Author Topic: where do you guys find info?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
where do you guys find info?
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:49:16 PM »
I'd like to try my hand at skinning. I don't have the time to build maps which is what I'd rather do to help out, but oh well.

Where do you guys find information on planes? I don't have a "favorite" plane, or squad, and the extent of the info I have on hand "Shaw's" book on fighter combat!  :D

Should I get one that looks good enough to submit, I'd like to be able to back it up with some info, of course knowing what your trying to build BEFORE you try to build it is always a big help too :D

So any links avalible?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
First, pick a plane. Or find an image or profile or SOMEthing you want to skin.

There's just too much out there to say "get this and you're set".

Once you've narrowed it down (say, a red-tailed Ki-61) then look for info on the Ki-61 and the unit that had the red tail you like, or go to the library. My library has a small aviation section, but it's had a few gems in it, as far as some planes go. War-time photos are the best resources, even if only in black and white. Those are not always available, however.

All I can suggest is narrow it down, THEN look for research, on the Internet and in books. Oh, and just because you find a drawing of it online, doesn't mean that the drawing is accurate :aok Multiple sources is better!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »
First thing I did was to look at the skins download page to get an idea of which planes have room for new skins. This lead me to F4u's, P47's, C202, c205 and a yak. Everything else has a pretty good group already.

Started looking for F4us, and they are pretty much all the same, but even then there are not many pictures I could find. How many 202's, 205, and yaks were there? I'm thinking I'm not likely to find much info on those after the hours I spent looking for hogs. Haven't looked at P47 yet.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »
Books.  I have an extensive aviation library though I just realized again tonight how little information I have on Japanese AC, other than a couple Army and Navy aircraft of the aces books.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 08:05:19 PM »
as said, choose a plane you WANT to skin, then google is your friend. Google is your BEST friend. Along with books. Photo's, newspaper clippings anything you can get your hands on. Ive recently done a 109E skin, alll I had to go on was two pictures, fortunatly both Contemporary sources. Then little things on your skin that arent easily seen in the photo or sources youve got, I just looked at relitivly close sources. The photo's I had didnt show the nose art very well, but I had another full page picture of a completely differant 109F, but with the same nose art. Copy, and use on 109E. Works a treat. But first things first, find one that strikes your fancy, then CHECK IF ITS BEEN DONE BEFORE. Then start researching. And good luck with it, have fun! :aok
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: where do you guys find info?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
I'd like to try my hand at skinning. I don't have the time to build maps which is what I'd rather do to help out, but oh well.

Where do you guys find information on planes? I don't have a "favorite" plane, or squad, and the extent of the info I have on hand "Shaw's" book on fighter combat!  :D

Should I get one that looks good enough to submit, I'd like to be able to back it up with some info, of course knowing what your trying to build BEFORE you try to build it is always a big help too :D

So any links avalible?

Ask ya bum.  I haven't built up this library of mine over the past 30 years to let it go to waste :)

That's how I get my fun on the skins forum.  I can't do skins to save my life, but I can sure help with info most times.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Re: Re: where do you guys find info?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:55:56 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Ask ya bum.  I haven't built up this library of mine over the past 30 years to let it go to waste :)

That's how I get my fun on the skins forum.  I can't do skins to save my life, but I can sure help with info most times.

Well, in that case Da, I'll take you up on that offer. In my resource, which is limited, I found a profile of a 109F of III /JG 2, apparantly belonging to Hpm Assai Kahn. However searches on google revealed nothing. Can you help? Its got what looks like a cream spinner, with a red nose and rudder. A very striking picture. Any help?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »
Sorry Dan:rolleyes:

Well after hunting for a few hours again last night I think I found one I wanted to give a try.

P47N "baby dumpling"
463rd FS, 507th FG, USAAF
710 (44-88366)

It was flown by Capt.James Butler Jr. Iwo Jima. Butler flew this aircraft on the 11 August 1945 mission to Japan, the last offensive mission of World War II

You can see a picture HERE

Of course, its a metal skin so I'm sure I'm going to give myself some extra trouble with that.

On the other hand Dan, if you got a bunch of info on something you'd think might be cool to try, in a plane that has some spaces left for a new skin, I'm open to suggestions!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
Well after hunting for a few hours again last night I think I found one I wanted to give a try.

P47N "baby dumpling"
463rd FS, 507th FG, USAAF
710 (44-88366)

You can see a picture HERE

Not that I mean to be insensitive, but don't we already have a P-47N with black and yellow checerks all over the tail?

(not that we can't have 2, I guess)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Not that I mean to be insensitive, but don't we already have a P-47N with black and yellow checerks all over the tail?

(not that we can't have 2, I guess)

SEE !!! I CAN'T PICK ONE !!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME !!!!  :D

Actually, I was just going by the ID's used on the web page, and forgot to check this one, Greebo already did it, and as a "first one" I don't think I'm going to do a better job than he did :)

Back to the research !

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
Is this your First ever skin? Or first one you're hoping to submit?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
First ever, but there is that hope it will come out well enough to submit.

While I'm not a "graphics artist" I do know my way around a couple of art programs, "photoshop, paintshop pro, flash, so I'm confident I can make something half decent.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
Okay, first skin ever, then narrow your plane selection to "remodeled" skins.... Only the newer planes that have been revamped with the nice looking cockpits etc.

The way the bitmaps break down, it's much much easier than the older skins. Better to learn on, too!

The P-47N has a fairly limited selection of colors to choose from. Just make sure your plane is different (different codes, nose art, etc) and proceed creating a "similar but different" skin. Or choose another plane to skin, and go back to the 47N later (*shrug*). Whatever works :aok

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: where do you guys find info?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

What he said, I likewise have been collecting books for 20+ years and am always glad to assist Dan if he needs some backup.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »
Well, fugative, in that case what I did was I just took any old skin that I liked, or anything that I thought would be cool. I think my first skin ever was a 1950's Air Cheif staff C47. No use in the game, but let me get to know the skin.  The next one was a Bare metal Stuka. Pre war. Another one I did was pure fake, I tried to remake the serenity ship on a JU88. Never worked, but was still another skin. Finally I tried my hand at a hurri 1 to be submitted. I failed, so Krusty took over, its now ingame. Ive since done a 109E and submitted it, hoping it will make it in game. I found sticking to the War period hard for a first ever skin. Just my idea though