet them at 22-23K.  If their not in the stratosphere they are mired in the muck furballing mindlessly away.  Rooks have more skilled pilots than Knights or Bish and are occasionally able to organize and steamroll fields as Bish and Knights pound away on each other, oblivious to the Rooks.

Bish:  Bish have the fewest skilled pilots but compensate with communication and numbers.  Bish communicate/coordinate well in both base capture mode and in a furball.  A few leadership types plan mass strikes on enemy targets and comfort is often found among the many.  To their detriment, their primary agenda of base captures/re-sets is often stalled as inexperienced players seeking safety rely on defensive tactics.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
MUAHAHAHAHA! Good one!!!

I hate to say it but this is supposed to be fun not your lifes endeavor.

Excuse me but who are you to say what it is "supposed to be" you are allowed to say what it is for you and no more.  If people want to play to win who are you to say thats not what its about.

:mad: :furious :p :cool: ;) :) :t
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Well, I would love to belong to one country and serve it loyaly.  However, the BK high command does not allow me to be a loyal citizen to any country.  So, I guess, I am just another trator but it is not my fault.

I am just following orders :confused:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
The grass is always greener...

We are all the same as teams. We all have our generals, we have our aces who care little for gameplay, we have our squeakers, and buttholes, and we have buds who if they were your neighbor, you'd be best of friends.

Well said Filth!  And you can bring the pizza!

I don't care for any one specific country and it helps to rotate to get a handle on everything going on...
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

storch

Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Well, I would love to belong to one country and serve it loyaly.  However, the BK high command does not allow me to be a loyal citizen to any country.  So, I guess, I am just another trator but it is not my fault.

I am just following orders :confused:
:rofl

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
i am not loyal to any particular chess piece. but the same can be said about all three. a bunch of players who aren't better then me. Basically i pwn in all shades of chess piece. That mostly has to do with me being awsome. Since there are only 2 BKs on at a time i try to fly with those BKs. that is all thanks for your time, it was your pleasure. dud out :aok