Author Topic: Gun crazy Swiss  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »
How can I take you seriously when you post a link to a site that proves the Japanese are allowed to own guns? :lol

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Look at the restrictions on them and the effort required to obtain. I haven't looked up stats on ownership in either Japan or Australia but I'd bet they are both extremely low due to the effective ban.

LOL Are you serious?! They have to attend one lecture and one safety course before buying their first gun. Their gun regulations are simpler than most countries car license regulations. Are you suggesting that we are not allowed to have cars in Norway just because getting a car license is a 6 month affair of safety courses, tests and red tape? :lol

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »
Wow, amazing what you can find with google.

C. Firearms and suicide
In Belgium 7 people commit suicide every day.
There are 24 suicides per 100.000 inhabitants.
This suicide figure is amongst the highest in the world, and EG 2,4 times higher than the
number of suicides in the USA (where there are at least 4 times more firearms).

http://home.scarlet.be/guncrime/wapenbezitcriminaliteitEnglish.pdf

Maybe they should ban those waffles? ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
And what has that got to do with you being completely out of touch with reality with regard to "gun bans" in Europe, Japan and Australia?

Very poorly executed bait and switch: F-

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
And what has that got to do with you being completely out of touch with reality with regard to "gun bans" in Europe, Japan and Australia?

Very poorly executed bait and switch: F-

Bait and switch huh? You took my question to be about Europe which it was not specificially. You want to claim that Japan and australia haven't effectively banned private ownership of guns then we just don't have any common ground about which to discuss this subject. You want to pursue this antagonistically you'll have to engage someone else because I'm not up to it, sorry.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »
As of July 2006 there were 2,165,170 registered firearms in private ownership in Australia. That's one firearm for every 10 citizens. One in every 20 adult Australian citizens is a gun owner.

Reality check Mr. Iron … reality check.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
Holy wall of text Viking..  All you had to quote from it is this sentence:
It means we cannot own guns for defense purpose.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Your point?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
Self-defense is the reason for owning guns that applies to everyone, not just sports or leisure.  Self-defense is a more essential right than the right to plink tin targets or strutting your stuff in exchange for a token.

The point is that guns are entrusted to people for those things, but not to protect their lives. That's ironic, borderline absurd in a very fundamental way.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
Your point?

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

every one has the right to self defense, even if their govt says no.

anything else is gun baning.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Self-defense is the reason for owning guns that applies to everyone, not just sports or leisure.  Self-defense is a more essential right than the right to plink tin targets or strutting your stuff in exchange for a token.

The point is that guns are entrusted to people for those things, but not to protect their lives. That's ironic, borderline absurd in a very fundamental way.

While I agree with you in most respects that everyone should be allowed to own guns (being a gun owner myself) I disagree that the Japanese and Australians are “not allowed to own guns”. They clearly are allowed to own guns. I will however agree that their restrictions on gun ownership is unnecessarily strict and counter to my sense of freedom. Gun ban means just that … a ban. To my knowledge there are no western or democratic countries that have banned private gun ownership.

If AKiron had used a different term say “ridiculously strict gun control” I would have agreed with him, but instead he insisted on exaggerating and claiming that the populations of Japan and Australia did not have any guns and were defenseless. While I agree that they are defenseless I agree for a different reason: Even an armed population cannot stand against a modern army. However if you break into a house in Australia you run a 1 in 20 odds of the owner having a gun. I wouldn’t like those odds if I was a burglar.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

every one has the right to self defense, even if their govt says no.

anything else is gun baning.

Nope. Anything else in gun control. Gun banning is just that … a ban on guns, meaning no guns are allowed to be owned for any reason. Get your definitions right.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:36:23 PM by Viking »

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2007, 09:27:25 PM »
We haven't had a gun control debate around here lately.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 01:48:19 AM »
The free swiss, you know, the ones who have every place filled with guns..

They're so free that for example car racing is banned in that country totally. That's right, banned.

That's why many formula1 drivers live there as a taxhaven. Their profession is against swiss law so by law they can't be taxed for their profession. They do the job always out of country so the government doesn't mess with them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gun crazy Swiss
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 04:43:07 AM »
The motor-racing ban in Switzerland was lifted a week ago. There's speculation of F1 races being held there now.