Author Topic: D-Day  (Read 460 times)

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
D-Day
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »
thank you to one hell of a tuff generation..

Offline PanzerIV

• Nickel Member
      • http://17thawsquad.aowc.net/main.asp
D-Day
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »
to the brave soldiers who fought on June 6 1944, not just American but British and Canadian also. Without their sacrifice WW2 would have been much longer and difficult for the Allies.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
D-Day
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 02:33:12 AM »
My Dad went ashore D-Day +3 as fwd radio observer for Patton's 3rd (yanno .. I dont even know what artillery battalion he was part of :(
.. told me of a tank that is still there, in a ditch, with an impromptu bridge built over the top of it.

Said it's still there, bridge an all, when he went back for the 50th anniversary. He checked.

I wish he had lived long enough to see Saving Private Ryan ..I wonder what he would have thought of the opening scenes..
.. we used to enjoy watchin 'Combat' starring Vic Morrow ..I listened when he picked apart what they did wrong .. it wasnt much :)

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
D-Day
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »
I own a medical transport van company in AZ and we  provide transport for hospice patients.  Nary a week goes by where I don't drive an WWII vet on the last ride of his life. I have spent hours with these gents, fighter pilots, bomber pilots, boots on Tarawa, G-canal, Omaha, Iwo... you name it.  I get goosebumps sometimes when  I talk to them and they are always willing to share an anecdote or two.

Steve

storch

D-Day
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 06:19:38 AM »
GE, patton didn't have the third army until 1 Aug 44.