Author Topic: Wing-man leader tactics  (Read 415 times)

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
Wing-man leader tactics
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:50:48 AM »
Hello.  Oogly49 speaking.  

Yesterday I saw about a dozen pairs of wing-men.  Who devised evil plans on the spot and flew in perfect formation untill combat.  Their manuevers were so complex that you couldn't think they were possible.

They all made dog-fighting look easy.  I even saw a wing-man and his leader take on 5 planes.  They were 109's... but I didn't get close enough to see.  I think they won though.

Anyway... Yesterday after seeing this, I decided I wanted a wing-man.  Maybe even multiple wing-men.  However... this one guy said that if I didn't know any tactics than I wouldn't have much luck finding one.  

After I got myself into alot of dog-fighting trouble the other day.  That same player asked me if I had situational awareness.  I said "Well if situation awareness counts that I was just aware I was chasing a N1k with 2 p51's on my tail along with an LA-7 coming at me from the side, while another N1k was divebombing me...  then yea, I have situational awareness."  His reply was simple.  "OK,  but did you notice the Yak-9U coming at you from below?  He's the one who SHOT you down."  

Of course... I did not notice that yak below.  But anyway, I just need wing-man training... that's it.

I would like to know if anybody can train me to be elegable to have a wing-man.  I've always wanted one.
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Wing-man leader tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Wingman tactics are pretty simple to develop once you find someone who thinks and flies like you do.

When to fly straight, when to act as bait.  Keeping an overall lookout for yourself, your wingman and the enemy.

Teamwork is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game in my opinion and I hope you find someone you can trust, as if your cartoon life depended on them.

My boy Kazaa and myself have taken on lots of enemy cons before and come out of the watermelon smellin of roses.  I hope you can find someone too.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Find a Squad that uses wing formation tatics
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »
There are lots of Squads out there that use wingname tatics and then there are a few squads that actually orginize flights into wing elements and always fight as pairs.  

113th Lucky Strikes is a P38 only squad that is orginized is such a way.

Check out there web site http://www.113thluckystrikes.com
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Wing-man leader tactics
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »
This was another topic covered in the TA at the end of April beginning of May.
Check the Trainers calendar to see what they are covering in the future.
http://www.netaces.org/calendar/ahtacalendar.php?

I believe its also covered in 'In Pursuit' available in .pdf format.
To find it do a search of pdf and 'In Pursuit'
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
Wing-man leader tactics
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your comments.
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Wing-man leader tactics
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »
You don't need to become skilled to a certain level before being trained or accepted as a wingman.

You just need to find a "buddy" to fly with.  It helps if that person flies similar planes as you, in a similar style, and is a "team player".  I will say that you BOTH need to have VOX.  Typing comm is much more difficult.  At some point you will want to find a few people you recognize, and latch onto them.  Joining a squad will also give you access to more friends and information.

Your skill level will improve faster with a partner.  Exponentially so if that partner is already "skilled".  You learn by getting into bad places, and living.  You don't learn by quickly dying, and then flying back.  Not at first anyway.

It sounds like your SA is off to a pretty good start.  It will get better.  Not right away.  I'd add things like- Number of friendlies near you, their plane type (try ctrl-I, but BE SURE to put it back to "normal" when you are done.  NOT "No Icons", hehe), their basic altitude / E-state, and even their basic level of skill and willingness to help.  Are they heavy if in fighters?  Or looking to fight?  Are you loaded with enough fuel to fight? Ammo?  Too much fuel?

Enemy planes- same thing.  You can get a rough idea as to the skill level by the way they fly, but for a long time yet, it will be too late at that point to do you any good.  You can figure out which enemy pilots in particular, and what plane they're flying if you can decifer the chnl 200 bantor.

Where is your field? Alt?  Enemy field? Alt?  How far to each? Basic idea of enemy vs friendly #'s in sector.  Where is the basic fight in relation to the bases?  Fighting in the middle is going to get you swarmed.  Hunting on the edges is more productive, and far less hazardous.  (Early man figured this one out when hunting large herding animals.  It still works.  Bison look harmless enough- until you poke one with a pointy stick.)  Is this a furball?  Or a capture attempt?

SA starts close to you.  Even from inside the cockpit, and then goes outward.  The closest stuff matters most, but the stuff you can't see can still get you killed.  In my opinion, SA is the most important thing you have going for you.  It will take years to really develop, and this is a long list.  You won't get it all right away, I'm just telling you what is going through my head constantly, almost casually, when I'm flying...

If you see me in the MA, just holler.  I'll let you wing up with me for a while if you want.  Forewarning- you can fly anything you want, but I only fly the F4U's.  I also switch country I fly for, depending on what the numbers are and where the fights are.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Wing-man leader tactics
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »
To me the real key to wingman flying is familiarity. Being able to take one snap look at the situation, and guess correctly that my wing is going to

A do this, then
B head here, or
C try for a shot on this plane then engage that plane.

Allows me to better guess how much time I have to kill MY target before I need to watch his 6. Lets me better judge how successfull he's going to be on his first attack. After all if your going up against 3 cons if one of you can score early that dramaticly changes the odds.

Anyway you choose to describe it, its gained by flying again and again with the same person/people. This is one of the biggest reasons that people end up joining squadrons.

Thats not to say that you can't go to the TA and recruit 1  or more like minded individuals and start making that experience. 2 sets of eyes are always better than 1.

btw right behind familiarity, is good communication skills.
Keeping vox to a minimum, yet accurately giving the needed info.

I used to be able to tell when to break just by the tone of my CO daddog's voice. It would be like ghosth 6................ghosth Check 6......................GHOSTh BREAK at which point of course I'd chop throttle and break hard. :)