Author Topic: Eureka!! Aces High Typhoon IB Nose art WWII history found!!  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
Eureka!! Aces High Typhoon IB Nose art WWII history found!!
« on: March 20, 2000, 10:27:00 AM »

Hello all,

When I first saw the nose art on the Typhoon, I thought: “I hope Superfy takes his initials off.”  Well, I just bought Typhoon and Tempest Aces of World War 2 by Osprey Aviation and wouldn’t ya know, the paint scheme and Nose art are there.

For those who are interested, here is some historical facts about the plane and the pilot:

“Typhoon Mk IB PD521 of Wg Cdr  J. R. Baldwin
OC No. 146 Wing
Antwerp, November 1944”

“Johnny Baldwin flew several Typhoons marked with his initials, the first as Wing Commander flying No. 146 Wing on 22 June 1944.  When the Wing moved to France in July he Flew ‘JBI’  and ‘ JBII’, equipped for bombs and rockets respectively.  The latter was MN934 until 13 August, when it was crash landed following flak damage – the serial of its next two replacements is not known, but the fourth ‘JB II’ was PD521, flown between 22 September and 11 October, when Baldwin was posted ‘on rest’. PD521 went on to serve with Nos 257 and 266 Sqns, finishing the war with the latter unit as ‘ZH-Z’.  It was scrapped at No 51 MU in August 1946.” Copyright to Osprey Publications.

Enjoy!

Gorf

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
Good job Gorf!
BTW, is the spinner black? The colour plate I've seen of "JG" had the spinner a very light pink. Almost white.
I've not seen a pic of "JB II" at all.

-Westy

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
Westy,

The spinner is supposed to be black for this the JBII.  However, white nose was very common on the Typhoons.

Gorf

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2000, 10:03:00 AM »
Gorf, that was same the reference I used for the nose art.  I told Pyro that I wasn't going to put the pink fairy nose on there just because it's his favorite color.    

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"Ain't I clean bad machine/ Supercool, supermean/ Feelin good for the man/ Superfly-here I stand" - Curtis Mayfield
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD

John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting