Author Topic: The Secret Of The Mesquito  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
The Secret Of The Mesquito
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Maybe it was impossible to find with radar because it was hugging the ground?

I don't buy that, though. I think it was the tactics and the way it was used that made it undetectable most of the time. Other times the LW just weren't in a position to do diddley about it.

Nope even the high flying B IVs were extremely difficult to detect.

It may be most famous for its daring low level raids, but was used as much as a high alt flyer also.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 04:19:43 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
I think it was stealthy because it didn't fly in a box of thousands.

The Mosquito with its wooden exterior instead of metal,  made the aircraft reflect less of the radiation that radar systems bounce off objects to identify them.  It was an early use of what engineers call RAM, or radar-absorbing material.

Not saying it was the intent of the designers to make it stealthy, it was just an unexpected benefit.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:22:18 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
Then almost ALL wooden planes should be invisible to radar then.

Other planes that are made of wook just like Mosquito...

La-5
La-7
Yak-9T

These planes should be invisible to radar then:aok

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3

La-5
La-7
Yak-9T

And the onezz made of cloth
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
Re: The Secret Of The Mesquito
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
Originally posted by BennyBeaver
the mesquito...a great flyer...better at recon...but not in this game

The mesquito fighter was made of all wood...exept the engine. Making it almost invisible to radar during WWII. But in this game, it shows up perfectly on radar. We should make it that the mesquito, a great plane....stealthy. like it was during WWII!

Thanks

Weve already had this descusion:mad:

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire

Accordian too Golden Books Big buk on airesplanes Teh mesquiteoz was made of all wood accept for the engine, wires, cables, wheels, struts, guns, armumentz, fulltanks and all th stuff that was made of cloth adn metaLs.

There, fixed.

:rofl :rofl :rofl Hub, you gave me a great laugh... thank you! :aok

Krusty, I think AkAk is right about the Mossie and radar. Don't forget that those devices were at the beginning of history of radio detection, they weren't like the ones we have now. An all wooden plane may have benefit of it, being more difficult to detect.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »
Heheh:

There was in fact a Mossie which was left to rot somewhere in Mexico, Mexico City I think. IIRC the bits are now with a fellow named Jim Dearborn.

Also IIRC, a Mossie was used at some point well after the war by the CIA - may even have been the one at Mexico City.

So jeh, meng, it was de fastest Mezquito in all Mehico, joo know.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
yup them thar mosquito's were invisible as the F-22 is...

A small batch of preproduction He-219A-0s was nevertheless delivered to 1st Squadron, 1st Night Fighter Group (I/NJG-1) at Venlo, The Netherlands, in April 1943. In the first operational mission, on the night of June 11-12, 1943, one of these preproduction aircraft downed five British "Lancaster" bombers. Over the next 10 days, 20 RAF bombers were shot down, including six of the extremely fast "Mosquitoes" (which commonly hit speeds near 650 kph/400 mph). The He-219 was fitted with the combat-tested Telefunken FuG-212 ("FuG" for "funkgerat" or "radio equipment") "Lichenstein" C-1 intercept radar, first used operationally in early 1942. The radar's range was limited to 4-6 km (3-4 mi), and its coverage was only a 70-degree cone facing forward, so the aircraft worked best in an integrated air defense system with ground radars, radio networks, and ground observers pointing out potential targets.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 07:17:22 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
yup them thar mosquito's were invisible as the F-22 is...

Never said they were as stealthy as today's modern stealth fighters.  But no matter what you claim, it will not change the fact the Mossie is considered to be the "first stealth aircraft" due to its wooden construction.  As I mentioned before, the Mossie wood construction bounced less signals off than an all metal aircraft, which resulted in a smaller radar signature for the Mossie and coupled with the tactics they used, made the Mossie rather difficult to pick up on radar.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 07:41:55 PM »
RUN FOREST!!!!!!

My 200th post!!!!!
AHHH classic

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 07:56:53 PM »
Actually my comment was referring to the current 'debate' around the stealthiness of the F-22 (there seems to be some issues around its IR signature and X-band profile).

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: The Secret Of The Mesquito
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 08:38:05 PM »
the mesquito...a great flyer...better at recon...but not in this game

The mesquito fighter was made of all wood...exept the engine. Making it almost invisible to radar during WWII. But in this game, it shows up perfectly on radar. We should make it that the mesquito, a great plane....stealthy. like it was during WWII!

Thanks

Must have seen the show on Discovery or whatever yesterday afternoon
                                                                                      Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 09:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3

La-5
La-7
Yak-9T

Actually the problem is not that metel or wood are better or worse to detect useing WWII style radar. The fact of the matter is that cartoon airplanes show up just fine on cartoon radar. Cartoon wood used in cartoon mossie's burns for an incredibly long time before its cartoon fuel tanks full of cartoon fuel explode.

Bugs bunny and Daffy duck will be giving a class on this in the TA if anyone is interested.And by the way, it's DUCK SEASON!  And I DEMAND that you shoot me now!
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Actually my comment was referring to the current 'debate' around the stealthiness of the F-22 (there seems to be some issues around its IR signature and X-band profile).

Whatever your intention, what you posted is known to science as bull****.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Monster0

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vetgamer.com
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »
Many mossie missions were under noe under 50ft.  One thing is for sure before the mossie it was more luck then skill on landing bombs on targets.  Most of the clips I saw on the mossie showed some nice bombing runs.  I'm also speaking about the first version without cannons. Bomber and Recon.