Author Topic: Sound and speed variance...  (Read 495 times)

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
Sound and speed variance...
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
I come from flying Warbirds. *yes I know AH is better*

I was having some issues with flight models and was getting some help in the Training arena when I suddenly realized (with help from a squaddie) that I couldn't tell how fast I was going without looking at the speed indicator. Duh!

In warbirds, I could tell while manuvering my basic Energy state based upon the speed and sound of the engine(and sometimes associated sounds). However, in Aces High, the engine doesn't speed up and the pitch doesn't become a high squeeling whine.

Is there any way to change this? On my end that is. Change a sound file or something to simulate the added speed of a dive, or the sluggishness of the engine as I climb and it struggles to keep up?

Thanks in advance!
Rolling Thunder

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:50:01 AM »
Turn engine sound down to 50% or less.

Turn wind up a bit. The clues are still there you just have to lose the engine sound before you hear them.

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:39:34 AM »
I have found that different sound packs(which you can download) give you a more "realistic" speed sound(my opinion only) I recently loaded a new pack after I had to download the game on a new computer and I felt like I was always going slow. I got used to it and am in the process of making a compilation of all the sounds I like the most. The wookie stall warning will always be the staple of any sounds I use though....But I wanna make it my "check six" sound. I have Rangers "check six" and it's creepy.
Lagger

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
Lagger if you could point me in the direction of which sound packs had engine sounds that speed up and slowed down depending on aircraft speed, i'd be eternally grateful.

Turning the engine down and wind up, I did notice a very slight difference. But what I was looking for was the speed of the engine to clue me in as to how fast I was going.

One person suggested that I turn my engine down to 6% (trainer, thanks for the tip too) but it's just really eerie and I rather prefer to hear the engine revving up, as opposed to ...........silence, unless i'm diving etc.

Thanks for replying guys.
Rolling Thunder

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
Like I said Chapel, it is my opinion on the soundpacks. I've used Frudas, Rangers, and Mitsu's packs....and not one of them will change the engine sound when the speed increases. They do however have different sounds for the wind on the canopy. I wish I could help you more, but I never flew Warbirds(yeah I'll always be a noob). You can check out the soundpacks in the "custom sounds and skins" on this here wonderful BB.
Lagger

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
Incidentally, why in the world would the sound change with speed?

The engine pitch already changes with throttle and rpm setting.

The speed where the air pressure really pushes the props to raise RPM higher than regulated revolutions is something like over 450mph, and at these speed you do hear a slight increase in engine pitch as the revolutions go over the initial CSU setting - but it's not as if the RPMs are doing 1000 over normal setting.

Besides, there's no doppler in works when you're sitting in the cockpit.

So why would be there any reason for the sound of the engine to change?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 06:37:22 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Incidentally, why in the world would the sound change with speed?

The engine pitch already changes with throttle and rpm setting.

The speed where the air pressure really pushes the props to raise RPM higher than regulated revolutions is something like over 450mph, and at these speed you do hear a slight increase in engine pitch as the revolutions go over the initial CSU setting - but it's not as if the RPMs are doing 1000 over normal setting.

Besides, there's no doppler in works when you're sitting in the cockpit.

So why would be there any reason for the sound of the engine to change?

Also, depending on your alt, the engine does change pitch.  Many (dunno, prob. most/all) planes in Aces High will change pitch at diff. alt's.  Listen to a PonyD engine sounds as you grab from 18k to 22k.

I've noticed it on several planes.  (spit 8 maybe?)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
get a sound pack.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 09:14:56 PM »
Which sound pack do people like?
Rolling Thunder

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
High pitch when diving etc....
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:22:36 AM »
Hey Chapel !

I asked the same question months ago !
What I wanted was the high pitch sound of the over rev engine when diving....
Best exmaple that I could give was listening to the real war documentaries where u see and hear the planes diving....
I use the MITSUS sound pack. Starting up the Spit is really sharp !!

Good luck !

Phil
OPP7755

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Re: High pitch when diving etc....
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:35 AM »
Originally posted by Phil
Best exmaple that I could give was listening to the real war documentaries where u see and hear the planes diving...

You know those sounds are added in?  The original footage had no sound.  The reason they always put in a high-pitched noise in footage of diving airplanes is because that's what people on the ground hear, largely because of Doppler effect.  As Kweassa pointed out, the speeds at which over-revolving starts are rather high, so just because an airplane is diving doesn't mean that it should be screaming (unless you're on the ground).

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
I've used waffles sound pack for years. I don't know if it's still available. I hear Mitsu's is fine but just haven't used them so can't comment on them.

Hope this helps.