Author Topic: Can a F-22 fly like this?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Can a F-22 fly like this?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 02:56:43 AM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
...bunch of stuff I don't want to bore the people scrolling through the thread and making them re-read a wall of text, sorry MORAY37

from what I am reading of you, you seem to assume the "worst possible scenario" situations the F22 can be in.

let's just for a moment play that role...

I too have read Tom Clancy books, and let's assume the situation you describe, F22 VS Gripen.

the chances of an all out dog fight to save man kind depending on that are so remote I can't quantify it.

the advances and technology of the US military in a whole are so beyond the enemy this is the "best that needs to be" for literally the foreseeable future.

with the exception of an all out war of the planet (not WWIII but literally a war for survivability on the PLANET) nothing will even get to "engage" a plane like the F22.

if you truly want "to see what it can do in the worst" I am sorry, but in that situation you will not be alive, or able to see what happens.

think about that in overall design factors, instead of impressing John Q. Flight sim enthusiast at an air show and you'd probably appreciate the plane a bit more.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 04:10:42 AM »
Can't wait for PAK FA, Sukhoi t-50:)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:19:40 AM by croduh »

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 04:14:14 AM »
ofcorse if the enmy use EMP fields from a "nuke" will just fry all flight computers true?  hmmm well the F-22, F16, f15 , Su33 ect. are all stuffed. Ergo i'd rather a Saab Vigan , Draken , Tornado F3 , harrier, Jaguar, Mig 29 ,Su23, evan an A-10 in a dog fight .
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2007, 05:47:17 AM »
going to see an f22 fly today in RI!
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2007, 06:27:23 AM »
Todays US warplanes are hardened against EMP so that argument goes out the window. :D

Moray sez:FYI... I did find stuff about an exercise in Alaska, where a Gripen squadron came over and ACM'd an F22 squadron to a kill ratio of 20:1... but I can't confirm it anywhere....There was a link to a defense newsletter, but the link came up down

Seen the same report... It was the F-22 that had the 20:1 kill ratio.

Originally posted by SpikesX
Yes. But, like I said if the F/A-22 does not beat the Gripen, then the F-35 JSF will blow it away.
I know several pilots from Red Flag and the Alaskan games that will disagree.  Worst complaint all pilots have that go against the F-22 is that they absolutely can not get lock on, which means you go to guns ranges... But you have to see her first and pray the EW pukes don't snaggle your shot with a Check Six. :O

F-35 is very impressive with the jump-jet improvements over the AV-8B coupled with the F-22 technology.  Now that's going to be a "Buck Rodgers" attack plane to watch out for! :aok

Like Yeager, I remember the F-15 and 16 when it was new...  Hell, I remember when the F-86, F-80, F-100, F-101 were brand new.  Barely remember the F-51 being phased out.  Man, those were the days, my friends!

Oh, and if you're still reading this, Nellis AFB has a very impressive FIREPOWER display about every three months out in Nevada that's open to the public.  Well worth the seeing if you happen to be near Vegas.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:40:12 AM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
I remeber flying in a Red Flag a couple of years ago (when the F-22 was in OT&E), they sent out 1 F-22 vs 4 F-15C's with Weapon School IP's in the Eagles and a relatively "new" F-22 pilot in the Raptor.  The 15's all died within minutes and the only time they ever saw the 22 was when he blew by them on the way home.  They never once saw him on radar or visually, yet he killed them all without ever seeing them.  The Grippen may be more maneuverable, but the 22 and then 35 have the HUGE leap in Sensor technology and data link capability.

I have been in the USAF for 22+ years, 10 as a crew chief on fighters, 10 as a helicopter flight engineer and now these past 2 years as a Global Hawk sensor operator and the 22 impresses the hell outta me(I am blown away by the capabilities of the F-35).

These days it's about who finds who first.

J
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
If you ask me, it is highly unlikely that any nato plane will fight another nato supported jet.Or at least in the near future.

Rather try comparing some other countries jets vs these.

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
With AWACS in the area? F-15.

Who's AWACS? Brit or Yank?

Back to the original post - all I learned from the film is the Russion plane stalls. Just like any other plane. Name a current combat aircraft in use with just about any airforce and I can find you a film that's just as impressive. Jeez - you can even find films that makes the Tornado F3 look good.

The other thing to remember is that as good as the Russian planes get, if the country flying them neglects to tell their pilots what all the buttons do, or forgets to order the translated-from-cyrillic version of the instruction book, you can expect to see them high tail it for air bases in Iran the first time they are threatened with combat.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
Originally posted by wooley
The other thing to remember is that as good as the Russian planes get, if the country flying them neglects to tell their pilots what all the buttons do, or forgets to order the translated-from-cyrillic version of the instruction book, you can expect to see them high tail it for air bases in Iran the first time they are threatened with combat.

What do you think, other countries don't do training on planes?.They wouldn't spent billions on jets just to put pilots in them without adequate training.Geez...

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
Originally posted by jollyFE
...I am blown away by the capabilities of the F-35...

Have the 35's weight issues been resolved?

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »
Originally posted by croduh
What do you think, other countries don't do training on planes?.They wouldn't spent billions on jets just to put pilots in them without adequate training.Geez...

Actually, that's precisely what many of them (edit :- appear to) do.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »
Hmm, name one.

Btw, i am so in the mood for internet purse fight!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2007, 03:19:36 PM »
Originally posted by croduh
Hmm, name one.

Btw, i am so in the mood for internet purse fight!

Put some rolls of coins in your purse and you'll hit harder with it. :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
:rofl
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »
shot of an f22 I took today in RI!

Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼