Author Topic: Suggestion.  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Suggestion.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 01:13:28 AM »
I think walkons are good to have in general.  When I get them into my group in a scenerio, I brief them as best I can, and then off we go.  Some of them are fine; some of them are very green, fly off, and you never hear from them again.  However, I expect some of them to be like that, just like probably happened in real life from time to time, and I figure they help at least in providing another plane for the enemy to have to focus on.

Also, I think it helps as a way for some new guys to check out scenarios and for old hands to participate in scenarios where they can't commit but would love to play if they are available that day.

The biggest problem with organizing walkons was, in my opinion, greatly reduced in Operation Husky by closing at locking the doors at "start time" and having takeoff at least 15 minutes after "start time".  Gone was the process of having walkons showing up all the way to takeoff, which really strained coordination.

This isn't to say there isn't the infrequent problem (like what Skyfoxx is talking about), but I think overall it's good.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 01:17:32 AM by Brooke »

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 02:06:49 AM »
How many registered didn't show, and how many walkons did?

And let's call a spade a spade: vanscrew is no noob, he's not just unfamiliar with the rules, he's trying to be disruptive. Lumping everyone who didn't register in with the likes of him is insulting.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 03:51:37 AM »
Perhaps there could be a separate registration of sorts for walk ons and people who for one reason or another feel they cannot commit to being in each and every frame of the scenario.

It could be a general registration without choice of allied or axis. This way maybe we could have a pool of players who are at least familiar with the rules to fill in for squads that are short of players.

I am not saying not to allow walk ons like we have currently as I think they are probably still needed. I think it would be worth a try although it may take a little "advertising".

ie "Enlist now.. no commitment necessary. Please read the rules" ;)

Edit: maybe someone could even write a brief scenario walk on guide. Or even one for New Scenario Pilots
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:55:57 AM by McDeath »
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
Re: Suggestion.
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 07:33:30 AM »
Originally posted by Fencer51
I have been in three scenarios and in each both sides flew short every frame.

In AirWarrior we overbooked the scenarios because we expect people to not show, loose interest and have family emergencies occur.

Why does AH limit the registration to the maximum number of fliers?  Why not over book by 20 or 30 percent or even 40 percent and let the CO's and their staffs handle the assignments and coordination.

I would ask that everyone return to Fencers original topic above. I should not have posted what I did in anger or in Fencers thread for that matter, and for that I apologize to you Fencer. :o

What I posted was true but I should not have brought it up here and I won't post in this thread again after this.
And Stub I appreciate you having the smarts to pm me on this. I'm glad you did. We found some comon ground and had a good converstaion in private.

Fencer I hope the squad hopper comment wasn't directed at me, I mean I've only been in two squads in 11 years. :)

As for over booking scenarios, imo that just might work in keeping the numbers closer to where they need to be. I mean there are always gonna be no-shows, thats a given.

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
It was perfectly relevant to the subject at hand, IMO skyfoxx.

The original post had been replied to, and it was discussed.

Going back to his original post, I will say one thing: It screws the CO over. If you "overbook" you can't inflate properly. You can't say "I'm expecting 20% no-shows so we'll overbook by 20%" because the structure of those extra bodies will not "fill in" properly. Say you have units of 8, or 12. You can't just add 20% to each unit. You add another unit of 8 (or 12). So you just take more pilots and thin them out to the same ineffective % (you just have more ineffective units to spread around). You can't combine them as easily because that's a last resort, and chances are the different groups haven't flown with each other or practiced together.

Basically Adding extra slots doesn't buffer against "no-shows" -- it just makes more units with the same % of "no-shows."

As a CO you need to know you've got N resources to use against the enemy. Take for example Op Husky Frame 1. We were supposed to have 25% of our players in Ju88s. We had 7 players. There's a big difference between 7 and 24 (our limit I think). Now, we were able to severely hurt 1 CV and sink 1 CA with 7x Ju88s. If we'd had the resources that were assigned to Ju88s (if the blighters had shown up!) we'd have sunk both of your CV groups and backed you into a corner on Malta after frame 1.

Imagine if we did Big Week, and out of 50 bomber slots only 5 showed up. Doesn't matter how much you overbook, if the ratio holds the entire event is hosed for that CO.

IMO overbooking doesn't help (as we have expanding limits as-is). We need to figure a way to get folks to show up if they sign up.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Suggestion.
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
ISay you have units of 8, or 12. You can't just add 20% to each unit. You add another unit of 8 (or 12).

A dumb question... Why cant one add 20% to each unit?
If the rules permit such, IMHO, it would be much more reasonable to spread the additional pilots all over. Making a one new unit out of them would be more trouble for command structure.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Hedworx

• Copper Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »
As Old Sport suggested, I think the scenarios need to be 'advertised' more.  I'm fairly new to AH and didn't realize that there were scenarios until I was bored one day at work and decided to check out everything in the forums.  The SE forum is low on the page and I'm guessing a lot of people go straight to 'help and training' if they are new and 'general discussion' if they want.....well, general discussion.  I didn't know that there was a vote as to which new plane to incorporate (old news..don't go looking for a new one) until I got the pop up in the middle of the screen after logging on to fly.  I myself have been wanting to fly in a scenario, since that is one reason I decided on AH, but since I am fairly new, I don't know exactly where to start.  There may be one already, but a 'what to do' and 'what to expect' for scenaios sticky may help others get their foot in the door.  A 'register by squad' sounds like a good idea also.  Again, for the first timers, having a squad mate that they are familiar with, may make it easier for them to get involved and not skitish about signing up.  If it didn't pay to advertise, we would be able to watch our favorite tv show without being interupted every 15 minutes.

Enjoy :)
"Shunter"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
Originally posted by McDeath
Edit: maybe someone could even write a brief scenario walk on guide. Or even one for New Scenario Pilots

Here's one.  It's accessible from ahevents.org in the scenarios section:

http://ahevents.org/scenario-related/how-to-participate-in-aces-high-scenarios.html

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »
Originally posted by Hedworx
As Old Sport suggested, I think the scenarios need to be 'advertised' more.  

Advertising scenarios would indeed bring in more pilots.  We try what we can think of to do that.  For example, we post in various places in the message board, we get a banner up on the events calendar, and we talk about it in the main arenas from time to time.

However, we can't automatically put it up as a message of the day in AH, as scenarios are done by volunteers who are not HTC staff -- we are all just players.  So, we don't have the ability to do that and can only request it.  Then it may or may not go up depending on what HTC wants to put in the message of the day.  We also can't start doing things on HTC's web site.

If anyone has suggestions how to reach more people, I would love to hear it, because I am eager to get the word out more pervasively.

As for info on scenarios, what they are like, how to sign up, what to do on game day, what past scenarios have been like (including pictorials of the action), please visit the scenarios link on ahevents.org:

http://ahevents.org/scenario-related/scenarios.html

Offline Hedworx

• Copper Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 03:19:40 PM »
My misunderstanding......I didn't realize that the scenarios were put on by volunteers.  That also helps clear up my wondering as to why the special events page was on another site.

I'll do my best to make it to the next scenario and see if I can drag some people along.  A previous commitment kept me from joining the last.  As I said before, this is one reason why I chose to join AH.  I believe the scenarios would immerse one deeper into the simulation of combat flying, than just flying around in furballs.....which I find entertaining as well.

Brooke...thanks for giving the links.

On another note, I'd like to try the AHXAR out sometime as well.  Maybe crash into a few hangers.
"Shunter"

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: Suggestion.
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
Originally posted by Skyfoxx
Fencer I hope the squad hopper comment wasn't directed at me, I mean I've only been in two squads in 11 years. :)

Not at all Skyfoxx, I enjoyed flying with you and your guys in Operation Downfall and BoB06.

Just poking fun at you on the thread hijack, no harm no foul.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 05:44:15 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
How bout a week night frame now and then so some of us weekend work types can get a shot?

I'm suffering from lack of scenario flying :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »
I can only speak for myself here, but I couldn't make it even if it were on Friday nights. It would still take 3 hours, plus an hour before to set up, and then not only are the US folks screwed time-wise, (stretching probably to 11-12 at night) but that precludes all Euro folks, who would have to stay up to 6-7 am (all night).

Weekends are really the only way to allow such a large time frame, and allow as many people as possible to sign up for it.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
FENCER
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
Fencer,

Clean your inbox so I can respond to the past 2 PMs! :)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
Suggestion.
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:34 PM »
Sorry about that, all cleaned out now your CMness.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.